News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Name your Favourite Language

Started by Yagi-Atama, July 29, 2011, 04:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yagi-Atama

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ragnar

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this. - Terry Pratchett.

roy1967

The school is the last expenditure upon which America should be willing to economize.

Franklin D. Roosevelt

MariaEvri

God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Medusa

Arabic. Followed closely by cat  :P
She has the blood of reptile....just underneath her skin...

OldGit

Deutsch und Englisch.  Französisch ist eine furchtbare Sprache, nur für Reptilien geeignet.  Griechisch finde ich schön aber ganz schwer.  Ich müßte eigentlich Walisisch lernen, da ich so nah wohne, aber es ist wahnsinnig schwer.

Gawen

The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

OldGit

I should have added: German and English are my favourite modern languages.  IMO the most beautiful language I can comprehend is Old English (Anglo-Saxon), as used before around 1100.  In the hands of a master like Bishop Ælfric, there has never been anything to touch it.  I also love to read good Latin.

OldGit's law: the older the literature, the better the craftsmanship.  There is a good reason for that:  writers like Ælfric would have to mix their own ink and alterations were very difficult on extremely expensive calfskin or hand-made paper. Even the mechanics of writing were not simple.  Therefore when you were composing a sentence you thought long and hard before very carefully writing it down.  Nowadays we can write faster than we think and correct arbitrarily often.  The result - often slapdash expression.

hismikeness

German sounds really neat when spoken fluently, and really awful when garbled.
I like Russian too.
Pig-Latin is ossbay.
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

Ragnar

Quote from: OldGit on July 30, 2011, 01:17:16 PM
I should have added: German and English are my favourite modern languages.  IMO the most beautiful language I can comprehend is Old English (Anglo-Saxon), as used before around 1100.  In the hands of a master like Bishop Ælfric, there has never been anything to touch it.  I also love to read good Latin.

OldGit's law: the older the literature, the better the craftsmanship.  There is a good reason for that:  writers like Ælfric would have to mix their own ink and alterations were very difficult on extremely expensive calfskin or hand-made paper. Even the mechanics of writing were not simple.  Therefore when you were composing a sentence you thought long and hard before very carefully writing it down.  Nowadays we can write faster than we think and correct arbitrarily often.  The result - often slapdash expression.

I'm going to see the Staffordshire Hoard on August Bank Holiday. Old English is an absolutely fantastic language, especially the Mercian dialect, which JRR Tolkien used as the language of Rohan (Rohirric). 

The vast majority of Old English people hear today is Winchester Standard West Saxon, which is about as representative to Old English as BBC English represents post modern English.

There is a vowel shift which makes the difference between Saxon English and Angle English.

The West Saxons pronounced their vowels as we all recognise them today.  But the Angles didn't, this still exists in atleat one word today, the word "wash" most of us pronounce that "a" as an "o", except in the Black Country where we pronounce it with an "a" yet we pronounce "hammer" with an "o" and a silent "h" "ommer"

"Pass me me ommer".

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this. - Terry Pratchett.

Sweetdeath

German, Japanese, {real} English from England, and Swedish<3 <3

But mm, German..
*purr* :)
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

LegendarySandwich

The only languages I know are Spanish and English, and Spanish takes longer to same the English equivalent (plus I barely know Spanish; I've only taken a first year course so far), so I'm going to have to go with my native language.

OldGit

Quote from: RagnarThe vast majority of Old English people hear today is Winchester Standard West Saxon, which is about as representative to Old English as BBC English represents post modern English.
Absolutely.  I live in Mercian, Anglian territory.  But there are very few connected texts of literary interest which are not in the W.S. standard.

QuoteThe West Saxons pronounced their vowels as we all recognise them today.

Oh no!  Have you ever heard of the great vowel shift in Middle English?

QuoteThere is a vowel shift which makes the difference between Saxon English and Angle English.

No, just a dialectal difference, which is not the same thing.  Are you confusing this with the great vowel shift in M. E.?

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.