Photography, photos you took, photos you are in, photos you like, the lot!

Started by Tank, June 07, 2011, 07:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

this is with my telephone yesterday  super wide angle lens mirrors the human eyes 12mm focal length but it distorts the verticals in the background in a way that a short telephoto would not.

set the function, not the mechanism.

billy rubin

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

the walking sticks are closely related. but odder

havent seen one ib a long while

hermes2015

Some weeks ago I took reference photos for a painting of clivias I am planning to start. When I looked at them over the weekend, I found one photo with a group of newly opened clivias I would like to include in the painting, but they are in the background and unfortunately badly out of focus. Here is a crop from the photo.

I opened it in an evaluation copy of Topaz Sharpen AI 4.1. Here is the result of applying the Out of Focus - Very Blurry filter.

It is now usable as a reference for my painting. I think it is quite remarkable how much out of focus detail has been extracted, so I thought it would be of interest to some of the photographers here.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

that is really impressive, especially the stuff far out of the focal plane in the background

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

I thought you guys would be impressed. I wonder how on earth the software does that.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

Ha, just for the hell of it, I applied the algorithm again to the first result I showed, expecting to get ugly artefacts. I was pleasantly surprised by the result.

― Charles Eames

billy rubin

i imagine the algorithm maps the image for hue and saturation, then identifies gradients.

once a gradient is identified it calculates an average value within preset limits and then resets all values within the gradient to the average value.

i suppose there must be at leastvtwo sorts of sliders that allow you to adjust what the preset limits will be, so you can watch the image get sharper and more distinct by concentrating colir range and intensity at one end, and then broader in color and less intense but more blurry at the other?

i would have no idea how to program that. i dont have the vocabulary to describe color

hermes2015

A wonderful photo by Lewis Hine, taken in 1920. He seems good at tightening nuts.

― Charles Eames

Magdalena

Quote from: hermes2015 on October 26, 2022, 04:40:58 AMA wonderful photo by Lewis Hine, taken in 1920. He seems good at tightening nuts.

I don't know, hermes2015,
I don't think he's even using the correct size wrench. And I'm sure he's violating some  "appropriate construction work attire code." I can't even see if he's wearing the required steel-toe work boots. And don't get me started with the importance of a tool belt, safety goggles, a hard hat, a Class 2 Standard Hi-Vis Safety Vest - Lime color, and gloves.

:grin:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

hermes2015

Quote from: Magdalena on October 26, 2022, 07:54:39 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on October 26, 2022, 04:40:58 AMA wonderful photo by Lewis Hine, taken in 1920. He seems good at tightening nuts.

I don't think he's even using the correct size wrench. And I'm sure he's violating some  "appropriate construction work attire code." I can't even see if he's wearing the required steel-toe work boots. And don't get me started with the importance of a tool belt, safety goggles, a hard hat, a Class 2 Standard Hi-Vis Safety Vest - Lime color, and gloves.

You make some good points. I think the situation needs closer inspection.
― Charles Eames

Magdalena

Quote from: hermes2015 on October 26, 2022, 04:18:20 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on October 26, 2022, 07:54:39 AM

You make some good points. I think the situation needs closer inspection.

It is a nice picture; however, my man does construction work, and I've asked him several times to just wear a white, sleeveless, close-fitting man's undershirt to work...

...But he refuses to.
 ;D

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

billy rubin

i looked him up. some of his stuff was vastly more political although all wrre wonderful pieces of art.

i didnt realize lots of the pictures of american industrial workers in pre union days were his

good whites and blacks are hard to get with emulsion films

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=lewis+hine+photographs&iax=images&ia=images