Photography, photos you took, photos you are in, photos you like, the lot!

Started by Tank, June 07, 2011, 07:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Last Sunday was a great day at the lakes at Temple Newsam

Never seen this bird before. It's a Goosander. Would you believe a carnivorous duck!

Our resident heron had dinner.

First time photo of a kingfisher. It's around 25 yards away.

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Love tge picture of the kingfisher, Tank, not sure I could have even seen thst at 25yards now! Great pics as usual.

In terms of worms, small fish and tadpoles I thought all ducks were carnivorous, or do these predate voles etc as well?
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on February 09, 2018, 08:28:02 AM
Quote from: Tank on February 09, 2018, 08:05:46 AM

That's a nice photo. Do you shoot raw (or even in the raw)?
I have tried RAW but I honestly don't see sufficient improvement to warrent the effort. Pointers would be appretiated.
As to the second point...
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

Quote from: Dave on February 09, 2018, 08:46:27 AM
Love tge picture of the kingfisher, Tank, not sure I could have even seen thst at 25yards now! Great pics as usual.

In terms of worms, small fish and tadpoles I thought all ducks were carnivorous, or do these predate voles etc as well?
Well ducks are generally omnivourous as you say. I was not aware of any specifically fish eating ducks.

Dave

Quote from: Tank on February 09, 2018, 08:50:34 AM

Well ducks are generally omnivourous as you say. I was not aware of any specifically fish eating ducks.

Ah, you mean eating meat only?

Tank

Quote from: Dave on February 09, 2018, 08:52:23 AM
Quote from: Tank on February 09, 2018, 08:50:34 AM

Ah, you mean eating meat only?
Yes. These are known as sawbills as they have serated edges to their beaks to hold the fish.

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on February 09, 2018, 08:49:05 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on February 09, 2018, 08:28:02 AM
Quote from: Tank on February 09, 2018, 08:05:46 AM

That's a nice photo. Do you shoot raw (or even in the raw)?
I have tried RAW but I honestly don't see sufficient improvement to warrent the effort. Pointers would be appretiated.
As to the second point...

I shoot exclusively in RAW (called NEF by Nikon), because you get an uncompressed full dynamic range file, which is a record of exactly what the camera sensor saw. It allows one to extract full highlight and shadow detail, as we used to do in the darkroom when printing negatives in the old days. If you shoot in JPG, all that info is lost and you cannot recover details in the shadows or highlights, because the camera firmware compresses the file into the JPG format. An advantage is that the photo is acceptable straight out of the camera. That is definitely NOT the case with RAW images. They usually look crap straight out of the camera, which is probably what put you off. They have to be processed with software to give the final look you want, which of course can take some time, but there are great rewards if you persevere. I use Adobe Lightroom, but there are some free alternatives:

https://havecamerawilltravel.com/photographer/lightroom-alternatives/

I cannot recommend any, because I've only used Lightroom for many years. Your camera may have come with some kind of very basic RAW processing software you can try.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

― Charles Eames

Tank

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on February 22, 2018, 12:33:29 PM
It apparently worked.

Yes, and the site is easy to use. I just had to log on with my Google account and could immediately start uploading that photo I took in Split.
― Charles Eames

Dave

Hmm, I am doing summat wrong, copied the link, added .jpg (as I do with imgur) and then .png, gave it [img] tags and nowt appeared - this is using an Android tablet

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on February 22, 2018, 01:54:52 PM

Hmm, I am doing summat wrong, copied the link, added .jpg (as I do with imgur) and then .png, gave it [img] tags and nowt appeared - this is using an Android tablet

That's weird. It worked for me first time I tried it. Did you use a Google account?
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on February 22, 2018, 02:01:12 PM

That's weird It worked for me first time I tried it. Did you use a Google account?

Yup!

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on February 22, 2018, 02:02:32 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on February 22, 2018, 02:01:12 PM

That's weird It worked for me first time I tried it. Did you use a Google account?

Yup!

I'm using Windows 7, but I can't believe it can make a difference.
― Charles Eames