News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Photography, photos you took, photos you are in, photos you like, the lot!

Started by Tank, June 07, 2011, 07:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amicale

Quote from: OldGit on April 25, 2012, 03:42:37 PM
That's the point, Asmocale - the precise boundaries of an English churchyard are usually the oldest part of the whole thing, not having changed since the sub-Roman foundation of the original church and often longer than that.  In this case the wall is modern, but you can bet the line is ancient.

Of course I'm not claiming that you won't find a really ancient yew outside a churchyard, but it's relatively rare, whereas they're extremely common within one.  So it's unusual, though not unique.  If this one has been seeded from inside the enclosure, how old would that make its parent?

Good points. Not sure why it'd be outside the boundary, that's interesting.

All I know is, that's a beautiful photo, and a gorgeous tree. :)

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

OldGit

Amicale

Quote from: OldGit on April 25, 2012, 03:58:53 PM
Thank you, O lady who is no longer Asmocale!

:D I do like that Asmocale nickname. I may appropriate it for further use... but as it so happened, I was confusing even myself.

Not that it takes much.  ;D

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Jimmy

Quote from: OldGit on April 25, 2012, 11:14:19 AM

A fine old yew tree at Pipe Aston, Herefordshire.  The church in the background is about 900 years old, and there will almost certainly have been an earlier one on the site.  The tree looks likely to be over 1,000.

Strange - the yew is outside the church enclosure, which is unusual.  The boundary itself is unlikely to have moved: they are generally very ancient indeed and often pre-christian.

That tree IS pretty cool.
For if there be no Prospect beyond the Grave, the inference is certainly right, Let us eat and drink, les us enjoy what we delight in, for to morrow we shall die.   ~John Locke~

harte.beest

Image removed by moderator. Not appropriate for this thread.
Sophia

OldGit

Here's another tree-rooty one.  This is an oak in a field at Olchon House Farm, Herefordshire.  It's about ½ mile our side of the Welsh border.

McQ

Quote from: OldGit on May 14, 2012, 10:50:59 AM
Here's another tree-rooty one.  This is an oak in a field at Olchon House Farm, Herefordshire.  It's about ½ mile our side of the Welsh border.

That's really cool.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

MariaEvri

oaks are awesome
I saw an 800 year old oak and it was damn huge
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Sandra Craft

I'm not sure if I've posted this before, and I'm too lazy to look, but it's one of my favorite accidental captures:

My favorite DeeDee pic, which seems appropriate to put with a bird, given her fondness for them:

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

McQ

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on May 15, 2012, 04:02:06 AM
I'm not sure if I've posted this before, and I'm too lazy to look, but it's one of my favorite accidental captures:

My favorite DeeDee pic, which seems appropriate to put with a bird, given her fondness for them:

Nice shots. The accidental capture is cool. Those little dudes are so difficult to get, so anytime I get one I'm ecstatic. Even by accident!
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Sandra Craft

Quote from: McQ on May 15, 2012, 04:22:51 AM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on May 15, 2012, 04:02:06 AM

Nice shots. The accidental capture is cool. Those little dudes are so difficult to get, so anytime I get one I'm ecstatic. Even by accident!

By accident is the only way I've ever gotten a decent picture of a bird.  I was nearly ecstatic when I saw there was a hummingbird in a picture I'd taken of some flowers.
Sandy

OldGit

Aaah! to pussy.  ;D

The hummingbird shot is lovely - I've never seen one live.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: OldGit on May 15, 2012, 09:57:34 AM
The hummingbird shot is lovely - I've never seen one live.

That surprises me, there aren't many hummingbirds in England?
Sandy

OldGit

Quote from: BooksCatsEtcThat surprises me, there aren't many hummingbirds in England?

AFAIK there are none at all. 

Quote from:  RSPB websiteAre hummingbirds found in the UK?
Hummingbirds have never been found in the wild anywhere in Europe. If you think you have seen a hummingbird, it will almost certainly be a hummingbird hawkmoth. This moth is so similar to the tiny American bird that there are hundreds of cases of mistaken identity every year.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: OldGit on May 16, 2012, 09:55:40 AM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtcThat surprises me, there aren't many hummingbirds in England?

AFAIK there are none at all. 

Well, now I know what makes the FSM cry -- that is so freaking sad!  Around here how often you see them depends on where you live -- where I am in So Cal I can count on seeing at least 3 a summer, but where my stepmother lives in Central Cal you'll see at least 3 a day during summer.
Sandy