News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Photography, photos you took, photos you are in, photos you like, the lot!

Started by Tank, June 07, 2011, 07:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: McQ on April 18, 2012, 08:31:18 PM
Ok, one more from the wilds of Florida. A Rosiette Spoonbill seems to float above the water on the Myakka River.

Enjoy!

Wonderful shot.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

musicality

Been thinking about my homeland a lot lately...I really wish I could afford to go back to the philippines for a visit... :'(
"Music is prophecy. Its styles are ahead of the rest of society because
it explores, much faster than material reality can, the entire range of
possibilities."

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

musicality

"Music is prophecy. Its styles are ahead of the rest of society because
it explores, much faster than material reality can, the entire range of
possibilities."

AnimatedDirt

My son and I took a trip to Zion Nat'l Park.  This is looking down at Walter's Wiggles...on the hike up to Angel's Landing.

Upon getting to Scout's Lookout, we figured we were too afraid of heights and more so of death, to push to the top of Angel's Landing.

Edit: added 2nd pic.

My buddy posing at Scout's Landing.  He went on up to Angel's Landing.  My son and I stayed.  This is a sheer drop he's standing next to...much like in the background.  He's not normally afraid of heights, but he said he was nervous standing there.

I blurred his face since I don't know if he'd want his mug up.  

Tank

McQ

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on April 18, 2012, 10:13:36 PM
My son and I took a trip to Zion Nat'l Park.  This is looking down at Walter's Wiggles...on the hike up to Angel's Landing.

Upon getting to Scout's Lookout, we figured we were too afraid of heights and more so of death, to push to the top of Angel's Landing.

Edit: added 2nd pic.

My buddy posing at Scout's Landing.  He went on up to Angel's Landing.  My son and I stayed.  This is a sheer drop he's standing next to...much like in the background.  He's not normally afraid of heights, but he said he was nervous standing there.

I blurred his face since I don't know if he'd want his mug up.  

Look out, below!!!

I haven't been to Zion yet. On my list of places to go. While out at the Grand Canyon, we were too busy there and in Sedona to ever take trips to other parks. Plus, the distances are huge out there. So it'll have to wait until I get back out there.

Nice shots!
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

MariaEvri

God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Beachdragon

Well, let's see if this works.  I took this a few years ago.  I had to lay down on the driveway to take it.

Amicale

Beachdragon, that's a beautiful flower! I love how bright it is.

Here are a few shots I took in Eastern Ontario while I was living on a school campus there.

The sky picture's a tad blurry, but it was taken out the front windshield of a moving car. (No, I wasn't driving  :D )

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Recusant

. . . And the fine images just keep coming! Thank you all for sharing them.  That Spoonbill looks otherworldly!
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

Quote from: Beachdragon on April 20, 2012, 03:00:08 PM
Well, let's see if this works.  I took this a few years ago.  I had to lay down on the driveway to take it.

That's the view my dogs get without even trying! Must be a very different world when your eyes are 8" off the ground!

OldGit

A fine old yew tree at Pipe Aston, Herefordshire.  The church in the background is about 900 years old, and there will almost certainly have been an earlier one on the site.  The tree looks likely to be over 1,000.

Strange - the yew is outside the church enclosure, which is unusual.  The boundary itself is unlikely to have moved: they are generally very ancient indeed and often pre-christian.

Amicale

Quote from: OldGit on April 25, 2012, 11:14:19 AM

A fine old yew tree at Pipe Aston, Herefordshire.  The church in the background is about 900 years old, and there will almost certainly have been an earlier one on the site.  The tree looks likely to be over 1,000.

Strange - the yew is outside the church enclosure, which is unusual.  The boundary itself is unlikely to have moved: they are generally very ancient indeed and often pre-christian.

That's a beautiful tree! It would make sense for a Yew to be outside the church enclosure, though. Historically they've been associated with sadness, graveyards, rebirth, etc. There are many pre-Christian as well as post-Christian connotations, when it comes to those. Assuming the tree is older than the church, then it's probably the original site they used for a graveyard. Have you seen any evidence of that there? Just curious.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

OldGit

That's the point, Asmocale - the precise boundaries of an English churchyard are usually the oldest part of the whole thing, not having changed since the sub-Roman foundation of the original church and often longer than that.  In this case the wall is modern, but you can bet the line is ancient.

Of course I'm not claiming that you won't find a really ancient yew outside a churchyard, but it's relatively rare, whereas they're extremely common within one.  So it's unusual, though not unique.  If this one has been seeded from inside the enclosure, how old would that make its parent?