News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

World Population to Surpass 7 Billion in 2011

Started by Tank, July 29, 2011, 08:35:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roy1967

Agree with ThinkAnarchy here.  Throw in politicians who let their religion influcence their policy, like George W. eliminating funding for condoms to be distributed to Africa because if they get condoms, they might have more sex, and you've got a recipe for disaster.
The school is the last expenditure upon which America should be willing to economize.

Franklin D. Roosevelt

Sweetdeath

Quote from: roy1967 on August 01, 2011, 06:22:45 PM
Agree with ThinkAnarchy here.  Throw in politicians who let their religion influcence their policy, like George W. eliminating funding for condoms to be distributed to Africa because if they get condoms, they might have more sex, and you've got a recipe for disaster.
Still on topic, there is suppose to be a law that goes into effect soonish that allows all forms of birth control, including condoms to be free with medicare.   Of course conservatives on FOX NEWS are already wetting themselves over this, saying it's "unethical." *eye roll*  ::)
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

ThinkAnarchy

Quote from: Sweetdeath on August 02, 2011, 06:06:15 AM

Quote from: roy1967 on August 01, 2011, 06:22:45 PM
Still on topic, there is suppose to be a law that goes into effect soonish that allows all forms of birth control, including condoms to be free with medicare.   Of course conservatives on FOX NEWS are already wetting themselves over this, saying it's "unethical." *eye roll*  ::)

Well, I'm not a conservative but disagree with it for obvious reasons.  :)
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Sweetdeath

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

ThinkAnarchy

Quote from: Sweetdeath on August 02, 2011, 07:17:40 AM
What reasons are those?   :)

I disagree with medicare, so by extension, I disagree with the condoms being free. Also, what does, "all forms of birth control" mean? I thought they all were all legal with the exception of the ones that have been taken off the market for health reasons.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Hidelight

I give free condoms by the cartful and I know for a fact very few are used for more than balloons...

I have never felt they were a valid form of birth control ..but they do help with disease transmission...

Why can we as a country supply free birth control for anyone who requests it? Good grief it is like free immunizations (something my state lost to the economy)

Pay a small cost now and later it will pay off in less healthcare costs...less unwanted kids...

I will never get the objection to free prevention?

Sweetdeath

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on August 02, 2011, 07:21:01 AM

I disagree with medicare, so by extension, I disagree with the condoms being free. Also, what does, "all forms of birth control" mean? I thought they all were all legal with the exception of the ones that have been taken off the market for health reasons.
Ah, ok! I see. Well, birth control such as the pill or injection form are legal,but they aren't free. They are like buying perspriction medication monthly, so it does become very costly.

And quite honestly I don't trust free condoms.  That seems kinda shady to me. xD

roy1967

QuoteAnd quite honestly I don't trust free condoms.  That seems kinda shady to me. xD

I can understand that, but in places like Africa, any condom, even free is better than what they are using......which is nothing.
The school is the last expenditure upon which America should be willing to economize.

Franklin D. Roosevelt

ThinkAnarchy

Quote from: Sweetdeath on August 02, 2011, 04:41:18 PM

Ah, ok! I see. Well, birth control such as the pill or injection form are legal,but they aren't free. They are like buying perspriction medication monthly, so it does become very costly.

And quite honestly I don't trust free condoms.  That seems kinda shady to me. xD
I just reread your original post, and for some reason I didn't read it correctly at first.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on August 02, 2011, 06:39:15 PM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on August 02, 2011, 04:41:18 PM

I just reread your original post, and for some reason I didn't read it correctly at first.

Oh, okay :D   <3

@Roy:  this is true.  Do you have any  idea why it's such a problem educating them?

Crow

Quote from: Hidelight on August 02, 2011, 02:27:46 PM
Pay a small cost now and later it will pay off in less healthcare costs...less unwanted kids...

Exactly! Why is it that families with lower incomes have more children than those with higher incomes, its simple. Contraception over a long period of time is expensive especially if there at it like rabbits. Im not sure on the price of condoms in the States but in the UK if your buying them from a pub/bar/club your likely to pay around £2 for a pack of 2 (I have seen them for £10 for 2) and about £9 in a supermarket for a pack of 12, that adds up very quickly and is not a viable option for people that have tight budgets to live on.

I'm for birth control laws only if somebody develops a system that would work ethically but there aren't any that I know of that do. Thorough sexual education with easy access to free contraception is the only ethical solution that I can think of. The education system needs to show afterbirth, vaginal tearing, and women shitting their self whilst giving birth, be as blunt and truthful as possible don't sugarcoat the experience. They showed this form of sexual education in my secondary school and there wasn't a single underage pregnancy in the entire year (or the year above or below for that matter).
Retired member.

Sweetdeath

^^ THIS IS THE APPROACH WE NEED. We the blunt, brutal facts because these children/teenagers are fucking idiots. Sugar coating anything doesn't do crap.

I also have a quirky suggestion, which is to stop marketing/selling infant dolls and baby strollers to children, because that seems like a creepy way to brainwash the young into desiring childbirth.  It disturbs me... :/

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

bandit4god

Most developed countries will likely find themselves going the opposite direction from what you have described--namely, paying women NOT to have abortions due to a combination of low birthrate (meaning less working young citizenry) and high-cost pensions/heathcare for the old.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2005/dec/02/italy.topstories3

For my part, if any of you know of a woman considering having an abortion (or are contemplating it yourself), please IM me and I will offer mid-5 figures to adopt the child.  This would benefit the woman, the child, and my own family.  Thank you.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: bandit4god on November 11, 2011, 12:05:11 AM
Most developed countries will likely find themselves going the opposite direction from what you have described--namely, paying women NOT to have abortions due to a combination of low birthrate (meaning less working young citizenry) and high-cost pensions/heathcare for the old.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2005/dec/02/italy.topstories3

For my part, if any of you know of a woman considering having an abortion (or are contemplating it yourself), please IM me and I will offer mid-5 figures to adopt the child.  This would benefit the woman, the child, and my own family.  Thank you.

There is a current thread here about abortion. I've added my two cents about abortion vs. adoption, as someone who's had a baby.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.