News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Overrated musicians

Started by hismikeness, April 08, 2011, 05:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cecilie

Quote from: "Squid"Any boy "band" and any group that ever labeled itself as "nu-metal"....okay maybe that's less about overrated things and rather things Squid despises... :D
I second this. As well as any metalcore band.
The world's what you create.

MariaEvri

iron maiden
yes ok they're good but EVERY time they have a new album its always voted "best album of the year" even if it's just "eh"
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Stevil

This is such a negative thread, I refuse to participate.

Cecilie

Quote from: "MariaEvri"iron maiden
yes ok they're good but EVERY time they have a new album its always voted "best album of the year" even if it's just "eh"
I've noticed the same thing. I didn't think 'The Final Frontier' was a very good album, yet it got good reviews.

Quote from: "Stevil"This is such a negative thread, I refuse to participate.
Useless post.

Stevil

Quote from: "Cecilie"
I've noticed the same thing. I didn't think 'The Final Frontier' was a very good album, yet it got good reviews.
I've been a fan of theirs for over 20 years. I think The Final Frontier is the best album they have ever put out. They are much less constrained, much less by the rock formula and have introduced many new and innovative ideas on this album. But to me it is well balance, they haven't gone over the top.
Starblind is the best song I have ever heard. To me it redefines music. Actually I just think any new music I have heard since that song has just sounded formulaic standard stuff. I know lots of people don't like that song but to me it is divine. I also love the drumming on the Talisman but hate the intro. I was able to shave off the intro on my mp3 which saved the song for me.

Useless post.
This is such a negative thread, music is subjective, I don't understand the value in putting bands or musicians down. I mean, if you are not a fan then of course you don't like the music, if you can't appreciate the music then how can you give valuable comments on it? It would be like me trying to critique rap or house or hip hop. Anyway, to each their own.

Cecilie

Quote from: "Stevil"
I've been a fan of theirs for over 20 years. I think The Final Frontier is the best album they have ever put out. They are much less constrained, much less by the rock formula and have introduced many new and innovative ideas on this album. But to me it is well balance, they haven't gone over the top.
Starblind is the best song I have ever heard. To me it redefines music. Actually I just think any new music I have heard since that song has just sounded formulaic standard stuff. I know lots of people don't like that song but to me it is divine. I also love the drumming on the Talisman but hate the intro. I was able to shave off the intro on my mp3 which saved the song for me.
My main problem with 'The Final Frontier' is the vocals. To me, they're painful to listen to and it ruins the entire album for me.

Quote from: "Stevil"
Useless post.
This is such a negative thread, music is subjective, I don't understand the value in putting bands or musicians down. I mean, if you are not a fan then of course you don't like the music, if you can't appreciate the music then how can you give valuable comments on it? It would be like me trying to critique rap or house or hip hop. Anyway, to each their own.
I don't like hip hop or rap either, so I didn't comment on it. And like I said in an earlier post, I like Metallica, they're one of my favorite bands, but I consider them to be overrated.

Music is subjective, yes, but you can't possibly say that Ke$ha's song 'Tik Tok' is better than 'Stairway To Heaven'.

Davin

Quote from: "Stevil"This is such a negative thread, music is subjective, I don't understand the value in putting bands or musicians down. I mean, if you are not a fan then of course you don't like the music, if you can't appreciate the music then how can you give valuable comments on it? It would be like me trying to critique rap or house or hip hop. Anyway, to each their own.
I like a bunch of stuff that I'm pretty sure is crap and that a lot of people don't like and/or look down on. It doesn't matter to me if people put down the stuff I like or make fun of it, I'll still like it and say I like it. Because art is subjective, people putting it down is equally subjective, so it shouldn't really matter to people.

Also, I do not think it's impossible to like something that didn't take too much skill to produce just as I think it's possible to not like something that can't be created without years of training and practice. So while I don't really have anything to add for overrated musicians, I do like reading what other people think about some musicians.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Ulver

^I find myself apologizing for liking bands a LOT. My best example is Vampire Weekend

Stevil

Quote from: "Cecilie"My main problem with 'The Final Frontier' is the vocals. To me, they're painful to listen to and it ruins the entire album for me.
Fair enough call.

There are a few issues with the vocals and I can see how it irritates.
The layering has not been done well at all. It makes Bruce sound strained, especially on the title track. There is also an issue with a bit of distortion on Bruce's voice, especially on the title track again, everytime he says Final Frontier which is alot the F's sound like he is spraying sputum.
Sometimes he sounds amazing, like on Wild Wind, or the intro to the Man who would be King. At first I thought old Bruce was struggling to hit the notes, but now I really do think it is a production issue. Regardless, it is part of the final product. I've got used to it and love the music.

Quote from: "Stevil"This is such a negative thread, music is subjective, I don't understand the value in putting bands or musicians down. I mean, if you are not a fan then of course you don't like the music, if you can't appreciate the music then how can you give valuable comments on it? It would be like me trying to critique rap or house or hip hop. Anyway, to each their own.
I don't like hip hop or rap either, so I didn't comment on it. And like I said in an earlier post, I like Metallica, they're one of my favorite bands, but I consider them to be overrated.

