Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Christianity & Islam - A dialogue

Started by iSok, August 12, 2011, 01:57:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: Stevil on August 18, 2011, 08:32:36 PM
Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on August 16, 2011, 09:37:24 AM
From the Catholics perspective though, the other religions that don't baptize, which is a prerequisite for getting into heaven
What exactly constitutes a baptism?

I've had a few baths in my time, I have even swam completely under water in a pool, probably in the ocean and a river as well.
Did someone need to speak some magic words while I was doing it?
Can anyone say the spell or does it need to be a magician/holy person (or in Catholic's case a holy Man <emphasis on gender>)?

What if I was soaking at the hot pools and a priest in disguise (in speedos) was there and muttered the magic spell, would I then be baptised?
Taking the last point to the extreme one could bless all the sea water and then as everybody would, at some point, drink some of the blessed water (as evaporated fresh water) they would all be saved!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sweetdeath

I've washed my hands in holy water once.   Didn't feel cleaner.  :-\
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Stevil

Quote from: Sweetdeath on August 19, 2011, 08:36:45 PM
I've washed my hands in holy water once.   Didn't feel cleaner.  :-\
Catholosicm is rife with gimmics and symbolism.
I can't understand how a person feels compelled to live their life as a personification of a symbol.
e.g. Nuns consider themselves to be brides of Jesus and Priests consider themselves to be married to the Church.

Sweetdeath

Living a life like that seems like robbing oneself of any real enjoyment in life.

Only real idiots become a preist or nun. I really feel sorry for any person blindly dedicated to any faith or superstition.

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Tom62

Quote from: Sweetdeath on August 19, 2011, 11:52:34 PM
Living a life like that seems like robbing oneself of any real enjoyment in life.

Only real idiots become a preist or nun. I really feel sorry for any person blindly dedicated to any faith or superstition.

It is not a kind of life, that I'd choose either. But I wouldn't call (all) priests idiots. You'll get a very decent salary (here in Germany, it is approx. 6,5000$ p/month) and free housing for not doing any real work.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Whitney

Quote from: Tom62 on August 20, 2011, 06:23:31 AM

It is not a kind of life, that I'd choose either. But I wouldn't call (all) priests idiots. You'll get a very decent salary (here in Germany, it is approx. 6,5000$ p/month) and free housing for not doing any real work.

When I was religious I actually gave it some consideration....but aside from not wanting to convert to Catholicism I also didn't want to do that whole celibacy thing.  Other than that it sounded like an easy way to basically have an easy job.

Medusa

My brother is a Baptist minister who attended UCLA on a scholarship. I think he's pretty smart. I mean I don't know very many dumb people from there. And he got his degree in teaching as well.  :)
She has the blood of reptile....just underneath her skin...

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Tom62 on August 20, 2011, 06:23:31 AM

They get paid for doing nothing and free housing?  Why free housing exactly?

Tom62

Quote from: Sweetdeath on August 20, 2011, 10:35:48 AM
In Germany people pay church taxes. The priests get an official salary and receive many benefits (thanks to some centuries old local obscure laws).  The houses that they live in are owned by the church and the priest can live in it for free.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Stevil

Quote from: Sweetdeath on August 20, 2011, 10:35:48 AM
They live communally, in a vary bare basics environment.
I'm surprised that they get paid, I thought their vow was one of poverty, obedience and chastity.

I really struggle with the idea of chastity, it is not about the denial of sex, but really about the denial of ever having a close loving relationship with another person. In essence, not being able to know what love really is. This gets replaced with an imaginary love of an imaginary god.

Stevil

Here is an article I came across, thought it was an interesting read From Nun to Mum