News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Photography, photos you took, photos you are in, photos you like, the lot!

Started by Tank, June 07, 2011, 07:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Or do I remember you have a Nikon?

If I am right "Program" is the "P" on the dial,

QuoteIn mode P, the camera automatically adjusts shutter speed and aperture for optimal exposure. You can, however, choose other aperture and shutter speed combinations that will produce the same exposure: this is called "flexible program". Choose programmed auto for snapshots and in other situations in which you don't want to miss a shot.
http://imaging.nikon.com/support/digitutor/d5300/functions/shootingmodes_p.html

Goes for all the "D" range I think.

I will admit to sticking to the "Intelligent" setting for general use, unless there is some specific aspect of a picture to go for, higher shutter speed for fast images etc. Birds can be a pain, static one moment and flying fast the next, often needing moving the camera - mitigates for a fast shutter and multi-shot (which I still forget to select!) (That's a hangover from wet film days when I had a wind-up motorised camera that did 2 frames/sec, went through lots of expensive film!)(But that was in Cyprus during the second "troubles" and I sold some shots to the Daily Mirror which just about paid for the film.)

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

jumbojak

I do indeed have a Nikon. I'm getting the hang of it, slowly, but keep hanging up on needing to understand what each mode does. It'd probably easier if I was a flowchart kind of person. You know, in situation X do A, B, and C. My brain isn't wired that way.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on June 28, 2018, 03:25:42 PM
I do indeed have a Nikon. I'm getting the hang of it, slowly, but keep hanging up on needing to understand what each mode does. It'd probably easier if I was a flowchart kind of person. You know, in situation X do A, B, and C. My brain isn't wired that way.

On my D600, there is an "Auto" selection next to the P. At the beginning this will give decent photos without any need to change settings.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on June 28, 2018, 05:59:24 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on June 28, 2018, 03:25:42 PM

On my D600, there is an "Auto" selection next to the P. At the beginning this will give decent photos without any need to change settings.

Yup, that's my default for general photography. Thought it was "intelligent Auto" but that "iA" is the Panasonic equivalent.

JJ, that setting on mine automatically changes from "landscape" mode to "macro" depending on the focussing distance, very useful with zoom lenses.

Tank

Went to Brodsworth Hall today.

Shot with a Fujifilm X30 in 'Velvia' mode.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Bad Penny II

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

jumbojak

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on July 01, 2018, 03:05:22 AM
What is that bug?

I think it''s a Burnet day moth of some kind. Six spot type?

(First remembered it as "Burnett's day moth" but just "Burnet")

hermes2015

Very nice. I like the strong colours I always try to get in my photos.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on July 01, 2018, 06:36:20 AM
Very nice. I like the strong colours I always try to get in my photos.

You'll remember from analogue film days that Fuji Velvia was a very saturated film. When Fuji started making digital cameras they gave them modes that mimicked their film stocks hence 'Velvia' mode :)

Tank

Quote from: Dave on July 01, 2018, 03:42:09 AM
Quote from: jumbojak on July 01, 2018, 03:05:22 AM
What is that bug?

I think it''s a Burnet day moth of some kind. Six spot type?

(First remembered it as "Burnett's day moth" but just "Burnet")
Yes that's a six spot Burnett.

Tank

Bad Penny II

Take my advice, don't listen to me.