News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Re: Who do you really hate?

Started by McQ, July 26, 2011, 05:23:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Awolf26

Quote from: Tank on August 04, 2011, 08:02:11 AM
Maybe we should add Theophobe to the list. A theophobe is a person who hates people just because they are theists.

I feel like I, unjustly, get labeled this because I am not afraid to challenge people's beliefs. I have a few religious (non)friends that assume that I hate them because they are religious. In fact, I rather enjoy their company. It takes a lot more than being religious for me to dislike someone. However, that is how I get labeled. For example, I have this really religious friend that is afraid to talk to me or hang out with me because he thinks I hate him. I LIKE HIM! The only time I've ever discussed religion is when he was bringing it up and most of the time we agreed on what we are talking about! I have never "attacked" anyone. Ugh. I'm sure this thread or post will be removed to the "Life as an Atheist" topic, but I can't post there yet, so I needed to bring it up here.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Awolf26 on August 04, 2011, 04:43:55 PM
Quote from: Tank on August 04, 2011, 08:02:11 AM
Maybe we should add Theophobe to the list. A theophobe is a person who hates people just because they are theists.

I feel like I, unjustly, get labeled this because I am not afraid to challenge people's beliefs. I have a few religious (non)friends that assume that I hate them because they are religious. In fact, I rather enjoy their company. It takes a lot more than being religious for me to dislike someone. However, that is how I get labeled. For example, I have this really religious friend that is afraid to talk to me or hang out with me because he thinks I hate him. I LIKE HIM! The only time I've ever discussed religion is when he was bringing it up and most of the time we agreed on what we are talking about! I have never "attacked" anyone. Ugh. I'm sure this thread or post will be removed to the "Life as an Atheist" topic, but I can't post there yet, so I needed to bring it up here.

I'm betting on the high chance that this happens to me as well, but the people I dislike, I don't like for reasons that have nothing to do with them being theists. I think some just like to add to their persecution complex. ::)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Munchkin Goddess

Those who to choose to remain willfully ignorant, but then try to control the lives of others with what they call "logic".

Buddhasansocie

Whenever I see people like this I think, "Do people like this really exist today or is this some kind of joke."
Quote from: Gawen on July 26, 2011, 01:11:18 AM
Well.....Fred Phelps and his wolves were the first I thought of.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Sweetdeath on August 04, 2011, 03:15:09 AM
Quote from: Crow on August 04, 2011, 02:58:06 AM
• Racists
• Homophobes
• Child molesters and abusers
• Larger louts
• Sex traffickers
• Slavers
• Sexists and Feminists

Are you sure this isn't a list of reasons to not believe in God?

These scum are a main reason I am atheist. I've read too many horror stories about innocent people's lives ruined.....   It is very painful...

Not to cause drama-rama, but both my husband and I would consider ourselves feminists and I don't recall ruining any lives recently. What would be your definition of "Feminism"?
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Tank

All large groups have a variety of views and agenda's. There are definitely a few sexists in the feminist movement. But to call all feminists sexist is going way, way too far IMO. Although I would much rather there was no need for a feminist movement at all and we just called ourselves humanists.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on August 07, 2011, 06:58:14 PM
• Racists
• Homophobes
• Larger louts
• Sex traffickers
• Slavers
• Sexists and Feminists

These scum are a main reason I am atheist. I've read too many horror stories about innocent people's lives ruined.....   It is very painful...

Not to cause drama-rama, but both my husband and I would consider ourselves feminists and I don't recall ruining any lives recently. What would be your definition of "Feminism"?

Oh, I dunno if you were ditecting that towards me, but I meant to take out Feminnists when I quoted. I disagree.  Femminists are great people  fighting for equality among the genders. I consider myself a femminist as well, Juliet. <3
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Sweetdeath on August 07, 2011, 07:34:12 PM

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on August 07, 2011, 06:58:14 PM
• Racists
• Homophobes
• Larger louts
• Sex traffickers
• Slavers
• Sexists and Feminists

Oh, I dunno if you were ditecting that towards me, but I meant to take out Feminnists when I quoted. I disagree.  Femminists are great people  fighting for equality among the genders. I consider myself a femminist as well, Juliet. <3

Haha, no problem, it just kind of jumped out at me as not quite fitting with the rest of the list. I agree with Tank, though, I wish it was referred to more often as "Humanism" as opposed to "Feminism", but I guess Humanism already has other connotations. (I took a "Women's studies" course in my undergrad and I kept driving my instructor batty because I thought it should have been called "Gender studies".)

Anyhoo, I didn't mean to derail.  :D
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Sweetdeath

Gender studies does sound better.   I think allmen should take it, as it can make them more informed about how much both genders have suffered.

Don't wanna get off track too~~  *clops away*
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Xjeepguy

I really dont hate anyone. I dislike the entire cast of fox news. Even when I was a believer I disliked them. If I am honest, Fox news may have been the first thing that made me question religion. I saw the absurdity of the propaganda they were spewing long before coming to my senses.
If I were re-born 1000 times, it would be as an atheist 1000 times. -Heisenberg

Awolf26

Quote from: Sweetdeath on August 07, 2011, 09:48:30 PM
Gender studies does sound better.   I think allmen should take it, as it can make them more informed about how much both genders have suffered.

Don't wanna get off track too~~  *clops away*

Agreed. I consider myself a feminist too. I have a great anecdote about this, but I'll save it for a different thread.

Tank

Quote from: Xjeepguy on August 08, 2011, 01:04:23 AM
I really dont hate anyone. I dislike the entire cast of fox news. Even when I was a believer I disliked them. If I am honest, Fox news may have been the first thing that made me question religion. I saw the absurdity of the propaganda they were spewing long before coming to my senses.
I beggers the mind that people can stomach Faux News.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

MiiriChan

Becky Fischer.
Look up Camp Jesus and you will understand.

Ihateyoumike

Anyone who isn't exactly like me.  ;)
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

Medusa

Quote from: Ihateyoumike on August 09, 2011, 06:43:03 AM
Anyone who isn't exactly like me.  ;)
I'd hate anyone who was exactly like me. I couldn't stand my self!
She has the blood of reptile....just underneath her skin...