News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Hello, new here.

Started by Geisthund, May 31, 2011, 04:04:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geisthund

Hello all,

I've been a lifetime atheist in a family of religious nuts, and I guess Im just seeking a community that can relate to -my- ideas and beliefs..I hope to have a productive and long stay here. Thanks for having me.

ThinkAnarchy

Welcome to HAF. I imagine you were raised with a religion, when exactly did you realize you were an atheist?

QuoteI've been a lifetime atheist in a family of religious nuts

The above statement just doesn't seem to fit. I don't think I've ever met a lifetime atheist who was raised by religious nuts. I'm not trying to nitpick, this just raised my curiosity.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

xSilverPhinx

Welcome!

What an interesting name...geist hund ;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 31, 2011, 06:43:29 AM
Welcome!

What an interesting name...geist hund ;D

hmm, what's it mean?
The spirit of dog?
The Dogly spirit sounds good

Anyway welcome Geisthund

Geisthund

Geisthund is just a catchy handle I use, Im sure if you ran it through a translator it would be gibberish; spirit/ghost dog/wolf is close. I kinda always knew I was an atheist..I just didnt have a way of communicating it until I was older. I wasnt taken to church ever, even though my family was catholic on my mothers side and non denominational on my fathers side, my mother saved me from that pain and in a way Im sure she knew that it wasnt part of me. Sorry if I misled you with that statement.

Tank

Hello Geisthund

I hope your stay is long and fruitful. Welcome to HAF.

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

The Black Jester

Welcome, look forward to your posts.  Hope you find a haven!
The Black Jester

"Religion is institutionalised superstition, science is institutionalised curiosity." - Tank

"Confederation of the dispossessed,
Fearing neither god nor master." - Killing Joke

http://theblackjester.wordpress.com

Willow

Hello Geisthund.  Is that German for Ghost dog?

Geisthund

Quote from: Willow on May 31, 2011, 09:44:41 PM
Yes it is, I roleplay a lot: DnD, RPG games, MMO's. It's the handle that I usually go by..Im not german or anything I just like the way it sounds.  8)

The Black Jester

Quote from: Geisthund on June 01, 2011, 04:04:57 AM
Yes it is, I roleplay a lot: DnD, RPG games, MMO's. It's the handle that I usually go by..Im not german or anything I just like the way it sounds.  8)

Awesome.  I'm a definite RPG fan myself.
The Black Jester

"Religion is institutionalised superstition, science is institutionalised curiosity." - Tank

Geisthund

What games do you play? Im currently playing (still) dragon age origins, RIFT, and Warhammer table top game.

The Black Jester

Quote from: Geisthund on June 01, 2011, 05:49:20 PM
What games do you play? Im currently playing (still) dragon age origins, RIFT, and Warhammer table top game.

For computer RPG's: Dragon Age Origins & II, Assassin's Creed II, and The Witcher II.  Witcher is my all-time fav.

For old-time Pen & Paper - every once in a while I still indulge in DnD or Shadowrun.  My brother generally runs a game a few times a year.

Good to meet you!
The Black Jester

Geisthund

For computer RPG's: Dragon Age Origins & II, Assassin's Creed II, and The Witcher II.  Witcher is my all-time fav.

For old-time Pen & Paper - every once in a while I still indulge in DnD or Shadowrun.  My brother generally runs a game a few times a year.

Good to meet you!

I miss the pen and paper games, Vampire the Masquerade was my all time favorite. Nice to meet you as well.

The Black Jester

Quote from: Geisthund on June 01, 2011, 06:30:36 PM
I miss the pen and paper games, Vampire the Masquerade was my all time favorite. Nice to meet you as well.

I only played Vampire the Masquerade once...never got into it.  I realized, while playing, that I didn't actually like vampires.  Never understood the trend.
The Black Jester

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Geisthund on June 01, 2011, 04:04:57 AM

I do want to say that I love your name. Welcome!  There are a lot of friendly people here.
i'm an MMO/RPG fan myself.

-Sweetdeath
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.