News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Medusa's Question Du Jour

Started by Medusa, July 18, 2011, 08:41:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beachdragon

Amicale, try http://www.aslpro.com/ it's a really good resource!  :) 

Amicale

Quote from: Beachdragon on May 15, 2012, 03:18:24 PM

Ooooh, thank you! :)

I checked the main dictionary there and came across the word 'abort', as in to stop an action in general, not specifically the medical procedure. For those who don't know ASL, you hold your hand up perpendicular to your body, scoop something imaginary out of it, and toss it away. Very similar to how a friend who was fluent in ASL told me how to say the word 'bad'; how he explained it was to basically pretend to pull something away from your lips, and then to toss it away in front of you. When I looked up the word 'bad' though, they had a different representation for it.

Are there different contexts you can use words in, or have I been doing it wrong the entire time? (Sorry to pick your brain. Maybe I should take this to PM or start a new thread...)

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Amicale on May 14, 2012, 07:34:55 AM
Question of the day: when you're not online/on the computer at all, what do you do for fun offline? (hobbies, entertainment, etc.)

I usually like to go to the movies, but I spend most of my time either online or in school.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Crow

The problem is when am I not online. Even when I am out and about I'm usually still online unless I go to the countryside where there is no coverage. But lots of things really whatever takes my fancy.
Retired member.

Beachdragon

Quote from: Amicale on May 15, 2012, 05:23:11 PM
Quote from: Beachdragon on May 15, 2012, 03:18:24 PM

Ooooh, thank you! :)

I checked the main dictionary there and came across the word 'abort', as in to stop an action in general, not specifically the medical procedure. For those who don't know ASL, you hold your hand up perpendicular to your body, scoop something imaginary out of it, and toss it away. Very similar to how a friend who was fluent in ASL told me how to say the word 'bad'; how he explained it was to basically pretend to pull something away from your lips, and then to toss it away in front of you. When I looked up the word 'bad' though, they had a different representation for it.

Are there different contexts you can use words in, or have I been doing it wrong the entire time? (Sorry to pick your brain. Maybe I should take this to PM or start a new thread...)

Amicale, I do the sign for bad the same way only I don't involve the other hand.  Just touch your hand to your chin as in the video and then move it downward, palm down.  I can see why they have the one hand landing in another because that's how you end the word good as well.  So it kind of is consistent.

Also for such things as abort and not wanting things, the signs are pretty lose.  A lot of times I will just flick out my thumb as if I'm flicking, over my shoulder, something unwanted from it and that pretty much means, "get rid of"  "Get it out of here".  :)

Please feel free to PM me any time!  :)

Firebird

Besides the usual watching of movies, tv, going out with my wife, etc, I've started brewing beer a lot. It's time-consuming but lots of fun, with a great reward at the end if you don't screw it up!
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Crow

Quote from: Firebird on May 17, 2012, 07:30:49 AM
Besides the usual watching of movies, tv, going out with my wife, etc, I've started brewing beer a lot. It's time-consuming but lots of fun, with a great reward at the end if you don't screw it up!

Nice! what kind of beer you brewing?
Retired member.

Firebird

My latest one is a fake clone of Russian River's Pliny the Elder, because it's supposedly amazing and only available on the west coast, so I've never had it. Which also means I have no idea if it'll taste anything like it  ;D  It's an "Imperial IPA", which basically means a ton of hops, and also my first attempt at dry-hopping. The recipe I ended up using is actually not quite what I came into the brew store with, because they didn't have all the hop varieties the recipe called for, since it was pretty large and insane. But they helped me craft something that might be similar. I'll probably be bottling it tomorrow. I've also made a chocolate stout, belgian ale, coffee stout, and a couple of pre-packaged recipes just to figure out what I was doing. I love it, though it does take a lot of time and I end up with a lot of beer to drink/give away
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Hector Valdez

I tend to my massive collection of bowler hats and modified rifles.

Beachdragon

Gah!  It's time for another question!  I'd better get cracking!

When and if you go to a local carnival or fair, what is the first treat you buy for yourself?

As for myself, I usually aim for funnel cakes and or corn dogs.

Asmodean

The most poisonous-looking hot dog I can find, which I then eat while wondering why I'm at the fair in the first place.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Ali

Siz

Quote from: Beachdragon on June 08, 2012, 08:07:38 PM

When and if you go to a local carnival or fair, what is the first treat you buy for yourself?
An icecream on the way out.

Don't know what they're like in Foreignland, but English funfairs are the pits. The food really isn't... food. It's really not a nice experience at all.

We do have a nice 'winter wonderland' fair in Hyde Park (London) every Xmas which is good fun and the food is passable because it's from Europe. I enjoy a nice flame-grilled bratwurst und bier. And they do a quality hot chocolate for a small mortgage.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Siz

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Ali