News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Hello

Started by CHI83, July 10, 2011, 10:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CHI83

Hey I am CHI83. Well Its a pyseudom I will go by for now. I am an atheist but my family is Muslim. I used to be a Muslim to until very recently when I began doubting my religion and eventually abandoned it. But they don't know about this though so I still have to pretend to pray and fast and stuff. If I told them they would be devastated. I came to this forum to feel like I'm surrounded by people that are like me. I live in Canada but was born in Bangladesh. Well that my short intro.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

The Magic Pudding

O Canada, if only you played cricket we could have been friends, or bitter rivals.
No we'd probably hate each other, it's no doubt better this way.

Hello.

Shy

Hi and welcome.

I'm so glad that I do not or never did have to go through the motions, but hopefully this site will give you an outlet.

Tank

Hello CHI83

Good to see you have found your way out from under the influence of institutionalised superstitions (aka religion)

Welcome to HAF

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

ThinkAnarchy

Welcome, I'm very curious about atheists from a Muslim background. Most I know are from a Christian religion. I'm very interested in your perspective and hope you are able to come out to your family one day.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

CHI83

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on July 11, 2011, 10:41:52 AM
Welcome, I'm very curious about atheists from a Muslim background. Most I know are from a Christian religion. I'm very interested in your perspective and hope you are able to come out to your family one day.

Yea I know. There aren't much ex-muslim atheists. I bet the fear of persecution keeps them in the closet and in the motions as it does for me.

CHI83

Quote from: Shy on July 11, 2011, 04:39:39 AM
Hi and welcome.

I'm so glad that I do not or never did have to go through the motions, but hopefully this site will give you an outlet.

Going through the motions suck. My parents make me go to this dumb Islamic education class thing. All we do is sit there and read an outdated 1400 year old book of lies. I also have to pray too, its worse than reading the Quran. You are sooo lucky.

absurdsolidarity

Welcome!

As easy as it is to resent your parents, they were in the same situation you once were.  Be grateful you were able to question and come to the conclusions you have, even if it is such a difficult thing to do.

It's wonderful you joined this board and posted, and maybe so many other people would be able to if they weren't afraid.  It just goes to show how fear is a strong enough force to perpetuate religion in so many.
"The Bible's blind, the Torah's deaf, the Qur'an is mute.  If you burned them all together you'd be close to the truth." - Bright Eyes

Sweetdeath

Welcome!

Ex-muslim?  That's pretty scary. Muslims are like what catholics were centuries ago. Curious;  do you think you'd tell your parents about your athiestism after you become independent and move out?

Either way, welcome to the board :D
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

CHI83

Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 13, 2011, 12:46:27 AM
Welcome!

Ex-muslim?  That's pretty scary. Muslims are like what catholics were centuries ago. Curious;  do you think you'd tell your parents about your athiestism after you become independent and move out?

Yes I would. IF they ever even let me go. My mom is pretty keen on not letting me go. My personal plan for the future is to go to McGill University (which is in Montreal) and live in Montreal. The thing is Bangladeshi parents don't let you become independent at 18. To them I will always be their property, unable to make my own decisions or think for myself. I'm 14 right now but even when I turn 20, they'll never see me as an adult.

Tank

Quote from: CHI83 on July 13, 2011, 06:23:51 PM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 13, 2011, 12:46:27 AM
Welcome!

Yes I would. IF they ever even let me go. My mom is pretty keen on not letting me go. My personal plan for the future is to go to McGill University (which is in Montreal) and live in Montreal. The thing is Bangladeshi parents don't let you become independent at 18. To them I will always be their property, unable to make my own decisions or think for myself. I'm 14 right now but even when I turn 20, they'll never see me as an adult.
Mothers never, ever give up thinking their kids are kids! It's not unique to Bangladeshi parents, although it may be a particularly strong trait there!
My eldest daughter has just turned 27 and had her first child late last year, my wife thinks that she (the daughter) is totally incapable of looking after her grandson :D

It is interesting to note that we do see quite a few young ex-theists. It's rather gratifying to see the younger generation shedding religion.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.