Photography, photos you took, photos you are in, photos you like, the lot!

Started by Tank, June 07, 2011, 07:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Xjeepguy

Quote from: Tank on August 14, 2011, 06:08:34 PM
^^^ Not bad for a phone!

That phone had the best camera of any of the phones I have owned. I "upgraded" to a Droid X, and the camera was terrible in comparison. I actually had to start carrying my camera again.

That pic is just an example of why I live in WV. It is just beautiful here.
If I were re-born 1000 times, it would be as an atheist 1000 times. -Heisenberg

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

OldGit

If Xjg can take photos of that standard with a phone, it makes me look silly lugging my huge black camera around.  I shall slink away and sulk in a corner. :'(

Tank, yours are amazing, as usual.  8)

Xjeepguy

Quote from: OldGit on August 14, 2011, 08:30:29 PM
If Xjg can take photos of that standard with a phone, it makes me look silly lugging my huge black camera around.  
Thanks! I love taking pics of nature. Here's another pic I took the same day of a waterfall we came across.

Tank

Tank

Tank

Does anybody know what type of insect this is?

It's about 10mm long and frequents Rhododendron bushes.

Tank

Tank

Tank

The next frame looks exactly the same, but without the ladybird! I'll get one of the buggers taking off one day  >:(

McQ

Tank and xjeepguy, all of these recent shots are really nice. Tank's new toy will obviously keep him busy and out of trouble! How are you liking that Sony? I still hear all very positive things about those cameras, which is good, because they manufacture the sensor in my Nikon!

I'll post a couple of shots I got today at an air show rehearsal.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

McQ

Ok, here are some from today. This was a rehearsal for an air show this weekend. (Pics removed by me)

Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Tank

McQ, I seriously need a drooling smily! The clarity and quality of your pictures are just awsome, just fukin' awsome! The crossover is excellent and the focus on the pilots face in the taxing MiG is just perfect. And the focus and panning on the flypast MiG is well.... awsome!!! I mean they really are jaw dropping top quality shots. Faultless.

And a duck actually doing something, other than just sitting there looking dumb!

Sony bought Minolta. Minolta made very good and inovative cameras but never had the volume markets of Canon or Nikon so they were always strapped for cash in R&D. Sony identified the SLR camera market as an area they wanted to play in, so they bought Minolta. Through an odd set of citcumstances I own the three entry level cameras that Sony have produced the A100(10MP), A200(10MP) and the A290(14MP). The A100 is the digital camera Minolta never had the cash to design, it's very much a photographers camera that happens to have an automatic mode for the beginner. The trend with the A200 to A290 is to dumb the camera down to the point-and-shoot user. Most of the functionality is still there but it's buried in menus as they are cheaper (and more reliable) than switches and dials. There is also a trend for Sony to add all kinds of bells and whistles just to give the marketing department something to do.

My daughter has a Canon 5D mkII with a 24-105L. I borrowed it for a weekend. Ok it's 8 times the price of the A290 and it isn't technically 8 times better on paper, but in the hands of somebody who knows about photography it's almost infinitly better. It's a camera designed to take photographs not to make marketing copy.

It's my legacy lenses that keep me buying Sony bodies. Fortunatly the design of macro lenses makes them inherently suited to digital sensors or I would have had to completly swapped systems. If I won the lottery (not going to happen as I don't buy tickets) I'd re-equip with Canon like a shot.

Xjeepguy

I love this thread. Tank, those pics are amazing. The ladybug pic especially. That inspires me to save up for a good camera.

As for the Mig pics, Wow. The pic of the one taxiing on the runway is poster-worthy. Thats the kind of thing I would have framed on my office wall.

Very nice, keep it up!