News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Talking About Faith Increases Hospital Patients' Overall Satisfaction.

Started by Tank, July 14, 2011, 10:41:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Talking About Faith Increases Hospital Patients' Overall Satisfaction, Study Finds

QuoteScienceDaily (July 13, 2011) — Hospitalized patients who had conversations about religion and spirituality with the healthcare team were the most satisfied with their overall care. However, 20 percent of patients who would have valued these discussions say their desires went unmet, according to a new study by Joshua Williams from the University of Chicago, USA, and his colleagues.

Their work appears online in the Journal of General Internal Medicine, published by Springer.

Religious and spiritual concerns are particularly prominent during times of illness, suffering and death. Some medical leaders and policy-makers in the US have urged healthcare systems and providers to give due attention to patients' spiritual concerns. However, there is disagreement about which members of the healthcare team should ask about and address these concerns. According to hospitalized patients in this study, whom they speak to makes no difference -- the important factor appears to be that they have these discussions...

So finally research confirms that a good bedside manner and time to talk to patients are important, not really a surprise there then  ::)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on July 14, 2011, 10:41:03 AM
So finally research confirms that a good bedside manner and time to talk to patients are important, not really a surprise there then  ::)

Yeah, though I guess the topics that come up the most are those that faith deals with. It's good placebo.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 14, 2011, 11:26:35 AM
Quote from: Tank on July 14, 2011, 10:41:03 AM

Yeah, though I guess the topics that come up the most are those that faith deals with. It's good placebo.
Being in hospital is boring and stressful, and eventually terminal in many cases as the majority of people die in hospitals/hospices. So it does make sense that people will feel more comfortable if they get to talk about their situation. Imagine just laying on a bed waiting to die with no human company? Not good. So I'm not so sure we are talking wholly about the placebo effect here as the research was into satisfaction with the hospital 'experience' not necessarily if people got better or not. I did toy with the idea of becoming a hospital visitor/chaplin(atheist) a while ago, but in the end felt I was doing it for the wrong reasons so changed my mind.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

OldGit

If I end up dying in a hospital and a chaplain comes and mentions religion to me, I will indeed get great satisfaction from telling the bugger where to stick it.  ;D

fester30

Of course the article doesn't mention whose satisfaction is increased by faith talks, specifically.  My satisfaction was greatly increased when the doctor told me that if I needed spiritual guidance he'd get me the chaplain, that he doesn't do that.  Instead, he sat down and showed me some artists' pictures of the anatomy in question and described in detail the surgery I was about to go through.  Then the anesthetist spoke to me about my medical history and allergies and told me about the drugs she would use and the specific effects those would have on my systems.  I was comforted by the fact that my doctors were able to convince me they knew their jobs.  A doctor praying by my bedside would actually kinda worry me, that he wasn't perhaps confident in his own abilities and was counting on someone else to make sure he didn't screw it up.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: fester30 on July 14, 2011, 02:10:09 PM
Of course the article doesn't mention whose satisfaction is increased by faith talks, specifically.  My satisfaction was greatly increased when the doctor told me that if I needed spiritual guidance he'd get me the chaplain, that he doesn't do that.  Instead, he sat down and showed me some artists' pictures of the anatomy in question and described in detail the surgery I was about to go through.  Then the anesthetist spoke to me about my medical history and allergies and told me about the drugs she would use and the specific effects those would have on my systems.  I was comforted by the fact that my doctors were able to convince me they knew their jobs.  A doctor praying by my bedside would actually kinda worry me, that he wasn't perhaps confident in his own abilities and was counting on someone else to make sure he didn't screw it up.
Being in a hospital is scary, but if a doctor came up to me and said "I have faith in God this <insert surgery here> will go well," i'd ask for a different doctor. I don't believe any idiot would work so hard just to give god the credit for their work and skills.

D:  sadly, I do not find comfort in invisible friends. (Though I do have tea parties with my little ponies when I am really bored.)
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Tank

Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 17, 2011, 12:58:34 PM

Quote from: fester30 on July 14, 2011, 02:10:09 PM
Being in a hospital is scary, but if a doctor came up to me and said "I have faith in God this <insert surgery here> will go well," i'd ask for a different doctor. I don't believe any idiot would work so hard just to give god the credit for their work and skills.

D:  sadly, I do not find comfort in invisible friends. (Though I do have tea parties with my little ponies when I am really bored.)
You have GOT to video one of those and put it on YouTube, it'll go viral in minutes!! :D