News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Atheist Image Dump II

Started by Whitney, April 30, 2011, 02:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

I love some Christian logic first thing in the morning...

Save the vegetables!

(Although tomatoes are actually fruit).
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Icarus

^ Question: Is it true that the victim of crucifixion is more likely to die from asphyxiation than from blood loss? 

In any case, being nailed to a board would certainly spoil a perfectly good day.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on June 05, 2016, 02:59:50 AM
^ Question: Is it true that the victim of crucifixion is more likely to die from asphyxiation than from blood loss? 

In any case, being nailed to a board would certainly spoil a perfectly good day.

According to Wikipedia, yes.

QuoteCause of death

The length of time required to reach death could range from hours to days depending on method, the victim's health, and the environment. A literature review by Maslen and Mitchell identified scholarly support for several possible causes of death: cardiac rupture, heart failure, hypovolemic shock, acidosis, asphyxia, arrhythmia, and pulmonary embolism.[48] Death could result from any combination of those factors or from other causes, including sepsis following infection due to the wounds caused by the nails or by the scourging that often preceded crucifixion, eventual dehydration, or animal predation.

A theory attributed to Pierre Barbet holds that, when the whole body weight was supported by the stretched arms, the typical cause of death was asphyxiation. He wrote that the condemned would have severe difficulty inhaling, due to hyper-expansion of the chest muscles and lungs. The condemned would therefore have to draw himself up by his arms, leading to exhaustion, or have his feet supported by tying or by a wood block. When no longer able to lift himself, the condemned would die within a few minutes. Some scholars, including Frederick Zugibe, posit other causes of death. Zugibe suspended test subjects with their arms at 60° to 70° from the vertical. The test subjects had no difficulty breathing during experiments, but did suffer rapidly increasing pain, which is consistent with the Roman use of crucifixion to achieve a prolonged, agonizing death. However, Zugibe's positioning of the test subjects' feet are not supported by any archaeological or historical evidence.

I wouldn't be too sure, though...perhaps.

Essie Mae

Quote from: Tank on June 09, 2016, 01:08:51 PM

Ah ha! But God knew about epigenetics. (My predictive text didn't though).
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Magdalena

Quote from: Tank on June 09, 2016, 01:08:51 PM

What's the point of asking? His/her answer will always be, "Yes."--And nothing will change that. Even if you rephrase the question, instead of asking if they believe this, you ask, "Does this sound logical to you?" The answer is still going to be, "Yes." This is where I don't know what to do. How do you continue talking with someone who believes that one day, many years ago, one snake spoke?
--I just say, "OK."  :shifty: ...and slowly walk away.

If this is a metaphor, who is this snake? Who does he represent? Does he/she have a name? Why did God put him/her there if he knew he/she was going to tempt them into doing what he didn't want them to do? If God knows everything, then he knew they were going to sin, so why does he ask them--"What the hell did you do?" When he already knew?--It just doesn't make sense.
I say, Adam and Eve...if they existed...were framed. What was it about these two that God didn't like?  :notsure:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Recusant

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Firebird

Whoops, looks like we missed it.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Siz

Rigorously scientific, of course...

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

No one

Tank

Tank