News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rlrose328

He's skipped me for several years no, McQ!  Perhaps that's why?  Hmmm... :-)

I lived in Massachusetts until I was 10, so I really have no memory of it except playing in the snow.  My dad said the happiest day of his life was when he sold his snowblower.  LOL!

I'm in the Pacific Northwest and the overcast and rain we're getting right now warms my heart.  :D
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

McQ

Quote from: "rlrose328"He's skipped me for several years no, McQ!  Perhaps that's why?  Hmmm... :-)

I lived in Massachusetts until I was 10, so I really have no memory of it except playing in the snow.  My dad said the happiest day of his life was when he sold his snowblower.  LOL!

I'm in the Pacific Northwest and the overcast and rain we're getting right now warms my heart.  :D

In truth, although I was born and reared here, I've always wanted to visit the great Pacific Northwest. It's odd that a place that gets so much rain and so much overcast is always rated among the best places to live in the country. There must be something to it after all!

Maybe someday...
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

rlrose328

Quote from: "McQ"In truth, although I was born and reared here, I've always wanted to visit the great Pacific Northwest. It's odd that a place that gets so much rain and so much overcast is always rated among the best places to live in the country. There must be something to it after all!

Maybe someday...

Probably because most of the people I'm met here are transplants that WANT to be here.  :D   We did... it was here or Seattle and sometimes, we wish we'd chosen Seattle!
**Kerri**

take2gemini

If this frappr thing doesn't hurry up, I'll kill it O_O

Tom62

I'd love to live in America, the greatest theocracy... oops, I mean democracy in the world :lol:. Don't know how high the chances are of my wife getting a job in New York. She applied for a management position at the World Bank and has a job interview (by conference call) in two weeks time from now.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

tigerlily46514

wow, Tom62, what a buncha stress.  Been in those shoes, it bites.
Check this out....one time the house i was renting was on the market--had strict orders i wanted to know when it was being shown(worked night shift then, slept in the daytime, see?).

So i am sleeping away at 10am, and realize....there are people walking around in my bedroom!!!  I was initially terrified, thinking it was criminals.....then honked off as i realize it is home-buyers.....then mortified as i realize i am naked....
....how embarrassing!!

HEY TOM62,,,,,can u do things to put the home in it's most unfavorable light, i dunno, throw a stink bomb or something right before they arrive?   and like, get your kids to look all sick, put light dusting of baby powder on their faces, fret over them and say they haven't been right since you been living there, etc....

Hey i think i just converted from those churchworker's words...wow, thanks, churchworker....i'll miss all you guys here.....

Hey, Cape Cod rules!!!!  Expensive, but beautiful....kinda back in time...pristine beaches of all different kinds....
"religious groups should stay out of politics-OR BE TAXED."

~jean
"Once you explain why you dismiss all other possible gods-- i'll explain why i dismiss your god."

Tom62

Double wow, Jean. Having people walking around in your bedroom is really an awful experience. Luckily this is something that cannot happen here, because the real estate agency doesn't get the housekey when there are still people living in the house. BTW Thanks for the tips! I'm now off to rent me a couple of pale looking kids :lol:.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

tigerlily46514

QuoteDouble wow, Jean. Having people walking around in your bedroom is really an awful experience

Well, Brad pitt= maybe not so awful....ha ha!  Actually, they were as mortified as i was, went running out of the room tripping over each other !  Guess i don't look so good when i first wake up, huh!  Except the realtor, stood there staring, said, "I didn't think you'd be home!"  i started screaming at him to get outa my bedroom!  Very Jerry Springer kinda day...A real prozac moment.
Yeah, go to the local theater, get some kids who can ACT sick too....won't do to have 'em looking all lively...OH!  and sponge some water up around where the ceiling meets the walls.....

Smudge mysterious dark matter above each heating vent....

Pencil in some cracks onto the walls here and there..

.While they walk through, swat at an imaginary roach and mention how hard you are trying to get rid of 'em before they move in.....

YOU CAN DO IT TOM62!!!!!!!
"religious groups should stay out of politics-OR BE TAXED."

~jean
"Once you explain why you dismiss all other possible gods-- i'll explain why i dismiss your god."

