News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Are you a hardcore atheist?

Started by Whitney, December 18, 2008, 02:14:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medusa

Quote from: Tank on July 28, 2011, 08:47:17 AM
Quote from: Medusa on July 28, 2011, 01:26:13 AM
What's the blasphemy challenge?  ???
http://www.blasphemychallenge.com/

Ahh. Well then no, I have not done that. I don't believe in the bible so I see no need to deny what I don't believe in. Now if this was some kind of cussing contest. Well..I'm good at that. Both in English and Spanish! :D
She has the blood of reptile....just underneath her skin...

MinnesotaMike

1. Participated in the Blasphemy Challenge.
       2. Met at least one of the Four Horsemen (Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dennett, Christopher Hitchens, Sam Harris) in person.
       3. Created an atheist blog.
       4. Used the Flying Spaghetti Monster in a religious debate with someone.
       5. Gotten offended when someone called you an agnostic.
       6. Been unable to watch Growing Pains reruns because of Kirk Cameron.
      7. Own more Bibles than most Christians you know.
      8. Have at least one Bible with your personal annotations regarding contradictions, disturbing parts, etc.
      9. Have come out as an atheist to your family.
      10. Attended a campus or off-campus atheist gathering.
      11. Are a member of an organized atheist/Humanist/etc. organization.
      12. Had a Humanist wedding ceremony.
      13. Donated money to an atheist organization.
      14. Have a bookshelf dedicated solely to Richard Dawkins.
      15. Lost the friendship of someone you know because of your non-theism.
      16. Tried to argue or have a discussion with someone who stopped you on the street to proselytize.
      17. Had to hide your atheist beliefs on a first date because you didn't want to scare him/her away.
      18. Own a stockpile of atheist paraphernalia (bumper stickers, buttons, shirts, etc).
      19. Attended a protest that involved religion.
      20. Attended an atheist conference.
      21. Subscribe to Pat Condell's YouTube channel.
      22. Started an atheist group in your area or school.
      23. Successfully converted someone to atheism.
      24. Have already made plans to donate your body to science after you die.
      25. Told someone you're an atheist only because you wanted to see the person's reaction.
     26. Had to think twice before screaming "Oh God!" during sex. Or you said something else in its place.
      27. Lost a job because of your atheism.
      28. Formed a bond with someone specifically because of your mutual atheism (meeting this person at a local gathering or conference doesn't count).
      29. Have crossed 'In God We Trust' off of money or put a pro-church-state-separation stamp on dollar bills.
      30. Refused to recite the Pledge of Allegiance.
      31. Said "Gesundheit!" (or nothing at all) after someone sneezed because you didn't want to say "Bless you!"
      32. Have ever chosen not to clasp your hands together out of fear someone might think you're praying.
      33. Have turned on Christian TV because you needed something entertaining to watch.
      34. Are a 2nd or 3rd (or more) generation atheist.
      35. Have "atheism" listed on your Facebook or dating profile and not a euphemistic variant.
      36. Attended an atheist's funeral (i.e. a non-religious service).
      37. Subscribe to an freethought magazine (e.g. Free Inquiry, Skeptic)
      38. Have been interviewed by a reporter because of your atheism.
      39. Written a letter-to-the-editor about an issue related to your non-belief in God.
      40. Gave a friend or acquaintance a New Atheist book as a gift.
      41. Wear pro-atheist clothing in public.
      42. Have invited Mormons/Jehovah's Witnesses into your house specifically because you wanted to argue with them.
      43. Have been physically threatened (or beaten up) because you didn't believe in God.
      44. Receive Google Alerts on atheism (or variants).
      45. Received fewer Christmas presents than expected because people assumed you didn't celebrate it.
      46. Visited The Creation Museum or saw Ben Stein's Expelled just so you could keep tabs on the enemy.
      47. Refuse to tell anyone what your sign because it doesn't matter at all.
      48. Are on a mailing list for a Christian organization just so you can see what they're up to
      49. Have kept your eyes open while you watched others around you pray.
      50. Avoid even Unitarian churches because they're too close to religion for you.
Absence of knowledge is not reason for faith.

I'm infallible (if I'm not mistaken)

Awolf26

2. Met at least one of the Four Horsemen (Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dennett, Christopher Hitchens, Sam Harris) in person.
7. Own more Bibles than most Christians you know. <--Used to
8. Have at least one Bible with your personal annotations regarding contradictions, disturbing parts, etc.
14. Have a bookshelf dedicated solely to Richard Dawkins. <--Ebooks
16. Tried to argue or have a discussion with someone who stopped you on the street to proselytize.
17. Had to hide your atheist beliefs on a first date because you didn't want to scare him/her away.
18. Own a stockpile of atheist paraphernalia (bumper stickers, buttons, shirts, etc).
23. Successfully de-converted someone to atheism.
25. Told someone you're an atheist only because you wanted to see the person's reaction.
26. Had to think twice before screaming Oh God! during sex. Or you said something else in its place.
28. Formed a bond with someone specifically because of your mutual atheism (meeting this person at a local gathering or conference doesn't count).
29. Have crossed In God We Trust off of $ or put a pro-church-state-separation stamp on â€" dollar bills.
31. Said "Gesundheit!" (or nothing at all) after someone sneezed because you didn't want to say "Bless you!"
32. Have ever chosen not to clasp your hands together out of fear someone might think you're praying.
33. Have turned on Christian TV because you needed something entertaining to watch.
34. Are a 2nd or 3rd (or more) generation atheist. <---Kind of.
35. Have atheism listed on your Facebook or dating profile and not a euphemistic variant.<---I used to maintaining the null hypothesis, but then they stuck that "other" above it, so now it says both atheist and the variant
36. Attended an atheist funeral (i.e. a non-religious service).
39. Written a letter-to-the-editor about an issue related to your non-belief in God.
41. Wear pro-atheist clothing in public. <--If I had any
42. Have invited Mormons/Jehovah's Witnesses into your house specifically because you wanted to argue with them. <--Lived with a mormon and loved to argue
43. Have been physically threatened (or beaten up) because you didn't believe in God. <--Threatened
44. Receive Google Alerts on atheism (or variants).
45. Received fewer Christmas presents than expected because people assumed you didn't celebrate it.
46. Visited The Creation Museum or saw Ben Stein's Expelled just so you could keep tabs on the enemy.
47. Refuse to tell anyone what your sign is because it doesn't matter at all.<--Usually say "that's stupid" when asked
48. Are on a mailing list for a Christian organization just so you can see what they're up to
50. Avoid even Unitarian churches because they're too close to religion for you.

Crow

2. Met at least one of the Four Horsemen in person.
9. Have come out as an atheist to your family. Never needed to its pretty obvious
14. Have a bookshelf dedicated solely to Richard Dawkins.Never read any of them
23. Successfully de-converted someone to atheism. Majority of my family and friends, wasn't intentional just happened
25. Told someone you're an atheist only because you wanted to see the person's reaction. Nope but told an atheist friend I was converting to Islam for shits and giggles
26. Had to think twice before screaming "Oh God!" during sex. Or you said something else in its place.
27. Lost a job because of your atheism. Well almost got an official warning
28. Formed a bond with someone specifically because of your mutual atheism
29. Have crossed "In God We Trust" off or put a pro-church-state-separation stamp on dollar bills.
31. Said "Gesundheit!" (or nothing at all) after someone sneezed because you didn't want to say "Bless you!" This is my biggest pet peeve, the idiocy of the phrase is outstanding and those that believe the reason for the saying is beyond belief
34. Are a 2nd or 3rd (or more) generation atheist. Kinda my granddad was atheist
35. Have atheism listed on your Facebook or dating profile and not a euphemistic variant. Don't use facebook or dating sites (I don't like them)
36. Attended an atheist's funeral (i.e. a non-religious service).
42. Have invited Mormons/Jehovah's Witnesses into your house specifically because you wanted to argue with them.
43. Have been physically threatened (or beaten up) because you didn't believe in God.
44. Receive Google Alerts on atheism (or variants).
47. Refuse to tell anyone what your sign is because it doesn't matter at all.
48. Are on a mailing list for a Christian organization just so you can see what they're up to.
50. Avoid even Unitarian churches because they're too close to religion for you. No problem going into churches but only go in if there architecturally interesting.
Retired member.

Willow

2. Met at least one of the “Four Horsemen” (Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dennett, Christopher Hitchens, Sam Harris) in person.
      14. Have a bookshelf dedicated solely to Richard Dawkins.  <--I like Richard Dawkins, but I don't like him that much.
      17. Had to hide your atheist beliefs on a first date because you didn’t want to scare him/her away.
      21. Subscribe to Pat Condell’s YouTube channel.
      23. Successfully “de-converted” someone to atheism.
      25. Told someone you’re an atheist only because you wanted to see the person’s reaction.
     26. Had to think twice before screaming “Oh God!” during sex. Or you said something else in its place. I say "oh man!"
      28. Formed a bond with someone specifically because of your mutual atheism (meeting this person at a local gathering or conference doesn’t count).
      29. Have crossed “In God We Trust” off of â€" or put a pro-church-state-separation stamp on â€" dollar bills.
      31. Said “Gesundheit!” (or nothing at all) after someone sneezed because you didn’t want to say “Bless you!”
      32. Have ever chosen not to clasp your hands together out of fear someone might think you’re praying.
      34. Are a 2nd or 3rd (or more) generation atheist.
      35. Have “atheism” listed on your Facebook or dating profile â€" and not a euphemistic variant.
      36. Attended an atheist’s funeral (i.e. a non-religious service).
      42. Have invited Mormons/Jehovah’s Witnesses into your house specifically because you wanted to argue with them.
      43. Have been physically threatened (or beaten up) because you didn’t believe in God.
      44. Receive Google Alerts on “atheism” (or variants).
      45. Received fewer Christmas presents than expected because people assumed you didn’t celebrate it.
      46. Visited The Creation Museum or saw Ben Stein’s Expelled just so you could keep tabs on the “enemy.”
      47. Refuse to tell anyone what your “sign” is… because it doesn’t matter at all.
      48. Are on a mailing list for a Christian organization just so you can see what they’re up to…
      50. Avoid even Unitarian churches because they’re too close to religion for you.

I only got 7, but I didn't understand them all, and I think this is a list of militant behaviours rather than showing certainty of disbelief.

Whitney

Quote from: Willow on August 04, 2011, 06:59:48 PM
I only got 7, but I didn't understand them all, and I think this is a list of militant behaviours rather than showing certainty of disbelief.

ya..it's not a serious list.

Awolf26

Quote from: Willow on August 04, 2011, 06:59:48 PM

Not a fan of the term "militant" atheist.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/our-humanity-naturally/201102/the-myth-militant-atheism

"How can you be a militant atheist? It's like sleeping furiously" -- AC Grayling

Willow

Quote from: Awolf26 on August 04, 2011, 07:49:20 PM

"How can you be a militant atheist? It's like sleeping furiously" -- AC Grayling

Thankyou, I read the article.
I think what I meant that the list mostly includes matters of being outspoken and confrontational.  Clearly religious militants are usually violent in their militancy and can be mass murderers, which is a different kettle of fish.

I liked the quiz.  Must try harder (louder).