News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Where do you sit on the Dawkins belief scale?

Started by Tank, August 04, 2011, 07:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

In The God Delusion Richard Dawkins presents a scale of belief in god, it has often been refered to as the "Dawkins Scale".

1. Strong theist. 100 percent possibility of God. In the words of C.G. Jung, 'I do not believe, I know.'
    2. Very high probability but short of 100 per cent. De facto theist. 'I cannot know for certain, but I
       strongly believe in God and live my life on the assumption that he is there
    3. Higher than 50 per cent but not very high. Technically agnostic but leaning towards theism.
       'I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God.'
    4. Exactly 50 per cent. Completely impartial agnostic. 'God's existence and non-existence are
       exactly equiprobable.'
    5. Lower than 50 per cent but not very low. Technically agnostic but leaning towards atheism.
       'I don't know whether God exists but I'm inclined to be sceptical.'
    6. Very low probability, but short of zero. De facto atheist. 'I cannot know for certain but I think God
       is very improbable, and I live my life on the assumption that he is not there.'
    7. Strong atheist. 'I know there is no God, with the same conviction as Jung 'knows' there is one.'

Where do you sit on this scale?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Stevil

I'm incredibly close to being a 7. Problem is it is hard to say there is no god for sure, when there is no clear definition of what a god is.

Awolf26

I am a clear and strident 6. Many of my "agnostic" friends say that if I am not a 7, then I'm not an atheist. "You have to be 100% certain", they say. No rational scientific thinker is going to be 100% certain about anything. I think they just don't want to be "labeled" an atheist. Oh agnostics  ::)

"The responsible scientist, that is, respects the fact that she is not absolutely certain, and is thus ready to be proved wrong. Indeed, any responsible scientist can tell you what evidence would cause her to abandon her hypothesis; whereas it is the rare religious believer indeed who is able to do this." - Troy Jollimore

Tank

Quote from: Stevil on August 04, 2011, 07:41:12 PM
I'm incredibly close to being a 7. Problem is it is hard to say there is no god for sure, when there is no clear definition of what a god is.
Well I used to say I was a 6 in my head and a 7 in my heart.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

Quote from: Awolf26 on August 04, 2011, 07:43:46 PM
I am a clear and strident 6. Many of my "agnostic" friends say that if I am not a 7, then I'm not an atheist. "You have to be 100% certain", they say. No rational scientific thinker is going to be 100% certain about anything. I think they just don't want to be "labeled" an atheist. Oh agnostics  ::)

"The responsible scientist, that is, respects the fact that she is not absolutely certain, and is thus ready to be proved wrong. Indeed, any responsible scientist can tell you what evidence would cause her to abandon her hypothesis; whereas it is the rare religious believer indeed who is able to do this." - Troy Jollimore
Agreed. I must say I'm enjoying your posts Awolf26.

Awolf26

OldGit

For me, when improbability gets to a certain point it is equivalent to definite nonexistence.  I am happy to state that Russel's teapot is definitely not up there - philosophers and logicians say it just might be, but we all know it's not.  For me, it's the same with god. Thus I can with honesty tick 7 and not 6.

Sweetdeath

I guess I am a 6, only because my pet rat might be God. XD

But seriously.. I'm 99.9% certain. And I do live by "even if  a god/gods exist, I could care fucking less. " :D
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Whitney

A 6...I can't rule out the involvement of something beyond our current understanding of reality that could be the cause of all that exists and can think of way in which that something could rightly be labeled god; but given the lack of proof I have no reason to think that anything fitting the god label (or supernatural for that matter) exists. 

Stevil

Quote from: Whitney on August 05, 2011, 05:02:48 PM
A 6...I can't rule out the involvement of something beyond our current understanding of reality that could be the cause of all that exists and can think of way in which that something could rightly be labeled god; but given the lack of proof I have no reason to think that anything fitting the god label (or supernatural for that matter) exists. 
So to be a god this entity has to have created all of existence?
This is an action rather than a being. To be considered as human I don't have to have created a house, or have made an omellete for that matter.

Whitney

Quote from: Stevil on August 05, 2011, 07:38:50 PM

I take the word god to mean a being that created all that exists.

A highly intelligent alien who evolved into existence by natural processes yet has the ability to create other beings would not be a god.

Tank

Quote from: Whitney on August 05, 2011, 05:02:48 PM
This is an action rather than a being. To be considered as human I don't have to have created a house, or have made an omellete for that matter.
But isn't it an act only God could carry out and an entity that could not do that could not be God (in the Xian/Muslim/Jewish sense)?

Stevil

Quote from: Tank on August 05, 2011, 07:44:00 PM
But isn't it an act only God could carry out and an entity that could not do that could not be God (in the Xian/Muslim/Jewish sense)?
As an Atheist I don't think we should limit the definition of god to the Christian/Muslim/Jewish sense. It seems to me they define a personality as their god rather than define what a god is.
A better description might be
A god is not constrained by space, time or substance.
A god has the ability to conjure up energy/matter at will from nothing.
A god is an intelligent entity and can understand information can derive knowledge and can make informed decisions and act unconstrained upon those decisions.

But it seems that YHWH doesn't even need to prove any of the requirements of a god. People just say that they know that YHWH exists, that they know that YHWH created existence, that they know that YHWH is all powerful, all knowing.

I am just not clear what would define a god and hence how we can recognise one when we see one. If you merely state that a god was the entity that created existence then you will never know who is god unless you can go back in time and see this entity perform this one time act. After this one time act has been performed now this god becomes redundant. Just seems like a fill of the gap of knowledge with regards to understanding where energy/matter came from.

Evilbeagle

I'd have to say a 6.  In fact, if when I died and I found that there was a God, I would have a few things to say to him.

I don't have a problem with God(s) so much as I have about the people who supposedly worship them.
England expects every man to heed the old lie: "Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori"

Medusa

I'm a 6. The fact is I don't even get into if God exists questions anymore.

Here is the truth for me. And though it may confuse people, it's the simple answer I always give when asked.

God does not exist for me.

I word it that way for a reason. If God were to come down and float down in a white chariot and said TADA! I would say who cares? Not I. I choose to live in my world where God does not exist for me.
She has the blood of reptile....just underneath her skin...