News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Jail bans all books except the Bible

Started by The Magic Pudding, May 20, 2011, 07:20:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Magic Pudding

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/bookshow/stories/2011/3222001.htm
QuoteOfficials at the Moncks Corner jail in South Carolina, USA, have banned prisoners from having access to any reading material except the Bible.

The American Civil Liberties Union says that's unconstitutional and has taken the matter all the way to the US Federal Court.
There's an interview here http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/rn/podcast/2011/05/bsw_20110520_1005.mp3

There's more here http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice/2011/0413/Feds-request-Let-us-take-on-jail-that-bans-all-books-except-the-Bible

Sound's very dumb this.
You'd think part of the legal system would be aware of the law.

fester30

What makes you think that?  The ten commandments are all over the Supreme Court building.

Will37

Further proof that North Carolina was placed above South Carolina for a reason. 

Chew on that for a while. 
'Out of a great number of suppositions, shrewd in their own way, one in particular emerged at last (one feels strange even mentioning it): whether Chichikov were not Napoleon in disguise'
Nikolai Gogol--> Dead Souls

'Коба, зачем тебе нужна моя смерть?'
Николай Иванович Бухарин-->Letter to Stalin

'Death is not an event in life: we do not live to exp

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: fester30 on May 20, 2011, 12:05:25 PM
What makes you think that?  The ten commandments are all over the Supreme Court building.

So how old is this Supreme Court building?
Do you think the commandments would be used if it was built now?

There is this non christian symbolism, I don't know if it's used.
QuoteThe personification of justice balancing the scales of truth and fairness dates back to the Goddess Maat, and later Isis, of ancient Egypt.
I would suggest it might balance the Christian stuff, but then you'd have to kill me.

I thought the bible only policy was dumb because it didn't seem to have much hope in surviving, but my knowledge of your law is pretty basic.  I wonder what those who introduced the bible rule were thinking.

PapistItalian16

I think that's pretty stupid that they are not allowing any other books other than the Bible.

I'd say that Im imagining the jail wardon as a big Southern Baptist with a big "handlebar" mustache, wearing a pair of Wranglers and a plaid flannel shirt, and a big wad of chewing tobacco in his lip.

But that would be stereotyping.   8)
River: (speaking about the Bible) "It's broken. It doesn't make sense."
Shepherd Book: "It's not about making sense. It's about believing in something, and letting that belief be real enough to change your life. It's about faith. You don't fix faith, River. It fixes you."

-- Firefly.

Cecilie

The world's what you create.

hismikeness

No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Ihateyoumike

Quote from: hismikeness on May 20, 2011, 10:43:35 PM

...And a well done to you brother.

As soon as I saw this post I immediately thought of Shawshank.
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

Whitney

yes...because the best way to put ignorant hicks on the road to redemption is to make sure they remain ignorant...