News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Photography, photos you took, photos you are in, photos you like, the lot!

Started by Tank, June 07, 2011, 07:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on April 28, 2018, 09:49:54 PM
I took this one with my phone Wednesday night once the fire had burned down. It's better than I thought originally.

I agree with Mags, it's a good shot. I think you captured the mesmerising aspect of fire perfectly! :tellmemore:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

Quote from: jumbojak on April 29, 2018, 05:41:15 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on April 29, 2018, 05:48:14 AM
Quote from: jumbojak on April 29, 2018, 02:10:27 AM
It took a looooong time to get that one. Once the fire had burned mostly down to coals I thought I'd be good to get a shot but bits and pieces near the edges kept flaring up and drowning out the red glowing embers with yellow light. Of probably fifty photos of those coals that was the only one that wasn't drowned out by flares or so unclear as to be unrecognizable.
Well, thank you. Your picture just became my first cell phone's wallpaper. It's so beautiful! It looks so alive. I imagine that's what a ruby's mine looks like, when the light hits it.

...Or maybe it's just a witch's love of fire.  :fingertap:
I don't know, I just like it. Thank you.

You're welcome mags. I plan on experimenting with fire a lot more going forward. Watch this space...

OK. But please be careful.  :worried:

"When you have more attention on getting the photo than on anything else."

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Arturo

^Yeah I really wish that old lady didn't get washed away and reveal that little boy's speedo. Disgusting.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dave

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

jumbojak

I need some software advice. The new camera is far more capable than I am but I need something to pull photos from my sd card and, hopefully, organize them by date. I tried using a folder and the copy paste method but the camera reuses file names! After formatting the card I either have to create a new folder or lose past photos.

I'd be willing to spend a bit of money to accomplish this but nothing extravagant, at least for right now. I'm experimenting with GIMP as an editing program but would be open to more of an all in one solution.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on May 06, 2018, 10:04:28 PM
I need some software advice. The new camera is far more capable than I am but I need something to pull photos from my sd card and, hopefully, organize them by date. I tried using a folder and the copy paste method but the camera reuses file names! After formatting the card I either have to create a new folder or lose past photos.

I'd be willing to spend a bit of money to accomplish this but nothing extravagant, at least for right now. I'm experimenting with GIMP as an editing program but would be open to more of an all in one solution.

Here are some bulk file renamers. Can't find the freebie one I used to use but you could put things like location and date on up to all files plus a unique number. Housekeeping like this is always a time consuming, but essential, chore!

https://windowsreport.com/file-rename-software/

Also http://darrellyoung.blogspot.co.uk/2011/08/using-nikons-file-naming-and-file.html and others.

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on May 06, 2018, 10:04:28 PM

It is imperative to have a good workflow in place to take care of the "housekeeping" to deal with your photos. My recommendations are based on my own workflow. Do the following:

1. Download and install XnView:

https://www.xnview.com/en/

The excellent, free XnView is for browsing through and viewing your photos.

2. Design and to stick to a file organizing system from day one, before you have thousands of photos to deal with. Create a folder on your drive called Photos. Then create a sub folder called New Photos date (the date you formatted the SD card). Also create other sub folders like Julia Birthday Party 16 January 2010, or any other scheme that suits you. Copy your new photos into the New Photos folder every few days, in case the SD card in your camera dies. It is normal for the camera to reuse the same names after formatting the card. After formatting, again create a new folder called New Photos date (the date you formatted the SD card).

3. Use XnView to look at the photos in New Photos date and then move them into their appropriatey-named permanent folders. XnView will offer to rename files with the same name.

4. Now you can do simple editing of the photos (cropping. resizing, colour correction, etc.), very easily in XnView itself. For more abvanced editing, GIMP is popular. I looked at it some years ago, but hated the interface. I've heard

good reports on Paint.NET

https://www.getpaint.net/

Perhaps you can try it. I use Adobe Lightroom because I shoot exclusively in NEF (RAW) format, and NEF photos are not usable straight out of the camera. If you are using JPG at the moment, Lightroom will be overkill for you, and GIMP or Paint.NET will be OK for you to start with.

I'm sure the other HAF photographers will suggest their own favourite workflows. The above one works for me. It is very important to have an organized folder structure once, like me, you have thousands of photos.

Lastly, a VERY important piece of advice: remember that the failure rate of a hard drive is 100%, so you have to be disciplined and have a good backup system in place. I have a second physical hard drive in my PC and use the free program Cobian Backup to automatically mirror my Photos folder on the primary drive to the second hard drive at 19:00 every day. Get it at

http://www.cobiansoft.com/index.htm

Then, from time to time, I copy the Photos folder to an external 2TB USB drive, in case my PC explodes, but I'm probably too paranoid!
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Hermes, does that mirroring app replace or duplicate photos that are already saved? One problem I get is wasted space due to subsequent backups duplicating files already saved several times - wasting space on the same drive.

Regular, manual, camera dump folders with unique identifiers and then camera SD card reformating is the only cure I have found.

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on May 07, 2018, 07:35:07 AM
Hermes, does that mirroring app replace or duplicate photos that are already saved? One problem I get is wasted space due to subsequent backups duplicating files already saved several times - wasting space on the same drive.

Regular, manual, camera dump folders with unique identifiers and then camera SD card reformating is the only cure I have found.

The mirroring app simply backs up any file, whether a photo or any other type, to the location specified. It is useful because it is automatic, meaning that backups happen in the background and you don't have to remember to do them.

There are options for the type of backup: full or incremental. The first one will always be a full backup, but subsequently I set it to do incremental backups. Then only new files, or ones that have changed, are backed up. With incremental one does not have the problem of an ever expanding backup that contains duplicates. On can choose that if preferred, though. One can even set it to back up every 10 seconds for scientific work. The amazing thing is that it is free.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 07, 2018, 08:00:12 AM

The mirroring app simply backs up any file, whether a photo or any other type, to the location specified. It is useful because it is automatic, meaning that backups happen in the background and you don't have to remember to do them.

There are options for the type of backup: full or incremental. The first one will always be a full backup, but subsequently I set it to do incremental backups. Then only new files, or ones that have changed, are backed up. With incremental one does not have the problem of an ever expanding backup that contains duplicates. On can choose that if preferred, though. One can even set it to back up every 10 seconds for scientific work. The amazing thing is that it is free.

Yup, "incremental" was what I was looking for.

Thanks, Hermes.

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on May 07, 2018, 08:30:13 AM

Thanks, Hermes.

We aim to please.
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 07, 2018, 08:32:00 AM

Thanks, Hermes.

We aim to please.

Is that the royal/corporate "we" or are you suffering multiple personality disorder? :grin:

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on May 07, 2018, 08:53:05 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on May 07, 2018, 08:32:00 AM

Thanks, Hermes.

We aim to please.

Is that the royal/corporate "we" or are you suffering multiple personality disorder? :grin:

Probably the latter. I am an onion: many layers and I make people cry.
― Charles Eames