News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Hello

Started by Sterling9578, May 09, 2011, 03:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sterling9578

Well this is long story. Ok first I guess before my age of reason I was about 7 and my stepmom took me to church(Evanglical). And I learned about the basics and just kinda took as something serious but not really realistic to a 7 year old... Anyway my grandma was a wiccan in the least tradational sense of the word and probley was more pagan. But basically she had me convinced without a question the any christian idea was wrong and that people who are inside the religion are totally unforgiving and condemning. I was a practicing pagan for 6 years until I found a couple simple logical errors with the idea of reincarnation. Also I noted that(no offence to polythiests) but it seems to me that divinity is not possible in a polytheistic situation. More on that later. But what my grandma had programmed into me stuck and I was completely convinced that there was no way that the Christian God existed. But with polytheism gone from the options, and I was pretty shut to any other religion. So I determined that it is impossible to know if a god existed and I felt that why would the God care about us and what we do? After that I remained thinking that way until the months before my 15th year old birth day. I was flipping though my limited channels(damn ecomony) and I came to Joel Ostreen. I liked the way he preached. But then I was like so what has got this guy so.... riled up? So I sent out to find out so... like others before me I read the Bible. I then realized alot of what my grandma had told me wasn't true. Anyway then I went to a Lutheran church for 3 months. I went confermation classes and I attended Bible Study. I decided that in all their unformalness and enjoyable lightness, it was not the true in doctine according to the Bible. So I went to the Catholic Church. I have discovered the true spirit of God and it happened quick I am in Bible study and Youth Group unforunately lacking in some of the MOST basic theology at first but now I am as educated in theology better then most adults are. I also study biology, chemistry, and physics in school. I am not an unintelligent kid. I will show this. Also I am taking college classes and am study philosophy in preparation for all the sacraments.(yep Holy orders and Holy matrichamony)

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Sterling9578 on May 13, 2011, 03:02:38 AM
Well this is long story. Ok first I guess before my age of reason I was about 7 and my stepmom took me to church(Evanglical). And I learned about the basics and just kinda took as something serious but not really realistic to a 7 year old... Anyway my grandma was a wiccan in the least tradational sense of the word and probley was more pagan. But basically she had me convinced without a question the any christian idea was wrong and that people who are inside the religion are totally unforgiving and condemning. I was a practicing pagan for 6 years until I found a couple simple logical errors with the idea of reincarnation. Also I noted that(no offence to polythiests) but it seems to me that divinity is not possible in a polytheistic situation. More on that later. But what my grandma had programmed into me stuck and I was completely convinced that there was no way that the Christian God existed. But with polytheism gone from the options, and I was pretty shut to any other religion. So I determined that it is impossible to know if a god existed and I felt that why would the God care about us and what we do? After that I remained thinking that way until the months before my 15th year old birth day. I was flipping though my limited channels(damn ecomony) and I came to Joel Ostreen. I liked the way he preached. But then I was like so what has got this guy so.... riled up? So I sent out to find out so... like others before me I read the Bible. I then realized alot of what my grandma had told me wasn't true. Anyway then I went to a Lutheran church for 3 months. I went confermation classes and I attended Bible Study. I decided that in all their unformalness and enjoyable lightness, it was not the true in doctine according to the Bible. So I went to the Catholic Church. I have discovered the true spirit of God and it happened quick I am in Bible study and Youth Group unforunately lacking in some of the MOST basic theology at first but now I am as educated in theology better then most adults are. I also study biology, chemistry, and physics in school. I am not an unintelligent kid. I will show this. Also I am taking college classes and am study philosophy in preparation for all the sacraments.(yep Holy orders and Holy matrichamony)

Ah faith and its' multitudinous manifestations, what a wonderful thing.
You want to help the poor, but need help coping with their smelly feet, we can help.  In no time you'll be able to turn your nose up at those so called clever people.
Not comfortable with hell?  Easily fixed, we have a variety of plans for the squeamish.
Uneasy with clever woman, not happy with your place in society?  Don't fret half the population could be set below you.
Do you enjoy enthusiastic singing dancing and clapping, no worries we can do that too!
Yes that one is impressive, but yes you're right, a bit crass, too reminiscent of a used car sales man.
Ahh, I can see you're a discerning customer, yes the impeccable robes, regal hat, the metaphorical metaphors, the classics never go out of fashion. 

Sterling9578

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on May 13, 2011, 04:15:15 AM
You want to help the poor, but need help coping with their smelly feet, we can help.  In no time you'll be able to turn your nose up at those so called clever people.
Not comfortable with hell?  Easily fixed, we have a variety of plans for the squeamish.
Uneasy with clever woman, not happy with your place in society?  Don't fret half the population could be set below you.
Do you enjoy enthusiastic singing dancing and clapping, no worries we can do that too!
Yes that one is impressive, but yes you're right, a bit crass, too reminiscent of a used car sales man.
Ahh, I can see you're a discerning customer, yes the impeccable robes, regal hat, the metaphorical metaphors, the classics never go out of fashion. 
I am confused....

Sterling9578

oh I got it, I am not brainwashed, How do I know this? One, I do believe in Hell. I am not one those people who are unconfortable for punishment for ones sins. Also I had no one to push me but me. Another thing is that I am open minded. I have been to most religions holy places(churches,synagogues,mosques, etc.) so I know that I have a wide view of theology.

PapistItalian16

Quote from: Sterling9578 on May 09, 2011, 03:01:37 PM
Hi I am Sterling. I am 15 from the USA. I am former pagan and agnostic, now a Catholic. I like to just say....HI!

Hello Sterling!! I am a Catholic as well and I'm glad to read that you have found the Good News.

It is interesting to see that there has been such a large increase in thiests on this forum.
River: (speaking about the Bible) "It's broken. It doesn't make sense."
Shepherd Book: "It's not about making sense. It's about believing in something, and letting that belief be real enough to change your life. It's about faith. You don't fix faith, River. It fixes you."

-- Firefly.

amppax

And this serves what purpose exactly? It's cute but is rather childish.

Sterling9578

Quote from: PapistItalian16 on May 13, 2011, 06:23:02 PM
Quote from: Sterling9578 on May 09, 2011, 03:01:37 PM
Hi I am Sterling. I am 15 from the USA. I am former pagan and agnostic, now a Catholic. I like to just say....HI!

Hello Sterling!! I am a Catholic as well and I'm glad to read that you have found the Good News.

It is interesting to see that there has been such a large increase in thiests on this forum.
thank you.

Sterling9578

Quote from: amppax on May 13, 2011, 06:58:31 PM

I agree.

Stevil

Quote from: Sterling9578 on May 13, 2011, 04:11:49 PM
Another thing is that I am open minded. I have been to most religions holy places(churches,synagogues,mosques, etc.) so I know that I have a wide view of theology.
Had you considered that there might not be a god at all?
No witches, no gods, no demons, no ghosts, just an amazingly complex and natural reality without any supernatural.

PapistItalian16

Quote from: Stevil on May 13, 2011, 08:15:28 PM
Had you considered that there might not be a god at all?
No witches, no gods, no demons, no ghosts, just an amazingly complex and natural reality without any supernatural.

Not to but in, but, I had actually considered the Norse gods for about a month. This was a loooong time ago though.
River: (speaking about the Bible) "It's broken. It doesn't make sense."
Shepherd Book: "It's not about making sense. It's about believing in something, and letting that belief be real enough to change your life. It's about faith. You don't fix faith, River. It fixes you."

-- Firefly.

thedport

Hello and welcome. Hopefully you, as i have so far, will find this place awesome. I found it interesting for me on my own expeirience that I took much of the same journey you did. From devout baptist, my father is a minister, to agnostic, to wican, to agnostic, to buddhist. The biggest difference is that I went atheist, not saying anything bad. Just found in cool that we went through much of the same path faith wise but wound up in two very different places. Again welcome.
"An honest person can never surrender an honest doubt. Who doubts nothing knows nothing. The wise are prone to doubt."-The good book;Proverbs;Chapter 55

The Black Jester

The Black Jester

"Religion is institutionalised superstition, science is institutionalised curiosity." - Tank

"Confederation of the dispossessed,
Fearing neither god nor master." - Killing Joke

http://theblackjester.wordpress.com

Tank

Quote from: Sterling9578 on May 13, 2011, 07:01:25 PM
Quote from: amppax on May 13, 2011, 06:58:31 PM

I agree.
Then you both need to read it again. TMPs posts are unusual in style and take a bit of reading to get your head around.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sterling9578

In the process of being of Agnostic, I did. But I concluded the probilibity was too low for me. Sorry. NO OFFENCE INTENDED to anyone.

Cooper20

"There are many types of religion, one of them in Christianity, which celebrates the irony of nailing a carpenter to two pieces of wood."