News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Your interaction with religion (present day)

Started by Medusa, July 29, 2011, 03:05:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medusa

Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 30, 2011, 04:09:34 PM

Quote from: Medusa on July 30, 2011, 11:04:44 AM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 30, 2011, 06:51:26 AM
You know, I hate what religion does to people so much, so I just avoid it like the plague. Luckily none of my friends are very religious.  In general, it's a hot topic button, so I don't even go there.  :(
I know your true distaste for religion. I somehow wonder if learning a bit more about it might not make it such a hot topic button. Usually that's because we end up feeling like no one really can hear or understand our side.

I understand it enough, which is why I am atheist.

When you say "no one can hear and understand our side" --  what do you mean exactly?
I mean it can be quite frustrating to try to talk to someone who is talking AT you and not with you. Some religious zealots...well hey some zealots (soccer fans, football fans, Bieber mania fans) want to simply talk AT you to hear their own voice. They aren't interested in your voice at all. This shut me down to a lot of interactions with religious people for a long time (back in my rebellious years). But I can't fully have an informed opinion of something if I have not done my due diligence first. I have been able to have quite interesting and lively and non harmful conversations and free flowing exchanges of diametrically opposing view points with friends of different religions now. My other point to this is how religious zealots have no understanding of our view of things. We are often viewed as amoral, lacking of compassion and spiritually dead inside. All things not true. But if no one is up to talking to the other side and listening no one will ever learn on both sides. Something along those lines. The mentality of 'us and them' ad nausea will make sure the status quo is always 'us and them' ad nausea.

My goal in life is not to be at war. Because when the Christian and I are dead. So what? Then we are dead. And death pawns us all.
She has the blood of reptile....just underneath her skin...

Sweetdeath

Ah, I get what you mean now!   Yes, I agree.  It's very easy to say "you are bad, etc" based on misinformation.

I think it would be a great advantage for all people, reguardless of religion, to get along, understand the  similiar things we want in life; such as security from people who murder.

I'm sure some religious people listen and take what an atheist says to heart, while others choose to ignore it and go back into their bubbles. :\
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Gawen

Quote from: Medusa
I mean it can be quite frustrating to try to talk to someone who is talking AT you and not with you. Some religious zealots...well hey some zealots (soccer fans, football fans, Bieber mania fans) want to simply talk AT you to hear their own voice. They aren't interested in your voice at all. This shut me down to a lot of interactions with religious people for a long time (back in my rebellious years).
I don't know where you live, but where I live has seen a resurgence of fundamental Christian beliefs. My department manager, as intelligent as he is, is a fundamentalist. I've touched on the subject with him to find that he's a Southern Baptist, George W. Bush was a gift from God, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are religious wars fought by the demons of a false Islam and true and righteous American Christian soldiers, believes in the subjugation of women and the framers of the constitution were all bible believing literal fundamentalist like himself. He does not, to his credit, offer his beliefs freely, but is not afraid to give them to you when asked. I thought, therefore, it would be wise to, in future, keep my mouth shut.

But he is not interested at all with my ungodly ways and views. Of the small exchanges we've had he never once vilified my atheism, nor did he ask why I am an atheist. The exchanges all went his way.

QuoteBut I can't fully have an informed opinion of something if I have not done my due diligence first.
Same here and that is why, in another thread I can voice my opinions, such as they are, although it is clear that you do not agree with them. However, I HAVE done my "due diligence" for many years now, at least in the Christian persuasion and that is how I can come to my truthful and informed opinions. I am, however, not under any illusion that after many years of due diligence you will come to the same conclusions as I.

QuoteI have been able to have quite interesting and lively and non harmful conversations and free flowing exchanges of diametrically opposing view points with friends of different religions now.
I will assume that you speak of these conversations in 'real life'. Where I live, conversations become lively, to be sure, but most degenerate as (usually) the opposing sides tempers flair. My present day conversations are now relegated to the internet.

QuoteMy other point to this is how religious zealots have no understanding of our view of things. We are often viewed as amoral, lacking of compassion and spiritually dead inside. All things not true.
And now you may be able to understand my dislike of those that adhere to this view. A Christian simply cannot think otherwise, such is the religion teaches them. You and I, however, quite understand the opposing viewpoints...and what a number of viewpoints there are; indeed so many viewpoints that they cannot agree with themselves. I've seen more local churches shatter themselves over the last ten years with opposing 'viewpoints'.

QuoteBut if no one is up to talking to the other side and listening no one will ever learn on both sides.
How difficult it is when they cannot listen to each other, let alone talk to someone with diametrically opposing views. There is one underlying viewpoint held by most Christians that unbelievers are doomed.

QuoteThe mentality of 'us and them' ad nausea will make sure the status quo is always 'us and them' ad nausea.
It will always be an "us and them", whatever the religion.

QuoteMy goal in life is not to be at war.
I fear that this attitude, one that I also uphold, will soon no longer be substantiated.

QuoteBecause when the Christian and I are dead. So what? Then we are dead. And death pawns us all.
So what? This last sentence has just cancelled out everything else in your post. It's as if everything you have done and strove for is cancelled out by your dying. Something like, "Who cares?" Sorry, but I have atheist children and friends that will long outlive me and I would like to see that the small and probably insignificant stuff I have done and said helps to make their world, without me, a better place. Either that, or to prepare them for that war you try not to be in.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Medusa

Gawen I live in Los Angeles county. Home of the coocoos.  :D

I have a different perception than yours. That's all.

Gawen

Nevermind. I was going to explore this...but never mind.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Medusa

Quote from: Gawen on August 09, 2011, 12:32:52 AM
Nevermind. I was going to explore this...but never mind.
It's all good if you want to. Listen, I'm not you. I can't imagine what your experiences are. I am in no way saying your experiences and your conclusions based on those experiences are invalid. I'm saying mine aren't yours. That's all.