News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Karma/Kudo System - Yes/No?

Started by Whitney, May 05, 2011, 01:31:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney

Poll will close in 14 days.  For now I've decided to disable it due to negative feedback on the system and no positive feedback.

The Black Jester

I personally love the Kudos system.
The Black Jester

"Religion is institutionalised superstition, science is institutionalised curiosity." - Tank

"Confederation of the dispossessed,
Fearing neither god nor master." - Killing Joke

http://theblackjester.wordpress.com

hismikeness

Can you make the button anything you want, and it is simply a voting mechanism? If so, how about making it something where when a person uses the correct "there, their, or they're" "too, to or too" "definitely or defiantly" we can vote positively, and when they mess it up we can crack a negative off?
;D

That way, those of us that it really bothers (and there are several if I remember right from the Pet Peeves thread- revival here) can be passively aggressive.
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

Asmodean

Keep it... Call it something more interesting though  :P
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Divisive, negative, creepy and cliquey. Get rid of it please. In my experience it just becomes the focus of some peoples life on a forum and destroys the atmosphere.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

DaveD

I'm not so bothered about kudos/karma when there's a positive vote, but negative ones could easily turn into a vendetta, and the anonymity, and not knowing which post is being judged, would make that worse.

Tank

Quote from: DaveD on May 05, 2011, 08:53:08 AM
I'm not so bothered about kudos/karma when there's a positive vote, but negative ones could easily turn into a vendetta, and the anonymity, and not knowing which post is being judged, would make that worse.
+1  :D
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Recusant

One forum that I belong to has it set so that only positive votes are registered, and the names of all those who voted up a post are displayed in that post. Relatively innocuous, but there's still the potential for the creepy cliqueyness which Tank mentioned.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

The Magic Pudding

The Kudo system's been suspended?
Damn, I've started all those sock puppet accounts for nothen.

Tank

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on May 05, 2011, 10:40:53 AM
The Kudo system's been suspended?
Damn, I've started all those sock puppet accounts for nothen.
I would have though you'd have created glove puppets myself  :P

Melmoth

I'd rather it weren't there. Especially since it's an anonymous one. I know some karma systems force the person dishing it out to write a little message to their victim, explaining why they like/did not like their post, but I think even these can breed a sort of attention-seeking, popularity driven attitude. I think good discussions need a healthy 'breeding pool' - that means dissenting viewpoints should be respected, protected and encouraged.
"That life has no meaning is a reason to live - moreover, the only one." - Emil Cioran.

AnimatedDirt

My take on the Kudos is that I really don't care if it is used.  As I mentioned on another thread, I am at odds with 99% of this forum and would expect the negative Kudos to rack up on me.  I definitely wouldn't wear the negative as a badge of honor, it wouldn't hurt me, but simply would be a predictable indicator of the nature of being a Christian on an Atheist forum.  I probably wouldn't use the system at all for negatives, but might give a few Kudos out to Whitney, Will, McQ...and the other mods because regardless of my thoughts, ideas, beliefs, they've treated me as an equal.  I've rcvd a lash or two at the beginning, but also rcvd fair and prompt backing when I needed it.  Definitely not trying to brown-nose, but simply speaking the truth.  I wouldn't be here still if I didn't feel HAF was a comfortable place to participate with the "enemy".  ...haha, that was a joke.

What I would like to see back is the World View thingy that appeared under everyones avatar on the other system.  I liked knowing each ones take, whether Hard Atheist, Agnostic, Existentialist...and on to Christian and even the custom ones.

Ihateyoumike

Quote from: AnimatedDirt
What I would like to see back is the World View thingy that appeared under everyones avatar on the other system.  I liked knowing each ones take, whether Hard Atheist, Agnostic, Existentialist...and on to Christian and even the custom ones.

Under the "Forum Profile Information" link- the one used to set avatar and signature- there is a box labeled "personal text". I added my  worldview in there, which is why anti-fundie shows up under my avatar which tells fundies what they should be doing. ;)

Wonder if that could just be changed into "worldview" instead of "personal text"?

And as for the kudos system... I'm not too worried if it'll stick around or not cause it would seem to just become a popularity contest and I'm not sure I really see the point.
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

Recusant

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on May 05, 2011, 04:18:32 PMWhat I would like to see back is the World View thingy that appeared under everyones avatar on the other system.  I liked knowing each ones take, whether Hard Atheist, Agnostic, Existentialist...and on to Christian and even the custom ones.

(Edited out instructions: Ihateyoumike beat me too it. [Well done sir!])

I suppose you could request that putting something in the "Personal Text" be made non-optional in the Wish List and Trivial Problems thread.  I think that the mandatory descriptors in the old software were useful too, and sometimes amusing, as when obvious Christians wanted to make some sort of misguided statement by calling themself a "Freethinker."
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Ihateyoumike on May 05, 2011, 06:26:33 PMUnder the "Forum Profile Information" link- the one used to set avatar and signature- there is a box labeled "personal text". I added my  worldview in there, which is why anti-fundie shows up under my avatar which tells fundies what they should be doing. ;)
Thanks!  :)  I changed mine to reflect my belief(s).