News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Theists on an atheist forum?

Started by Crow, May 12, 2011, 01:36:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

One of the reasons I joined HAF was due to its diversity of it members whilst generally managing to maintain a high quality of debate and discussion that doesn't fall into the negatives found on other belief based forums.

As somebody who would class themselves as a liberal atheist with humanist and taoist tendencies my reason for wanting to participate in HAF rather than just observe is to have my views challenged without people retorting to the idiocy of offending (mainly what I was referring to earlier).

This question is aimed squarely at theist members as its relatively straight forward for a fellow atheist to understand why another would join.

Why did you join HAF over another forum that may be more aimed to your own belief system?
Retired member.

Tank

I have wondered this myself, so I'll tag along for the read.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Cecilie

I just assumed they were bored teenagers.
The world's what you create.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Maria

I'm not a theist but I've come across quite a few on this forum or others. The reasons they come here include:_

Testing their faith. They see it as a rite of passage.

Their faith has been shaken and this drives them into our arms, but I think these are mostly lurkers.

They see it as an intellectual challenge and come here with a smug, superior attitude. They try out tired old arguments that have been demolished gazillions of times but assume we've never seen them before.

They want to save our souls.

Curiosity.

I'm sure there are other reasons too.

Cooper20

Quote from: Maria on May 12, 2011, 08:50:05 AM
I'm not a theist but I've come across quite a few on this forum or others. The reasons they come here include:_

Their faith has been shaken and this drives them into our arms, but I think these are mostly lurkers.

They see it as an intellectual challenge and come here with a smug, superior attitude. They try out tired old arguments that have been demolished gazillions of times but assume we've never seen them before.

Curiosity.[/list]

I'm sure there are other reasons too.

And not doing a very good job.
"There are many types of religion, one of them in Christianity, which celebrates the irony of nailing a carpenter to two pieces of wood."

Byronazriel

I'm ostensibly a theist, really I'm an agnostic leaning toward apatheist but I believe in the possibility of the divine and that if I pray (which I don't.) that something somewhere would hear it. (Even if it's just my neighbour, who I strongly suspect is a telepath... or an empath, or some sort of spy.)

I hang out here because I find opposing view points to be intellectually stimulating. That and I don't particularly like pagan or agnostic forums.

Agnostic forum debates/arguments almost always always end with "Yes and no", or perhaps "maybe".

Pagan forums have there own problems, usually related to the fact that "pagan" is a very broad term.
"You are trying to understand madness with logic. This is not unlike searching for darkness with a torch." -Jervis Tetch

PapistItalian16

I'm a Roman Catholic.

Quote from: Cecilie on May 12, 2011, 07:11:12 AM
I just assumed they were bored teenagers.

This is reason one of my reasons. LOL

Quote from: Maria on May 12, 2011, 08:50:05 AM
:_

Curiosity.

Those too.

Sadly I did come here with a slightly cockey attitude, but now that I'm getting to know some people, I relise I'm not much different then them, other than our beleifs. And I no longer feel that I am better that any of them just because I am "saved". I have much to learn from the folks on this forum. And I respect them more now that I have spent some time here.

I am a member of a Catholic forum too, so this is more of my "secondary" forum.

I actually first came here with the intention to possibly cause a ruckus, but apon spending a little time here, I relised my origional goal was a D-bag thing to do.
River: (speaking about the Bible) "It's broken. It doesn't make sense."
Shepherd Book: "It's not about making sense. It's about believing in something, and letting that belief be real enough to change your life. It's about faith. You don't fix faith, River. It fixes you."

-- Firefly.

thedport

I am atheist and started out on the website Christian Forums, to talk to theists and show that atheists can be rational and respectful and have good advice. Then I came here because I was told that the sections I was posting in were "christian only" and that there were other places I could post my hogswollow, they sent me a link to here and I have to thank them for guiding me further away from their beliefs. So much for trying to bring me the word of god huh.
"An honest person can never surrender an honest doubt. Who doubts nothing knows nothing. The wise are prone to doubt."-The good book;Proverbs;Chapter 55

Stevil

Quote from: thedport on May 14, 2011, 12:42:17 AM
I am atheist and started out on the website Christian Forums
I want there too, not long ago, I wanted to find out what Christians talk about.
I found it really odd that most of the site was Christian only. I felt as if I was in the foyer with all the other non Christians, looking through the window and wondering if I would ever be allowed in.

In the "everyone section" they started talking about homosexuals and I found it interesting that most of the Christians were against persecution of homosexuals, they were actually quite tolerant, the thread was going well, but then the moderators locked it and stated that it was against the forum rules to even talk about homosexuals unless you were one and were seeking help to solve your problem.

I was aghast, left a message about it in my Welcome thread that I refused to participate in such an intolerant forum. I've never been back there.

Whitney

I had an account on Christian Forums a long time ago (probably still do if I could remember what login I used).  If I remember correctly the atheists use to have more range but then they made the range even smaller.  That coupled with no standards that discouraged dumb people from screwing up otherwise interesting conversations made it not enjoyable (ie you couldn't have a nice conversation with some christians about the place of evolution in a biblical understanding without some dumbass butting in about how evolution is false and the devil planted dino bones).  I don't know how the atmosphere is there now but also don't have any desire to try it out again since I really don't care much for arguing about religious topics anymore (just will on occasion if something I find interesting comes up)

Cooper20

I don't even need to go on a Christian Forum to talk with Christians. But I still do. But I don't visit very often, I got tired of being 'prayed for.'
"There are many types of religion, one of them in Christianity, which celebrates the irony of nailing a carpenter to two pieces of wood."

xSilverPhinx

Actually I've started posting on the phatmass forum (where all the recent influx of catholics are coming from) and so far so good.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Crow

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 15, 2011, 09:59:07 PM
where all the recent influx of catholics are coming from

I was wondering about that seemed really strange for there to be so many in such a short space of time.
Retired member.

PapistItalian16

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 15, 2011, 09:59:07 PM
Actually I've started posting on the phatmass forum (where all the recent influx of catholics are coming from) and so far so good.
I've been noticing you posting!! I think it's great!

Though I havnt seen Stevil in a while...hope we didnt scare him away.
River: (speaking about the Bible) "It's broken. It doesn't make sense."
Shepherd Book: "It's not about making sense. It's about believing in something, and letting that belief be real enough to change your life. It's about faith. You don't fix faith, River. It fixes you."

-- Firefly.