News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

About time this happened!

Started by Tank, June 20, 2011, 10:43:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Compulsory car insurance law change comes into force

QuoteDrivers must now insure their cars even if they're not using them, according to new laws which come into force today (20 June).

Owners will face a £100 fine and could potentially have their car seized and destroyed, unless the vehicle is certified as off the road.

Those identified as having an uninsured car will first be sent a letter warning them of the consequences if they don't take action...

All vehicles in the UK have a log book and are registered at the DVLC. They are registered as as active or stored (off road). If they are stored they are no allowed on the road. The DVLC is now linked to the car insurance industry central database. So if a car is registered as active it should be on the insurance database.

In Bradford it is estimated that 30% of the active cars are uninsured. Hopefully this new system will improve insurance coverage and that will bring down premiums as a huge percentage of the insurance companies costs are paying out on uninsured drivers.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

That's good.

I think that's how it works here, as you won't even get the license plates for your car unless it has proof of insurance. You don't need much - liability only is good enough - but you do need it.

Any vehicle that drives uninsured risks having its license plates clipped during the very first routine control it's unfortunate enough to be pulled over for, and its driver risks getting fined til it hurts...
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

ThinkAnarchy

Why do you need to insure a car that isn't being driven? It's not like it's going to crash into another car...
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Stevil

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on July 11, 2011, 07:06:53 AM
Why do you need to insure a car that isn't being driven? It's not like it's going to crash into another car...
In Auckland NZ we call these people Westies, instead of garden gnomes they scatter rusty cars around their overgrown lawn.

Tank

There is no need to ensure a vehicle that isn't being driven the public roads. If you have the vehicle off the road on private land and it won't be driven on the public roads that's fine. If you are going to use the vehicle on the public highway it must be ensured.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

ThinkAnarchy

Quote from: Tank on July 11, 2011, 08:13:49 AM
There is no need to ensure a vehicle that isn't being driven the public roads. If you have the vehicle off the road on private land and it won't be driven on the public roads that's fine. If you are going to use the vehicle on the public highway it must be ensured.

I did not click on the link, I simply read what you quoted, "Drivers must now insure their cars even if they're not using them, according to new laws which come into force today (20 June).

Owners will face a £100 fine and could potentially have their car seized and destroyed, unless the vehicle is certified as off the road."

Doesn't that mean they have to insure cars even if they simply have them for scrap metal or sentimental value, but never drive them?
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Tank

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on July 11, 2011, 08:19:03 AM

I did not click on the link, I simply read what you quoted, "Drivers must now insure their cars even if they're not using them, according to new laws which come into force today (20 June).

Owners will face a £100 fine and could potentially have their car seized and destroyed, unless the vehicle is certified as off the road."

Doesn't that mean they have to insure cars even if they simply have them for scrap metal or sentimental value, but never drive them?
No.

EDIT. I'll qualify that, you need to have sent the vehicle log book to the DVLA to say the vehicle is to be scrapped or being held off road. If a vehicle is not declared in this way then it must be insured for use on the public highway.

ThinkAnarchy

Quote from: Tank on July 11, 2011, 08:27:52 AM
Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on July 11, 2011, 08:19:03 AM

QuoteNo.

"Drivers must now insure their cars even if they're not using them" and " ...certified as off the road" seems to suggest otherwise. Right now I don't care to read the article, but based upon what you quoted, I think my assumptions are logical.

Well, for some reason it showing it all as a quote, so I will try and bold what is new to make it easier to see.

Tank

ThinkAnarchy

Ok, thanks, that clarifies it. Sorry for the confusion.

Tank

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on July 11, 2011, 08:54:50 AM
Ok, thanks, that clarifies it. Sorry for the confusion.
No probs'  ;D

Abletony

Sounds like big brother to me.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Stevil on July 11, 2011, 07:53:27 AM
In Auckland NZ we call these people Westies, instead of garden gnomes they scatter rusty cars around their overgrown lawn.

Gross.  Why do they do that?
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Tank

Quote from: Abletony on July 25, 2011, 01:22:35 PM
Sounds like big brother to me.
Do you drive and have to ensure a car? If you do then 20% of your premium is there to pay for the people who don't bother to pay their insurance.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 25, 2011, 05:26:05 PM

Quote from: Stevil on July 11, 2011, 07:53:27 AM

Gross.  Why do they do that?

It's the equivalent of this I think.
http://www.fortogden.com/foredneck.html