News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Dinosaurs

Started by Happy with no god, July 28, 2011, 04:00:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black36

Ragnar

The problem with trying to debate Young Earth Creationists with scientific evidence is that their beliefs are borne entirely of religious conviction, and have nothing to do with science, nor even pseudo-science.

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this. - Terry Pratchett.

Tank

Quote from: Ragnar on August 18, 2011, 12:00:11 AM
The problem with trying to debate Young Earth Creationists with scientific evidence is that their beliefs are borne entirely of religious conviction, and have nothing to do with science, nor even pseudo-science.
The ultimate piece of YEC stupidity is that they are not defending the word of god but an Irish Bishop!!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Black36

What problems do you see with the YEC view?

Whitney

Quote from: Black36 on August 18, 2011, 01:45:42 AM
What problems do you see with the YEC view?

There is no proof for it and proof against it...in short, it's unscientific and just based on religious dogma.  We've covered the topic fairly extensively if you want to browse around the creationism/Intelligent Design area of the forum.

This is a good one to start with:  http://www.happyatheistforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=4390.0  The formatting got a bit messed up when the forum moved but I think it is still easy enough to read even with the few strange characters scattered through it.

Black36

Quote from: Whitney on August 18, 2011, 02:44:31 AM

There is no proof for it and proof against it...in short, it's unscientific and just based on religious dogma.
So? You may be right, but these points have NOTHING to do with whether it's true or not. What problems do you have with it, personally?

Ihateyoumike

Quote from: Black36 on August 18, 2011, 02:52:37 AM

There is no proof for it and proof against it...in short, it's unscientific and just based on religious dogma.
So? You may be right, but these points have NOTHING to do with whether it's true or not. What problems do you have with it, personally?

Can't speak for Whitney, but my problem with it is the indoctrination of children into it. They teach that shit as fact. FACT. Not stories. Not maybe. Not coulda. Flat fact.

If you can't understand what's wrong with that, I can't help you to.
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

Black36

Quote from: Ihateyoumike on August 18, 2011, 04:44:39 AM

Can't speak for Whitney, but my problem with it is the indoctrination of children into it. They teach that shit as fact. FACT. Not stories. Not maybe. Not coulda. Flat fact.

If you can't understand what's wrong with that, I can't help you to.
Shouldn't the same apply to the teaching of evolution, OEC, oscillating universe models, big bang models, etc?

Whitney

Um...proof against it has everything to do with if it is true or not.  I wouldn't have any problems with it if it were true, I'd just have to re-evaluate my beliefs.

Calm down.

Black36

Quote from: Whitney on August 18, 2011, 01:59:33 PM

Um...proof against it has everything to do with if it is true or not.  I wouldn't have any problems with it if it were true, I'd just have to re-evaluate my beliefs.

Calm down.
What proof have you come across which is against it?

Whitney

Quote from: Black36 on August 18, 2011, 02:10:48 PM
What proof have you come across which is against it?

I already provided you with a link to read.  I can't force you to read it but won't be taking my time to re-write what has already been posted elsewhere on this forum.

Ihateyoumike

Think i'm not going to delve any further into this conversation, or any other with Black36, until I see him start adding his ideas and insight to topics instead of merely asking questions and answering questions with questions. I've seen that style of "debate" used before a few times on here and usually they end up banned.

Alarms are ringing.
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

Black36

Look guys, I am not asking anything which is inappropriate. I am interested in finding out why people believe what they believe. If any of you have questions for me, fine, I will do my best to answer, but in my own words. I will not simply post other's rhetoric, or lengthy articles and blogs from the Internet. Thats not how i would handle a conversation in person, so I will not do yhat here either. I would also think that you guys would not want me to just cut and paste either.

FYI - on another thread someone asked me for some of my backround and what I believe. I then posted answer to both. I did not think that I needed to reiterate what I offered there.

Whitney

It is inappropriate to ask why someone doesn't accept an idea, you get an answer (that it's not based on science and that there is evidence against it) then demand that they write in their own words exactly why it is not based on science when they already linked to an article which explained why.

If this were a real life situation I'd tell you that you need to educate yourself and suggest a site or two to look at online (or perhaps let them borrow a book if I happen to know them well enough to expect it back) it just like I am here.  People are wrong on the internet quite frequently and I don't waste my time writing individual responses to every single one of them.  I've looked into YEC claims but it is very seldom that YECs have done much looking into the science (except for when they twist it to fit their fantasy).

Black36

Quote from: Whitney on August 18, 2011, 05:23:28 PM
It is inappropriate to ask why someone doesn't accept an idea, you get an answer (that it's not based on science and that there is evidence against it) then demand that they write in their own words exactly why it is not based on science when they already linked to an article which explained why.

If this were a real life situation I'd tell you that you need to educate yourself and suggest a site or two to look at online (or perhaps let them borrow a book if I happen to know them well enough to expect it back) it just like I am here.  People are wrong on the internet quite frequently and I don't waste my time writing individual responses to every single one of them.  I've looked into YEC claims but it is very seldom that YECs have done much looking into the science (except for when they twist it to fit their fantasy).
I'm not the average YEC.