News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Atheist Image Dump II

Started by Whitney, April 30, 2011, 02:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guardian85

Quote from: Amicale on April 12, 2012, 06:31:42 PM
If he was suffering from a mental illness (I don't know if he was, but let's just assume for a moment that he was), would you still pay to watch that?

If he ripped his own eyes out, I think it safe to assume that he isn't playing with all 52 cards....

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Amicale

Quote from: Guardian85 on April 12, 2012, 06:41:22 PM
If he was suffering from a mental illness (I don't know if he was, but let's just assume for a moment that he was), would you still pay to watch that?

If he ripped his own eyes out, I think it safe to assume that he isn't playing with all 52 cards....

I'd think it would be safe to assume that too. Which is why I can't quite grasp why someone would find it funny, or joke about paying money to see it. It's just sad, that's all. Sorry. I seem to be in a bad mood, and this kind of thing is a sore point for me.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Dobermonster

Quote from: Amicale on April 12, 2012, 06:47:02 PM
Quote from: Guardian85 on April 12, 2012, 06:41:22 PM

I'd think it would be safe to assume that too. Which is why I can't quite grasp why someone would find it funny, or joke about paying money to see it. It's just sad, that's all. Sorry. I seem to be in a bad mood, and this kind of thing is a sore point for me.

I think for many people, expressions of insanity are so oddball and detached from the norm as to be fodder for sarcasm and jokes, without fully realizing the torment and tragedy. For those of us who have felt the outer edges of sanity, it's a grim reminder of what can happen to an ill mind untreated. Dark humor can be healing, but in this case I see little levity in either the original article or the idea that such an event would be humorous to watch. I think anyone who suggests that it would has never seen either true insanity or violent, grotesque injury.

Asmodean

If he was suffering from a mental illness (I don't know if he was, but let's just assume for a moment that he was),
Oh, I do work from that assumption.

would you still pay to watch that?
I guess my last line answers that.   :P
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Ali

Amicale

Quote from: Asmodean on April 12, 2012, 07:03:27 PM
If he was suffering from a mental illness (I don't know if he was, but let's just assume for a moment that he was),
Oh, I do work from that assumption.

would you still pay to watch that?
I guess my last line answers that.   :P

And I suppose you'd pay good money to see me doing something insane because the voices in my head told me too,nevermind the fact that they used to be damned terrifying and sent me into severe depression and PTSD, which I'm sure that poor guy who removed his own eyes would also be trying damned hard to battle through, assuming he ever got some help for his mental illness.

I don't know what to say that I won't regret later, Asmo, so... I just won't say anything else here. I'm just sorry you think that it would be funny or amusing to see that. It only shows me you haven't lived with that kind of terror, and I am genuinely happy for you.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Tank

Now, now. Let's not let this degenerate into something very un-HAF like please.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Eh... I don't take any one, their misfortune included, more seriously than I do myself.

I do have some pills against voices in head, but those have not happened to me often - all my self-harming and suicidal episodes were of my own doing, and it's likely that someone would pay coin to see that if they could, although it's probably nowhere near as spectacular as what was described above.

Tank, I doubt these sparks will result in a fire.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: Asmodean on April 12, 2012, 10:21:50 PM
Eh... I don't take any one, their misfortune included, more seriously than I do myself.

I do have some pills against voices in head, but those have not happened to me often - all my self-harming and suicidal episodes were of my own doing, and it's likely that someone would pay coin to see that if they could, although it's probably nowhere near as spectacular as what was described above.

Tank, I doubt these sparks will result in a fire.
I doubt it too, but I'd hate to see a falling out. Sometimes things get said that are difficult to un-say.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Augustus

Oh crap, i wasn't expecting that image to spark something off  :o

I'm pretty amazed at how it wasn't front page news. It could have been twisted to raise awareness, the man was obviously unhinged.  :-\
Maybe it was god after all, you've gotta be pretty strong to tear out your own eyes.

Asmodean

Quote from: Tank on April 12, 2012, 11:15:32 PM
Sometimes things get said that are difficult to un-say.
Why would you un-say something unless you didn't mean it, in which case, un-saying it needs not require more than "Didn't mean that" or an explanation in case of misunderstanding?
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Ali

Quote from: Asmodean on April 12, 2012, 11:36:10 PM
Quote from: Tank on April 12, 2012, 11:15:32 PM
Sometimes things get said that are difficult to un-say.
Why would you un-say something unless you didn't mean it, in which case, un-saying it needs not require more than "Didn't mean that" or an explanation in case of misunderstanding?

Not speaking for Amicale, I find that the things that hurt usually have some kernal of truth to them or prey on some insecurity of mine.  Even if you didn't mean it, if it hurt me, that means it struck some chord in me, and you saying "Didn't mean it" wouldn't unring the bell, so to speak, because it must be something I believe about myself somewhere inside.  Like, if you said "You have gross feet" it wouldn't hurt because I obviously have adorable feet.  If you said "You're too fat" that would hurt because some part of me believes that I'm too fat, even if you don't.  And you saying "Didn't mean it" wouldn't unhurt it because I still feel it.  Does that make sense?

Asmodean

In the sense of demonstrating the difference between The Asmo and humans, yes, it does make sense. In my world, however, insecurities are to be found and walled off or rooted out and correct assessments are... Correct.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

joeactor

Uh...

Aren't there supposed to be some, oh, I dunno... pictures posted here???

(back on topic, please ;-)

Ali