News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

127 hours

Started by hismikeness, April 05, 2011, 07:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hismikeness

That's 5 days and change... just keep that in mind as you read this story, if you don't know it already:

Quote(Aron) Ralston was 150-yards above the final rappel in Bluejohn Canyon. He was maneuvering in a 3-foot wide slot trying to get over the top of a large boulder wedged between the narrow canyon walls. He climbed up the boulder face and it seemed very stable as he stood on top. As he began to climb down the opposite side the perfectly balanced 800-pound rock shifted several feet, pinning his right arm - he was trapped.

Within the first hour after becoming trapped Ralston had calculated his options and came up with four possible solutions.

* Someone would happen along and rescue him.
    * He would be able to chip away at the rock and free his hand.
    * He would be able to rig up something with the ropes and equipment he had to move the rock.
    * If all else failed, he would need to sever the arm.

Death was a 5th possibility that Ralston didn't want to consider.

Ultimately, Ralston cut off his right arm with a pocket knife, after intentionally torquing his arm enough to break BOTH bones below the elbow. Jesus H...

If you haven't seen it, get a hold of the movie 127 Hours. James Franco did a great job portraying the terror, despair, psychosis and courage that I can only imagine the real Ralston went through. After the movie, I told my wife that I would have died if that happened to me. Of course, there's really know way to know exactly how I would react, but I probably would do something stupid like eat all my food the first night, or cool myself off with my remaining water. Plus, it was his right arm pinned, leaving his left free... I can't do anything left handed.

There's a scene in the movie after he gets trapped and tries futilely to free himself by ramming the boulder where he sets out all of his gear on the rock and just looks at it and goes "OK, this is what I've got."

Has anyone seen the movie? Read the book? Been in even a remotely similar situation?
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

Cecilie

The world's what you create.

hismikeness

Quote from: "Cecilie"Is the movie gross?

The amputation scene is about 2 minutes of the movie in total, and it is intense for sure, but I wouldn't say gross. It sort of goes from cutting skin to bloody arm to the most intense scene, IMO, when he is cutting through a raw nerve.
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

Cecilie

Quote from: "hismikeness"
Quote from: "Cecilie"Is the movie gross?

The amputation scene is about 2 minutes of the movie in total, and it is intense for sure, but I wouldn't say gross. It sort of goes from cutting skin to bloody arm to the most intense scene, IMO, when he is cutting through a raw nerve.
I'd hope that they would make it realistic. I'm sure it was pretty gross in real life. Anyway, I might see the movie.
The world's what you create.