News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

What is the strangest story from the bible?

Started by Sweetdeath, May 31, 2011, 07:33:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: fester30 on June 11, 2011, 10:25:33 AM

Touche

Did everyone see that?
Fester just touched me!  :o

I like your new head, you look like a proper Fester now.

Sophus

‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

fester30

Nimzo

The Book of Esther has to be the strangest story in the Bible.
"Those who believe that they believe in God, but without passion in their hearts, without anguish in mind, without uncertainty, without doubt, without an element of despair even in their consolation, believe only in the God idea, not God Himself."  (Miguel de Unamuno)

Sweetdeath

My dad told me about the talking donkey. I just smiled and nodded, and died a little on the inside.

What story is that, Nizmo?
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Nimzo

"Those who believe that they believe in God, but without passion in their hearts, without anguish in mind, without uncertainty, without doubt, without an element of despair even in their consolation, believe only in the God idea, not God Himself."  (Miguel de Unamuno)

OldGit

Interesting, Nimzo, but I don't find it particularly strange.

Nimzo

Quote from: OldGit on June 14, 2011, 08:51:13 AM
Interesting, Nimzo, but I don't find it particularly strange.
That is why it is strange.  ;)

OldGit

Does that mean anything?  I don't see how that statement could seriously have been intended to convey any information.

Cryptic, at best, but probably just craptic.

Nimzo

What I mean is that it is strange precisely because you think it isn't strange: it is the only book of the Bible where God's name is not found.  Very strange for the Bible, but not at all strange for an atheist.

Whitney

Quote from: Nimzo on June 14, 2011, 05:36:22 PM
What I mean is that it is strange precisely because you think it isn't strange: it is the only book of the Bible where God's name is not found.  Very strange for the Bible, but not at all strange for an atheist.

Considering the books that make up the bible were selected by humans from a collection of works by various authors it's not strange that there are commonalities between some books and differences between others. 

Would it still be strange (to you) if 2 of the books didn't say god's name instead of just 1?

Nimzo

Quote from: Whitney on June 14, 2011, 06:18:29 PM
Considering the books that make up the bible were selected by humans from a collection of works by various authors it's not strange that there are commonalities between some books and differences between others.
That's true of any collection of books, surely? 

Would it still be strange (to you) if 2 of the books didn't say god's name instead of just 1?
Not as strange, but still somewhat strange, given that the books of the Bible are together because, at the very least, they talk about the same God.  What is your point?

Whitney

Quote from: Nimzo on June 14, 2011, 06:41:00 PM
Quote from: Whitney on June 14, 2011, 06:18:29 PM
That's true of any collection of books, surely? 

Not as strange, but still somewhat strange, given that the books of the Bible are together because, at the very least, they talk about the same God.  What is your point?

my point is that is it not strange...it's just like any collection of books.

OldGit

Quote from: NimzoI'm not saying that the Biblical canon itself is strange.

Well I think it is.  Much of it is bloody barking. ;D