News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Lost text after being logged out

Started by Cosmo, March 30, 2011, 06:21:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cosmo

Hi all,

Sometimes it takes me a long time to write a reply, and by the time I am done and I want to submit, I find myself logged out. This would not be an issue if the server saved the text as I am writing it, but I always am redirected to a blank page once I am done logging in. Needless to say that this is very frustrating. Is there a way around it?

Thank you.

februarystars

If it takes me a while to type a reply, I just make a habit of selecting all the text and hitting copy before I submit, because the server logs me off pretty frequently. That way when I log back in I can just paste and submit everything I just took 15 minutes to write.
Mulder: He put the whammy on him.
Scully: Please explain to me the scientific nature of "the whammy."

Whitney

Another option is to write it in a text editor (like notepad or word) then paste it into the forum.  I go with the copy paste method myself.  Sometimes you can use the back button on your browser to get your text again too (as long as you don't attempt the login before trying it).

This is an issue for all forums that I've ever been on, so there really isn't any way to fix it.  Even if I knew how to code a automatic draft saving feature that would take up a lot of server power and cause lag issues...which we already have issues with more frequently that I'd care for.

Recusant

Quote from: "Cosmo"Hi all,

Sometimes it takes me a long time to write a reply, and by the time I am done and I want to submit, I find myself logged out. This would not be an issue if the server saved the text as I am writing it, but I always am redirected to a blank page once I am done logging in. Needless to say that this is very frustrating. Is there a way around it?

Thank you.

As Whitney said, the "back" button on your browser (depending on the browser apparently; I use Chrome, and have always been able to return to the text) usually will bring you to the page with your text.  I log in, then am redirected to a blank "Post a Reply" page, but hitting the "back" button a couple more times will get me there. For some forums, ticking the "Log me on automatically each visit." box before logging in will solve this problem as well. If you know you're going to be taking your time, it's safest to use "Notepad" (or some other offline text editor),  or online, "google Docs" or a Gmail account to do your writing. These last two have the advantages of autosave and the ability to access your work from different computers.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Cosmo

Thank you, I will either use Chrome or a text editor the paste on the forum.

Tank

Quote from: "Cosmo"Thank you, I will either use Chrome or a text editor the paste on the forum.
Firefox also does not lose your work if the forum times out on you.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Recusant

Addendum: I just lost a long post by being logged out while using Chrome. I followed my usual procedure of logging in and hitting the "back" button, but it didn't work this time.  My alternate suggestion for this situation follows:

When you see the "You need to be logged in..." page, hit the "back" button to return to your post.  Open another tab in your browser, go to HAF on that tab, and log in.  After that, you should be able to go to the original tab and make the post without encountering the "You need to be logged in..." page.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken