News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Please present positive evidence for atheism

Started by angelosergipe, April 13, 2011, 04:18:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Extropian

I'm having a great deal of difficulty with involuntary scrolling of a quoted post and of quoting lines of posts.

It seems to occur mainly when I click on QUOTE to make a reply. The writing jerks up and down.

It doesn't happen with the several other groups I contribute to.

Can any member suggest whether my computer's at fault or could it be a managemen/server problem?

I'm surprised my formatting arouses disquiet in some members. If there are standard rules for formatting, what are they?

I have posted this way since the mid 1990s and not been criticised for it. I have no intentions of antagonising any one.

Extropian 
Few nations have been so poor as to have but one god. Gods were made so easily, and the raw material cost so little, that generally the god market was fairly glutted and heaven crammed with these phantoms.
Robert Green Ingersoll
Read more: http://www.brainy

Whitney

On forums the proper format is to use the bbcode to quote other users and when quoting from outside sources (i don't know that bbcode existed in the early 90s)...this gives a basic overview of how to do that:
http://www.happyatheistforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=203.0

This is a stable release of the SMF software and I haven't had any weird scrolling issues; so I'd assume it is your computer. 

Stevil

I get teh same problem, makes it very hard to write a post, especially if it is over a certain amount of lines long. Basically exceeds the default length of the input box, This commonly occurs when quoting a previous post.
Instead I press Ctr+A to highlight all the text, then Ctr+C to copy and edit it within Word or something else. When finished I paste it back. Quite annoying, but workable.

The Black Jester

Quote from: Stevil on May 10, 2011, 11:33:41 AM
I get teh same problem, makes it very hard to write a post, especially if it is over a certain amount of lines long. Basically exceeds the default length of the input box, This commonly occurs when quoting a previous post.
Instead I press Ctr+A to highlight all the text, then Ctr+C to copy and edit it within Word or something else. When finished I paste it back. Quite annoying, but workable.

I've had the same problem.  Seems to be an Internet Explorer issue with me.  Once I switched to Firefox, no problem.
The Black Jester

"Religion is institutionalised superstition, science is institutionalised curiosity." - Tank

"Confederation of the dispossessed,
Fearing neither god nor master." - Killing Joke

http://theblackjester.wordpress.com

The Magic Pudding

These posts don't seem to present positive evidence for atheism.
They seem to indicate mysterious forces interfering with an atheist forum.

fester30

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on May 16, 2011, 09:44:47 AM
These posts don't seem to present positive evidence for atheism.
They seem to indicate mysterious forces interfering with an atheist forum.

Ach.  There are atheists.  Therefore atheism is a real thing.  That's positive evidence that there is atheism.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: fester30 on May 18, 2011, 05:17:35 PM
Ach.  There are atheists.  Therefore atheism is a real thing.  That's positive evidence that there is atheism.

You are right.
I think it's time for a purge.
Time to eliminate those who don't don't believe right.

Asmodean

The fault lies with Internet Explorer. I'm not sure if there is a workaround, short of getting another browser, but now that I remembered this issue, I'll look and see if I can find one and post it here if I do.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

fester30

Quote from: Asmodean on May 19, 2011, 07:11:14 AM
The fault lies with Internet Explorer. I'm not sure if there is a workaround, short of getting another browser, but now that I remembered this issue, I'll look and see if I can find one and post it here if I do.

But I'm using Firefox and still not seeing it.

Whitney

Quote from: fester30 on May 19, 2011, 11:58:13 AM
Quote from: Asmodean on May 19, 2011, 07:11:14 AM

But I'm using Firefox and still not seeing it.

That's because Firefox=win

Asmodean

Quote from: Whitney on May 19, 2011, 03:20:30 PMThat's because Firefox=win

It's free software. For that reason alone, it will forever remain crap in my book. Mostly because I know two guys who make free software... It's a personal thing.

EDIT: fester, you are having this very issue while using FireFox? If so, I'll need to dig in a slightly different direction.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: Asmodean on May 21, 2011, 07:43:43 AM

It's free software. For that reason alone, it will forever remain crap in my book. Mostly because I know two guys who make free software... It's a personal thing.

EDIT: fester, you are having this very issue while using FireFox? If so, I'll need to dig in a slightly different direction.
So how come Microsoft make billions and STILL make crap software?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on May 28, 2011, 10:14:48 PM

Imagine if there was no Apple or any other competition.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 29, 2011, 01:35:56 AM

NNNNNNNNNNnnnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooo!!!!!!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Quote from: Tank on May 29, 2011, 08:23:43 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 29, 2011, 01:35:56 AM

NNNNNNNNNNnnnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooo!!!!!!
Actually, the sometimes frustrating Microsoft software has served me well for as long as I can remember. Oh, sure, there have been problems and glitches and crashes and bluescreens, but it's kind of like my car.... There may be rust, but it never fails to get me where I'm going.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.