News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Atheist Image Dump II

Started by Whitney, April 30, 2011, 02:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Biggus Dickus

I'd love to put Biblical Law Enforcement Robots in the homes of the Jerry Falwell's, Ted Haggard's, Joel Olsteen's and Kim Davis's of the world and watch what happens.

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Guardian85

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Icarus

The last two posts graphically reflect my considered position; succinctly.

Tank

Guardian85

Not sure if real or parody, but still humorous.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Icarus

^If that is a bit of historical reality, then I salute Harrington's development of the anti angel cannon.

Recusant

The Sir John Harington most well known to history was a poet and courtier in the time of Elizabeth I. While he did invent the flushing toilet, there is no mention of him coming up with an idea to shoot angels out of the sky. As for being an atheist, he wrote a work consisting of epigrams titled "Against Paulus an Atheist," and there is no indication that he was an atheist himself. I cannot unequivocally call bullshit on that "infographic" but as it stands I wouldn't consider it to have any credibility either, especially since the supposed source is that den of liars for Jesus, the "Institute for Creation Research."
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Recusant on February 12, 2016, 09:58:12 AM
The Sir John Harington most well known to history was a poet and courtier in the time of Elizabeth I. While he did invent the flushing toilet, there is no mention of him coming up with an idea to shoot angels out of the sky. As for being an atheist, he wrote a work consisting of epigrams titled "Against Paulus an Atheist," and there is no indication that he was an atheist himself. I cannot unequivocally call bullshit on that "infographic" but as it stands I wouldn't consider it to have any credibility either, especially since the supposed source is that den of liars for Jesus, the "Institute for Creation Research."

Well I for one call bullshit on the "Infographic". For one Sir John died in 1612, long before cartridges and precision caps would have made such a weapon as shown in the info-graph even remotely possible .
Secondly anti-aircraft weapons as far as I understand did not really have a solitary inventor, but evolved out of need during WWI when regular field artillery weapons were turned toward the sky to shoot down airplanes which were of course starting to be used as weapons themselves for the first time in warfare.

Also, I would agree with Recusant there is nothing to suggest that Sir John was an atheist.

Christians, especially the ones believing in creationism are so accustom to lying to support their non-sensical beliefs that creating a bogus info-graph such as this one is not hard to believe; and was surely used not to turn skeptics like ourselves back into believers, but to foster the notion amongst themselves that we Atheists are secretly afraid we may be wrong and would do anything to hide the truth from ourselves, when quite the opposite is true.

One has to wonder though why they picked Sir John for this, and not someone who lived closer to the modern age, a late 19th or early 20th century atheist as opposed to one who lived back in the late 1500's?

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Crow

Those kind of images always remind me of Brass Eye. https://youtu.be/NesjvRihbEg?t=69
Retired member.

Crow

Retired member.

Tank

Guardian85

-Unknown Smartass-

Tank