News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldGit

Quote from: Gloucester on August 20, 2016, 12:34:36 PM
Been trying to send hou a PM, OG, but suffering from the dreaded god-block on tbat function.

So, in public, hope your temp absence in your usual haunts has been due to hols or busy-ness, or business, rather than probs.

:)

Thank you, Glos.  I've been on a short break, that's all, but my crumbly self will now be at your service again.

Essie Mae

Quote from: Gloucester on August 19, 2016, 09:39:30 PM
This morning I was just reflecting on how much better I feel and how much more I can do since stopping my least fave medication.

I recently got back after being in A&E (ER to you Yanks) for cardiac tests after suffering a not so funny spell in the afternoon!

Dizzy, sweating, short of breath, both blood pressure and pulse rate yoyoing . . . Feeling some anxiety but no other symptoms of that state. Dialled the emergency number and, with my history, they decided to take me in but all checks OK, so I got chucked out again.

Gorgeous nurse.
So pleased you were discharged. Hope you continue to feel well.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Essie Mae

For the second time a slightly odd coincidence? I posted about going through the Highway Code with a young friend on HAF recently and within a day or so, there was an advert on my Twitter site about a book for young learner drivers. I forget what the first coincidence was; I didn't pay much attention. As I use a different name and email for Twitter, I guess it is coincidence, but would like to know for sure.   

Dave

It's just coincidence, dear Essie.

Relax and smile about it.  :)
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Recusant

Quote from: Essie Mae on August 20, 2016, 11:53:23 PM
For the second time a slightly odd coincidence? I posted about going through the Highway Code with a young friend on HAF recently and within a day or so, there was an advert on my Twitter site about a book for young learner drivers. I forget what the first coincidence was; I didn't pay much attention. As I use a different name and email for Twitter, I guess it is coincidence, but would like to know for sure.

It's a coincidence. Your email address is hidden here by default. Anyway, bots (data harvesting programs, for instance) don't have access to member profiles. (We're assuming for the sake of this discussion that the email address associated with your account here is the same one associated with your Twitter account. I have no idea if it is.) The only way a bot would see your email address here is if you posted it.

Generally it's a good idea to modify your address if you write it publicly online though. For instance, write it as "Person.Name |at| company.com" or something along those lines. Avoid using the @ character because bots recognize that as part of an email address.

So there's no way that the conversation you described here could be connected by adbots (programs that use things which you've written that they've found in order to create "personalized" advertisements) to your Twitter account.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Asmodean

Well... There are Cookie Monsters out there too, but yes, Recusant is correct.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: OldGit on August 20, 2016, 06:09:51 PM
Quote from: Gloucester on August 20, 2016, 12:34:36 PM
Been trying to send hou a PM, OG, but suffering from the dreaded god-block on tbat function.

So, in public, hope your temp absence in your usual haunts has been due to hols or busy-ness, or business, rather than probs.

:)

Thank you, Glos.  I've been on a short break, that's all, but my crumbly self will now be at your service again.

Nice to see you posting again, OG. :)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

I watched Ben Hur yesterday. At the end I couldn't help thinking that if you took the DVD or Blu-ray box and shook it hard enough, maybe you could hear the cries of desperate clichés which were so numerous in this movie that they were forced to materialise. :tellmemore:

The ending definitely warrants a  :wtf:!
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Siz

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 21, 2016, 01:07:23 PM
I watched Ben Hur yesterday. At the end I couldn't help thinking that if you took the DVD or Blu-ray box and shook it hard enough, maybe you could hear the cries of desperate clichés which were so numerous in this movie that they were forced to materialise. :tellmemore:

The ending definitely warrants a  :wtf:!

They weren't clichés before this film. ::)

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Buddy

I felt really bad for the bank teller when I brought in my tip money from last week. Nearly 300 dollars in ones.  :-[
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Dave

Quote from: Buddy on August 23, 2016, 06:43:17 PM
I felt really bad for the bank teller when I brought in my tip money from last week. Nearly 300 dollars in ones.  :-[
Don't they have machines there to count notes? When I sorted the cash, for banking, in a charity shop we had to get them all the same way round so the machine could recognise them.

But, hey! $300!  As an old codger I knew used to ssy, "That's a whole lot better than a poke in the ass with a sharp stick!"

(Thee original saying included, "... poke in the eye ..." but . . .)

(Bugger, I am an old codger now!)

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Magdalena

Quote from: Buddy on August 23, 2016, 06:43:17 PM
Something similar happened to me when I was a waitress. The teller probably thought that I was either a drug dealer, or a bad looking stripper. :-\  She asked me, "What do you do for a living?"  ;D

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Essie Mae

Quote from: Asmodean on August 21, 2016, 07:42:41 AM
Well... There are Cookie Monsters out there too, but yes, Recusant is correct.
Quote from: Recusant on August 21, 2016, 06:56:22 AM
Quote from: Essie Mae on August 20, 2016, 11:53:23 PM

It's a coincidence. Your email address is hidden here by default. Anyway, bots (data harvesting programs, for instance) don't have access to member profiles. (We're assuming for the sake of this discussion that the email address associated with your account here is the same one associated with your Twitter account. I have no idea if it is.) The only way a bot would see your email address here is if you posted it.

Generally it's a good idea to modify your address if you write it publicly online though. For instance, write it as "Person.Name |at| company.com" or something along those lines. Avoid using the @ character because bots recognize that as part of an email address.

So there's no way that the conversation you described here could be connected by adbots (programs that use things which you've written that they've found in order to create "personalized" advertisements) to your Twitter account.

Thank you for the reassurance and tips Asmo and Recusant

OldGit

Quote from: Buddy

Not bad pickings!

Guardian85

So I'm done with the surveying job.
The school dormitory I usually temp at opened this Monday and one of the regular staff members promptly was put on extended medical leave. Meaning that I get to pull all his shifts from today until the end of September.

Bummer about that guy getting sick, of course.  On the other hand....   

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-