News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Photography, photos you took, photos you are in, photos you like, the lot!

Started by Tank, June 07, 2011, 07:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Arturo

It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Icarus

Ali, you probably already know that "Pyrs" are members of the herding breed category. Their job was to take care of the flocks of sheep on behalf of the mountain shepherds of the Pyrenees region. The good ones did their jobs remarkably well and wolves or other predators were in deep trouble if they tried to harm the flocks. The dogs loyalty and dedication to the flock and to the shepherd was/is beyond question. 

Breeding by miscellaneous, not shepherds, individuals has been the undoing of the herding instinct but not entirely. If you have a good Pyre you might be amused at its propensity to herd your smaller children. Buff will almost surely become one of your beloved Children,albeit one of the four footed variety.

Buff is a pretty good choice for a name. One of the Colorado football teams are Buffaloes I think.  The Buffs play some serious football and take no shit from anyone. Be patient with Buff. Do take him to obedience classes that you can find in your area.  You have a commitment to a real live individual, a valuable individual.  Look around the web to find all the information you need to come to know that excellent breed.

Big dogs, including Pyrs, are more vulnerable to hip displasia. Have him/her examined by a vet to determine if there is a possible problem. That is one of the things that I was inferring when I mentioned Vet bills. Not to worry. You have a great new family member well worth whatever it takes to care for him.

If I were not so damned old I would think more than seriously about having a new best friend like Buff. My problem is that I do not want to risk expiration before my best friend does. My only remaining dog, a little Australian shepherd, also a herding dog, is almost 16 years old. I am most sad that he may be my last canine best friend.  My most recent constant companion was a Bernese Mountain dog named Teddy. He was a big guy, near 100 pounds, that demonstrated  that he would defend me to the death, I am certain. He knew that I would do the same for him.

Excuse me please.....I am on a nostalgia kick that is pretty emotional. If you guessed that I am a dog guy, you guessed it right.

Ali

Quote from: Icarus on July 10, 2017, 01:01:54 AM
Ali, you probably already know that "Pyrs" are members of the herding breed category. Their job was to take care of the flocks of sheep on behalf of the mountain shepherds of the Pyrenees region. The good ones did their jobs remarkably well and wolves or other predators were in deep trouble if they tried to harm the flocks. The dogs loyalty and dedication to the flock and to the shepherd was/is beyond question. 

Breeding by miscellaneous, not shepherds, individuals has been the undoing of the herding instinct but not entirely. If you have a good Pyre you might be amused at its propensity to herd your smaller children. Buff will almost surely become one of your beloved Children,albeit one of the four footed variety.

Buff is a pretty good choice for a name. One of the Colorado football teams are Buffaloes I think.  The Buffs play some serious football and take no shit from anyone. Be patient with Buff. Do take him to obedience classes that you can find in your area.  You have a commitment to a real live individual, a valuable individual.  Look around the web to find all the information you need to come to know that excellent breed.

Big dogs, including Pyrs, are more vulnerable to hip displasia. Have him/her examined by a vet to determine if there is a possible problem. That is one of the things that I was inferring when I mentioned Vet bills. Not to worry. You have a great new family member well worth whatever it takes to care for him.

If I were not so damned old I would think more than seriously about having a new best friend like Buff. My problem is that I do not want to risk expiration before my best friend does. My only remaining dog, a little Australian shepherd, also a herding dog, is almost 16 years old. I am most sad that he may be my last canine best friend.  My most recent constant companion was a Bernese Mountain dog named Teddy. He was a big guy, near 100 pounds, that demonstrated  that he would defend me to the death, I am certain. He knew that I would do the same for him.

Excuse me please.....I am on a nostalgia kick that is pretty emotional. If you guessed that I am a dog guy, you guessed it right.
Icarus, this post made me smile. It's obvious that you adore big dogs. I'm there with you. My family had Great Danes when I was growing up. A very different kind of dog, but huge and loving all the same. It's funny that you mention the Colorado Buffaloes. I am an alumni of UCD (University of Colorado at Denver) which is the Denver campus of CU, so I'm also a Buff, although surprisingly I hadn't thought of that. I promise to take good care of him for you. ❤️
ETA: As to the herding instinct, I forgot to tell you that Buff comes from true working dog stock. His parents were both working farm dogs, and when Mr Ali went to pick him out, he observed Buff and his brother and sister spontaneously attempting to chase a lamb that had gotten out of its pen out of the vegetable garden. It wouldn't surprise me if he's got some herding in him. ;)

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

Ali

Icarus: for you. Buff's paws are already the size on my palm at 3 months. I'm slightly bigger than avaerage for a women (5'7) so it's not like I have tiny little hands...
https://imgur.com/a/y7gZn

Icarus

Those big paws are going to be great tools if Buff decides that he is in the digging business.  Big tools and big muscle power make his efficiency a sure thing. 

He has his muzzle on your hand too. I think that he likes you.  :clapping:

Ali

Oh, don't worry, Buff loves me. Then again, thus far, he loves everyone. I'm just kind of a special favorite. I'm planning on making him a digging box because he's already super into digging...

Icarus

^ I'm getting the impression that buff has captured your heart too. 

I am on board with this deal......My daughter, Julie, brought me a tee shirt for my recent birthday. The tee shirt was imprinted: "A good book and my dog. Life is good"

Biggus Dickus

Nice picture isn't it, but I bet you took a glance or two at what was in her glass didn't you, you dirty minded Atheists!
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Biggus Dickus

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Biggus Dickus