News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

What no one told you about becoming an Atheist...

Started by Will, September 24, 2007, 06:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BleedingOrchid

I'm glad I no longer have to listen to the BORING drivel of the bible. I swear, maybe it's beautiful to read in its original text when it was written, but dear god that stuff is dull.  My father used to read some of it to us before bed at night & it would put me to sleep.

I don't miss church for the same reason. Just a group of HYPOCRITES gathering together to gang up against each other & gossip. It was sick.
Here we are
Upon your stage
The love we share
The dreams we'll save
They're bleeding the orchid...~Smashing Pumpkins

antares

Quote from: "Steve Reason"Not living forever-- I'll call that one a wash.

I'm hoping that about my 140th birthday, I'll be able to download my mind into an eternally young android. so maybe I could live forever!
Every man, wherever he goes, is encompassed by a cloud of comforting convictions, which move with him like flies on a summer day.
 - Bertrand Russell

antares

I don't miss wasting Sunday moernings in church every week.

I don't miss worrying about being ready for the second coming. I mean really, that's the kind of thing that should come with a little advance notice.

I dont miss confession. I hated telling the priest all my sins. What if I forgot one? Would I still be damned?

I still enjoy some movies with a theist bend to them. Defending Your Life is one of my all time favorites, and damned funny.
Every man, wherever he goes, is encompassed by a cloud of comforting convictions, which move with him like flies on a summer day.
 - Bertrand Russell

fodder

It was depressing to find out what liars the supposedly moral religious are when engaging them in debate.

tacoma_kyle

You know---I remember very vaguely seeing parts of the exorcist when I was like 8. Very little. So A few months back, I am chatting with friends they say its a pretty damn good movie. I was like cool, I remember a little. I go buy it...it blew ass. Maybe its because I lot interest in religious BS a long time back like you mentioned... But that is the only movie so far I have bought that has been a complete waste of money...
Me, my projects and random pictures, haha.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/tacoma_kyle/

"Tom you gotta come out of the closet, oh my gawd!" lol

sthginkralpmeTheT

AS I WALK THROUGH THE VALLEY OF THE SHADOW OF DEATH I WILL NOT REPLY TO HEATHENS WHO DISRESPECT OUR LORD AND MASTER!

Mister Joy

Mate, if God is real then he really doesn't like you. I don't blame him. Nobody wants a fat-headed idiot representing their case.

timothy40744

Besides, his "accept Christ and get a free Playstation 2" link doesn't even work. It's a lie! All liars will be cast into the lake of fire...

a_jaynepayne

This might have been said already but coming from the religious background I have come from no one ever told me that when you realize you're an athiest YOU HAVE A GREATER APPRECIATION FOR LIFE!!!  I was always sorta told you would just wallow in misery if you didn't believe in god.  But for real once you don't have that safe-proof lifestyle you TAKE EACH AND EVERY MOMENT FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH...way more than before.
I LOVE GEORGE CARLIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  "It's all b.s. and it's bad for ya!

freeverse

I can't believe no one has said this yet: SEX! It's so great to be able to have healthy, guilt-free, sexual relationships even though I'm (gasp!) not married.

I also totally agree that sunday mornings are wonderful, and that loosing the guilt (over sex and everything else) is incredibly liberating.

Bye bye cognitive dissonance! It's wonderful to not have to justify ridiculous beliefs to myself every 25 seconds.

Along with having beautiful, free sunday mornings, I love not having to listen to some pastor go over the same damn sermon for the 500th time,  using the same damn bible verses. I absolutely cannot understand how people stay in the same church for 30, 40 years when pastors recycle the same sermon, with slight variations, every year!!!

God talk - if no one asks me how my "walk with christ" is again, it will still be too soon.

Personal Testimony - yay for not having to listen to some teenager tell, in excruciating detail, how the lord guided them from a life of horrific sin (you know, compromising their "purity" by letting their boyfriend of five years touch her breast, or being in the same room with someone smoking pot) to the light of jeebus.

silentaustin

The best thing I've found about becoming an atheist (other than the obvious stuff), I get to watch televangelists and read those miracle anecdotes as comedy.

Seosamh

Quote from: "silentaustin"The best thing I've found about becoming an atheist (other than the obvious stuff), I get to watch televangelists and read those miracle anecdotes as comedy.

That's funny, they always make me want to cry.
I will not attack your doctrines nor your creeds if they accord liberty to me. If they hold thought to be dangerous - if they aver that doubt is a crime, then I attack them one and all, because they enslave the minds of men.

-Robert Ingersoll

my photography gallery: http://ash-nazg4321.deviantart.com/

Lindsey_Mcfarren

I feel the same way as many of you.  I grew up in a very patriarchal religion and I feel so much better about life and living now that I don't have that constant whispering in my ear.

I don't miss going to church at all, or being told that I should do this or that.  I am still friends with SOME people of that religion but they don't push their ideas on me and respect my choice.  Truth be told, I sprang from the womb NOT believing, I remember being incredulous at the things this religion taught.  I was often in trouble for things I said in religion class because I always attended a private school.  I thought these people totally out of their minds.

Maybe this is simplistic but I want to do what I deem is appropriate.  I am tired of being judged and controlled.  I am a moral person, I can control my own life.  I don't need a group of people, the church to tell me, to manipulate me and frankly use me.
Better to reign in HELL then serve in Heaven. - Milton

Msblue

I find the Exorcist so funny now. I agree with a lot of the things already posted. I still have bad habit like saying Jesus Christ and Oh my God but, I'm not using anyone's name in vain!

No more fake praying in Church, thankfully I stopped going when I was around 12.

nummymuffin

Being able to just be me and not being told I am evil or a sinner!