Music is subjective, yes, but you can't possibly say that Ke$ha's song 'Tik Tok' is better than 'Stairway To Heaven'.
I live somewhat in a cave. I always put my iPod on rather than listen to radio so am unaware of many mainstream songs. Never heard of 'Tik Tok'
I could easily say that 'Stairway To Heaven' is overrated. It is an extremely easy song to play on guitar and very repeatative. But if people rate it then who am I to say they are wrong?
Metallica, overrated? They have won over mainstream fans, not just the metal population. It's funny when you think about fans of music, there tends to be one album, one song even that catches them, then they are devoted for life. For Metallica it was the black album. Before then they were reletively unknown. But now alot of people say that MOP or AJFA is their favourite, these are people that would never have let Metal in the front door otherwise. But for about 20 years Metallica put out Hard Rock and still these "metal" fans would sing their praises. After a big break they put out the horrible St Anger, Still get praise. They put out the brickwalled and distorted Deaf Magnetic and their producer wins the production award, the album sells by the millions and the fans that are shit on by the production quality, literally take joy in its warmth as it trickles down their bodies. Who am I to say they are wrong? How can it possibly be overrated, when people rate it? They have their subjective opinion, I have mine. All in all the Loudness War is a killer of potentially great music. It especially kills the drums!

When I look at Susan Boyle's experience. I feel that if she weren't on TV, If she hadn't gone viral on YouTube and she put out the same album, she would have sold virtually no albums. But as it is she has almost sold as much as Iron Maiden have done in their 30 years.

But music isn't just about music, it is also marketing and culture and timing. It presents an image that people want to be associated with. I am not sure you can try and seperate the music from the rest of it and then state that it is overrated.

Cecilie

Quote from: "Stevil"Fair enough call.

There are a few issues with the vocals and I can see how it irritates.
The layering has not been done well at all. It makes Bruce sound strained, especially on the title track. There is also an issue with a bit of distortion on Bruce's voice, especially on the title track again, everytime he says Final Frontier which is alot the F's sound like he is spraying sputum.
Sometimes he sounds amazing, like on Wild Wind, or the intro to the Man who would be King. At first I thought old Bruce was struggling to hit the notes, but now I really do think it is a production issue. Regardless, it is part of the final product. I've got used to it and love the music.
'When The Wild Wind Blows' is a good song and probably the only one I'll listen to on that album. Also, I don't think it's the production that screwed up his voice, I've heard him live, he's just incapable of hitting those high notes which there are a lot of in their music. Never the less, he used to be a good singer.

Quote from: "Stevil"I live somewhat in a cave. I always put my iPod on rather than listen to radio so am unaware of many mainstream songs. Never heard of 'Tik Tok'
I could easily say that 'Stairway To Heaven' is overrated. It is an extremely easy song to play on guitar and very repeatative. But if people rate it then who am I to say they are wrong?
I completely agree that 'Stairway To Heaven' is very overrated, it was just used as an example. I still like it though, but it's not my favorite Zeppelin song.

Quote from: "Stevil"Metallica, overrated? They have won over mainstream fans, not just the metal population. It's funny when you think about fans of music, there tends to be one album, one song even that catches them, then they are devoted for life. For Metallica it was the black album. Before then they were reletively unknown. But now alot of people say that MOP or AJFA is their favourite, these are people that would never have let Metal in the front door otherwise. But for about 20 years Metallica put out Hard Rock and still these "metal" fans would sing their praises. After a big break they put out the horrible St Anger, Still get praise. They put out the brickwalled and distorted Deaf Magnetic and their producer wins the production award, the album sells by the millions and the fans that are shit on by the production quality, literally take joy in its warmth as it trickles down their bodies. Who am I to say they are wrong? How can it possibly be overrated, when people rate it? They have their subjective opinion, I have mine. All in all the Loudness War is a killer of potentially great music. It especially kills the drums!
Metallica was the first metal band I listened to and although their self-titled album was the first one by them I bought (I did buy RTL later that same day :blush:

MariaEvri

hey just fans telling their opinions. I commented about Iron maiden, that doesn't mean I dont like them...
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Stevil

Quote from: "MariaEvri"

hey just fans telling their opinions. I commented about Iron maiden, that doesn't mean I dont like them...

I have no issues with you or your post. I just don't see much value in a whole thread focused on beratting people's art.
I actually think the vast majority of metal music is underrated, Maiden included. They get no airtime, no MTV, mainstream people don't get much chance to acquire a taste. Same goes for most non popular music genres. Radio and TV generally only cater for the mainstream. I know lots of people that instantly turn their nose up at the mention of Metal, but I am absolutely sure they would love some of it if they gave it a chance.

All music is an aquired taste.

Heretical Rants

Quote from: "Stevil"All music is an aquired taste.
Yup. I absolutely hated all rap until I was forced to listen to several hours of relatively crappy rap(which I still don't like--dem kids got no taste), and now I like several kinds of rap very much.
For example,
Something mainstream(ish):
[youtube:19p73ahs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd_W_x3nclY[/youtube:19p73ahs]
Japanese pop rap:
[youtube:19p73ahs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoS7F1K02d8[/youtube:19p73ahs][youtube:19p73ahs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mogBZZCJRao[/youtube:19p73ahs]
Australian hip hop:
[youtube:19p73ahs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJf4_hsVEXE[/youtube:19p73ahs]
Something a bit more obscure (melodic instrumental hiphop from Japan featuring some random rap artists, aka Ceschi and 豊川容子):
[youtube:19p73ahs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzwQP3oekW4[/youtube:19p73ahs][youtube:19p73ahs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS-TkVUQ-EA[/youtube:19p73ahs]

Melmoth

Bob Dylan. He's even worse than the Beatles as far as over-rating goes.

Quote from: StevilThis is such a negative thread, I refuse to participate.

I refuse to participate in your mum.
"That life has no meaning is a reason to live - moreover, the only one." - Emil Cioran.