News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

For the love of Christ

Started by thedport, May 16, 2011, 10:43:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawen

Quote from: fester30

In Bible classes, some churches teach kids about martyrs.  In mine, the teacher told us about the importance of always standing up for Jesus, even if it cost us our lives.
Yeah, I got the same thing.

Conversely, if there ever were a god, it's name should be death. And the only thing we should ever have to say to it is "Not today".
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Twentythree

Quote from: Gawen on June 11, 2011, 02:25:58 AM
Quote from: fester30

In Bible classes, some churches teach kids about martyrs.  In mine, the teacher told us about the importance of always standing up for Jesus, even if it cost us our lives.
Yeah, I got the same thing.

Conversely, if there ever were a god, it's name should be death. And the only thing we should ever have to say to it is "Not today".

Nice GOT reference.

Too Few Lions

Quote from: Twentythree on June 10, 2011, 11:16:53 PM
Quote from: Too Few Lions on June 08, 2011, 01:39:38 PM
Church Fathers like Cyprian and Basil of Caesaria openly promoted martyrdom as a way of gaining entrance to heaven.

Sounds a lot like another group of religious extremists I know. The kind that like to drive planes into buildings.

Yeah, when you look at the way the Romans viewed the early Christians (and particularly the martyrs) it was very similar to how we westerners would view Islamic extremists today. And the way the early Christians viewed all non-Christians was very similar to the way al-Qaeda and other Islamic extremists view all infidels. The downside is that the religious extremists won out 1800 years ago. The outlawing of all non-Christian texts and any philosophical or religious debate, and the deliberate destruction of libraries, temples, academies and any other place of non-Christian learning in the 4th-6th centuries helped to bring about the Dark Ages.