Steve Reason

Quote from: "tigerlily46514"
QuoteDouble wow, Jean. Having people walking around in your bedroom is really an awful experience

Well, Brad pitt= maybe not so awful....ha ha!  Actually, they were as mortified as i was, went running out of the room tripping over each other !  Guess i don't look so good when i first wake up, huh!  Except the realtor, stood there staring, said, "I didn't think you'd be home!"  i started screaming at him to get outa my bedroom!  Very Jerry Springer kinda day...A real prozac moment.
Yeah, go to the local theater, get some kids who can ACT sick too....won't do to have 'em looking all lively...OH!  and sponge some water up around where the ceiling meets the walls.....

Smudge mysterious dark matter above each heating vent....

Pencil in some cracks onto the walls here and there..

.While they walk through, swat at an imaginary roach and mention how hard you are trying to get rid of 'em before they move in.....

YOU CAN DO IT TOM62!!!!!!!

Ha ha! You crack me up, lily.  :lol:
I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it. ~ Mark Twain

http://rumtickle.blogspot.com/

Steve Reason

Quote from: "Tom62"I'd love to live in America, the greatest theocracy... oops, I mean democracy in the world :lol:. Don't know how high the chances are of my wife getting a job in New York. She applied for a management position at the World Bank and has a job interview (by conference call) in two weeks time from now.

Well, this is a great country, and most of the time I'm proud to call myself an American. I think I'd even die defending it. And it's certainly a happening place. But I wouldn't mind living in Scandinavia or maybe some small tropical country. Religion will ruin this country some day, and I'm tired of fighting it.
I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it. ~ Mark Twain

take2gemini

I really hate people who think there perfect.

None of us are; get the fuck over it and accept yourself as an imperfect being.

But don't go to the other end and get all depressed about it: just deal, okay?

my random ass thought...

Dai

Honestly, I watch the news, and become sickened. The Christians hold too much power. People change their policies based on winning evangelical votes.

I packed it up, but I have a book that has tons of quotes from our founding fathers, showing that America was NOT founded on Christianity ( I swear, I want to get a copy of the treaty of Tripoli that I can carry around in my wallet).

I watch organizations within the christian coalition, and how much power and sway they hold in politics, and it makes me so sad. If the Republican party pushes Rudy G (Not Pro-Restricting A Womans Rights), then the christian coalition will push for a third party candidate, and the worst part is, that would actually have a significant enough impact on the election that the GOP is having to consider it.

This should be a fucking common sense thing. Once again, referencing the book that I don't have on hand (Fighting Words is the title. I really recommend it), it is stated that one of the questions that you are suppose to ask when making a law, is whether it is Secular in nature. If it regards a dogma, then it shouldn't be made. These are the words of our founding fathers!

Ignorance will be the death of us.

Steve Reason

Quote from: "Dai"Ignorance will be the death of us.

Indeed it will. It's so hard to reason with a religionist. Reason and faith are two concepts that shall never meet.

Steve Reason

Hey, I was thinking of becoming a member of the Planetary Society. Is anyone here a member? I'd like to get an idea about what kind of outfit they are. They won't try to hypnotize me will they??  :wink:

Seriously, I was thinking politically and such. Have they had any shading dealings or any such thing? Or do they advocate worshiping "mother earth", or have any Christian Science ties and the like?

Any info would be helpful. I'd rather not get involved with any loonies.  :D

rlrose328

Quote from: "Dai"I packed it up, but I have a book that has tons of quotes from our founding fathers, showing that America was NOT founded on Christianity ( I swear, I want to get a copy of the treaty of Tripoli that I can carry around in my wallet).

The Treaty of Tripoli is a document of which I'm fond as well... but religionists love to point out that the Arabic version that was delivered to Tripoli (2 years after being certified) does not include Article 11.  This is a curious discussion point, with non-believers insisting that it MUST have been what our founding fathers wanted because it was voted on and ratified by Congress AND printed on the front page of all newspapers at the time, with nary a comment on Article 11.  Further, when it was renegotiated 8 years later, Article was absent even from the English versions.

I still stand by the fact that the wording was there and ratified originally with not a comment or complaint to be found.  But the Christians cherry-pick facts in history just as they do with the bible.

Quote from: "Dai"Ignorance will be the death of us.

You are correct, sir.  So very sadly correct.
**Kerri**