News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Northern Humans Had Bigger Brains, to Cope With the Low Light Levels

Started by Tank, August 05, 2011, 01:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Northern Humans Had Bigger Brains, to Cope With the Low Light Levels, Study Finds

QuoteScienceDaily (Aug. 5, 2011) — The farther that human populations live from the equator, the bigger their brains, according to a new study by Oxford University. But it turns out that this is not because they are smarter, but because they need bigger vision areas in the brain to cope with the low light levels experienced at high latitudes.

Scientists have found that people living in countries with dull, grey, cloudy skies and long winters have evolved bigger eyes and brains so they can visually process what they see, reports the journal Biology Letters.

The researchers measured the eye socket and brain volumes of 55 skulls, dating from the 1800s, from museum collections. The skulls represented 12 different populations from across the globe. The volume of the eye sockets and brain cavities were then plotted against the latitude of the central point of each individual's country of origin. The researchers found that the size of both the brain and the eyes could be directly linked to the latitude of the country from which the individual came...

Interesting correlation between brian size and environment.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

OldGit

A sample of 55 covering 12 populations, dating back only 200 years, seems a bit small.  One would like to know how large the effect is.

I would love to see a study on the brain sizes of supporters of certain soccer teams. ;D

Tank

Quote from: OldGit on August 05, 2011, 04:51:58 PM
A sample of 55 covering 12 populations, dating back only 200 years, seems a bit small.  One would like to know how large the effect is.

I would love to see a study on the brain sizes of supporters of certain soccer teams. ;D
They couldn't find their to the testing centre!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Doesn't say whether it's from populations that migrated from those environments as children to another environment with more light...it would be interesting to see if that brain-size correlation is hereditary rather than due to brain plasticity. Though with the eyes...well.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey