News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Name your Favourite Language

Started by Yagi-Atama, July 29, 2011, 04:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cecilie

I find the nordic languages amusing. Even some dialects in my native country sound completely foreign.
The world's what you create.

DeterminedJuliet

I took a couple Russian courses in university and I loved it, I'd really like to pick it up again sometime. Going to St.Petersburg is on my bucket list. :)
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on August 01, 2011, 10:26:26 PM
I took a couple Russian courses in university and I loved it, I'd really like to pick it up again sometime. Going to St.Petersburg is on my bucket list. :)

I love listening to Russian music, but reading/writing it is tough! :<
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Looncall

I quite like Welsh. It sounds musical, it has some neat unusual sounds, and it is pronounced pretty much as it is spelled (what on earth was it that happened to Gaelic?).

Tank

Quote from: Looncall on August 02, 2011, 05:34:51 PM
I quite like Welsh. It sounds musical, it has some neat unusual sounds, and it is pronounced pretty much as it is spelled (what on earth was it that happened to Gaelic?).

So pronounce this Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Looncall

Quote from: Tank on August 02, 2011, 05:36:53 PM

So pronounce this Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch  ;D

I hope I could come close, but not rapidly at all. what does it mean?

Tank

Quote from: Looncall on August 02, 2011, 06:20:00 PM

So pronounce this Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch  ;D

It's a station name. I linked the name to its Wiki page which shows how it should be pronounced  8)

EDIT. There is an audio file on the Wiki page that actually demonstrates the pronunciation. Good luck :)
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Looncall

Quote from: Tank on August 02, 2011, 06:39:37 PM

It's a station name. I linked the name to its Wiki page which shows how it should be pronounced  8)

EDIT. There is an audio file on the Wiki page that actually demonstrates the pronunciation. Good luck :)

Thanks.

That sort of thing could make filling out forms really tiresome.

I once worked in a lab on the outskirts of London. A native Welsh speaker in the lab had labelled the distilled water tank "DWR", which means water in Welsh. It puzzled some visitors.

Tank

Quote from: Looncall on August 02, 2011, 07:00:19 PM
Quote from: Tank on August 02, 2011, 06:39:37 PM

It's a station name. I linked the name to its Wiki page which shows how it should be pronounced  8)

Thanks.

That sort of thing could make filling out forms really tiresome.

I once worked in a lab on the outskirts of London. A native Welsh speaker in the lab had labelled the distilled water tank "DWR", which means water in Welsh. It puzzled some visitors.

Lol.

CHI83

My favourite language would be french (even though I don't know alot)  because it flows so nicely.

Sweetdeath

I really like the names of french food/beverages. I don't know why.

Mm.. Gateau <3
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Ragnar

Quote from: OldGit on August 01, 2011, 10:22:56 AM
Quote from: RagnarThe vast majority of Old English people hear today is Winchester Standard West Saxon, which is about as representative to Old English as BBC English represents post modern English.
Absolutely.  I live in Mercian, Anglian territory.  But there are very few connected texts of literary interest which are not in the W.S. standard.

QuoteThe West Saxons pronounced their vowels as we all recognise them today.

Oh no!  Have you ever heard of the great vowel shift in Middle English?

QuoteThere is a vowel shift which makes the difference between Saxon English and Angle English.

No, just a dialectal difference, which is not the same thing.  Are you confusing this with the great vowel shift in M. E.?

Yes, I know about the GVS, which basically meant that the tongue became closer to the roof of the mouth when pronouncing long vowels.  So "boots on our feet" would have sounded like "boats on our fate" before the GVS.

But Middle English is complicated, because there isn't a standard version of Middle English.  ME evolved as a result of the loss of standardisation in Old English after the Norman Conquest.  But the GVS started in the 14th century.

Some dialects were resistant to the GVS.  Other dialects had a vowel shift, but not in the same way as each other.

One dialectic difference between Mercian and West Saxon was that Mercians often pronounced "O" where West Saxons pronounced "A", and West Saxon F was pronounced more like a V
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this. - Terry Pratchett.

OldGit

QuoteThe West Saxons pronounced their vowels as we all recognise them today.

So if you know of the GVS, you know that no dialect of A/S has kept its vowels into Mod.E.  Not the long ones, anyway.

QuoteBut Middle English is complicated, because there isn't a standard version of Middle English.

Of course there isn't, it runs from early C12 damn nearly to Shakespeare, over what were at that time huge, almost isolated areas.

Willow

The border between middle and modern english that was as taught in school is that King James Bible (1605) belongs to middle english and Shakespeare (late 1500s) belongs to modern english.  This is because the King James Bible is written in retrospective language, trying to be proper and established and legitimate, whereas Shakespeare wrote edgy modern language, making up new words and being linguistically progressive.

I only know my mother tongue well enough, so I can't really comment on a favourite language.
I am tempted to learn Welsh though.  It's just over the border (38 miles).

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Sweetdeath on August 02, 2011, 06:13:34 AM
Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on August 01, 2011, 10:26:26 PM

I love listening to Russian music, but reading/writing it is tough! :<

haha, when I was doing my courses, I listened to a lot of Tatu  :P
I'm really rusty at reading/writing now, but I used to get so excited when I could decipher things in Russian. I remember watching "Red October" with my husband and being totally obnoxious about it, haha. 
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.