Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

God Debate Is Worthless

Started by Twentythree, May 24, 2011, 07:32:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Tank on June 25, 2011, 07:41:37 PM
Quote from: bicycle on June 25, 2011, 07:24:16 PM
great, but in a "lack of belief in god" one has to acknowledge it exists. ie My teacher says she is good at teaching, I lack belief in that... I guess your just gonna ignore my previous post, just try to comprehend it please.
One does not have to acknowledge something exists to lack belief in its existence. If you are having trouble with this situation consider Santa Clause. 

I believe a "belief in god" exists.
There's even books about him, usually him.

Davin

Quote from: bicycle on June 25, 2011, 07:24:16 PMgreat, but in a "lack of belief in god" one has to acknowledge it exists. ie My teacher says she is good at teaching, I lack belief in that... I guess your just gonna ignore my previous post, just try to comprehend it please.
No. Here's an example: I'm thinking of a thing, do you think the thing I'm thinking of exists or doesn't exist?
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Tank

Quote from: bicycle on June 26, 2011, 03:07:29 AM
Okay, but it's a concept that's hard for me to get around, I always thought Atheists claimed that God does not exist.
Ah! That explains a lot. There used to be a very active forum at the Richard Dawkins site. It was shut down when it developed a character that Dawkins didn't like. Now one of the most active threads was how atheists defined atheism. It was thousands of posts long and a sod to moderate as people got very hot and bothered.

The thread was headed by a pole based on a 'belief' scale defined by Dawkins and published in The God Delusion (TGD). Here is a screen capture I made of it when there had been over 5,000 responses. A user could only vote once but could change their vote if they felt their position had changed.

I would draw your attention to category 6 and 7. Level 6 is sometimes called a 'weak' atheist while 7 is sometimes called a 'strong' atheist.
So 4,555 respondents classified themselves as atheists.
3,289 (72%) defined themselves as level 6.
1,266 (28%) defined themselves as level 7.

So in round figures 3/4 of atheists WOULD NOT claim that God does not exist, while the remainder WOULD claim that God does not exist. I would rate myself as 6 on the Dawkins scale. So the large majority of atheists would not fit into your stated definition.

I hope that helps your understanding of how atheists view themselves rather what you have been told by people who appear not to know what they are talking about.

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

bicycle

Thank you that was very helpful  :)

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.