News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Atheist Image Dump II

Started by Whitney, April 30, 2011, 02:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

En_Route

Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 22, 2012, 09:25:42 PM
Quote from: En_Route on July 22, 2012, 09:24:07 PM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 22, 2012, 09:20:25 PM
Yes, and with that said, i still often wonder how many actual people read the fucking bible.  >:(

Far too many.

You'd be surprised how many just cherry pick the 'good' stuff. Or attend church and listen to the pastor squawk all the bleh bleh about jebus.
I agree  that the overwhelming majority  of believers don't engage with the source material. I would  also say a minuscule proportion have any notion about its  murky origins and troubled gestation. My remark was implying that however low the numbers of those who actually do read it, that's  still too many.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Amicale

Quote from: En_Route on July 22, 2012, 10:00:08 PM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 22, 2012, 09:25:42 PM
Quote from: En_Route on July 22, 2012, 09:24:07 PM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 22, 2012, 09:20:25 PM
Yes, and with that said, i still often wonder how many actual people read the fucking bible.  >:(

Far too many.

You'd be surprised how many just cherry pick the 'good' stuff. Or attend church and listen to the pastor squawk all the bleh bleh about jebus.
I agree  that the overwhelming majority  of believers don't engage with the source material. I would  also say a minuscule proportion have any notion about its  murky origins and troubled gestation. My remark was implying that however low the numbers of those who actually do read it, that's  still too many.

Agreed. Back when I was letting a few family members know I didn't 'believe in' the Bible, I was asked why, and they were genuinely bewildered. Rightly so, too; for all they knew, the bible was just a nice collection of stories about the history of God and his people... with a lot of warm fuzzy stories about how much Jesus loved us. They understood vaguely that were were a few 'nasty bits' in the Bible, but couldn't cite any of them, and said "well, that was a long time ago, and things were different then".  ::)

After I got a good solid list of objections/quotes etc I had made up, and shared with them, I had a couple loved ones with eyes nearly popping out of their heads... and a much more thorough understanding of why I did not believe in the Bible.  :P

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Siz

Old news, perhaps, but I came across this today and thought Git might appreciate it.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Siz

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sweetdeath

I'm not sure if this has been posted yet

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/religion

gotta love The oatmeal 8)
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Sandra Craft

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Asmodean

Quote from: Image on July 22, 2012, 08:58:14 PM
For Adam was formed first, than Eve
...Which, of course, means... What, exactly? That he'd be the first to get a midlife crisis?

I'm not a religious scholar, obviously, but what exactly does The Book(tm) think that being older makes you, except... Older and perhaps more wrinkly?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Asmodean on July 25, 2012, 06:04:27 AM
Quote from: Image on July 22, 2012, 08:58:14 PM
For Adam was formed first, than Eve
...Which, of course, means... What, exactly? That he'd be the first to get a midlife crisis?

I'm not a religious scholar, obviously, but what exactly does The Book(tm) think that being older makes you, except... Older and perhaps more wrinkly?

More wrinkly, but none the wiser. Maybe some of Adam's later life postural problems are due to the rib that god took from him? No wonder some men are so grumpy as they grow older, and throw temper tantrums. ::)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

MariaEvri

I think it means that Adam as created first, as God intended but later he created Eve to keep Adam company and do "stuff" with him. So Adam is God's chosen and Eve is a necessity. My thoughts
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Asmodean

...So there he was, grumpy, old and ribless, not to mention wrinkly... And she had to do stuff with him. And that was before Asmo invented multi billionaires to be married for fame and fortune... God's an asshole.  ???
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

fester30

I don't think I'd be a grumpy Adam until I saw that my kids had belly buttons and I didn't.  I'd feel cheated.

Asmodean

Yes, well, he was probably completely unliveable with after that... And several hundred years of nasty is... Nasty.  :-\
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Sweetdeath

The idea of being made for someone is pretty....creepy. Like Stockholm syndrome creepy.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

hismikeness

No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite