News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

when i got the lens in my right eye replaced with a plastic one, my vision improved to an acuity in that eye that i could not remember since childhood.

looking forward to the other one now.

set the function, not the mechanism.

Asmodean

Quote from: Tank on February 13, 2024, 06:05:55 PMGetting on very well with my hearing aids, a vast improvement!

Quote from: billy rubin on February 13, 2024, 07:36:04 PMwhen i got the lens in my right eye replaced with a plastic one, my vision improved to an acuity in that eye that i could not remember since childhood.

looking forward to the other one now.
Yep. that was my experience as well. I probably spent about the first month marvelling at the capabilities of my augmented sensor suite.

I think I even posted my experience with the whole surgery thing somewhere on the forum.

Them able-bodied biological people really have no idea how nice it is to have what they have, do they? :smilenod:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Icarus

So some dumb ass kids shot up a celebration in Kansas City.  What the hell else is new?  There were lots of people at the celebration, including about 800 cops. The bullshit about the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun....didn't work quickly enough in this case. Shall we agree that 800 good guys with guns could not stop two or three bad guys with guns?

Looks like we Americans are exceptional. Exceptional in absurdity,that is. Take a look at this chart of countries with guns compared to the US.  I have some doubt about the absolute accuracy of this little chart. I will presume, conditionally, that it is somewhere in the ball park in terms of reality.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/26/world/us-gun-culture-world-comparison-intl-cmd/index.html?utm_source=pocket-newtab-en-us

Asmodean

They'd stop them, but not before the bad guys started doing damage.

Once a bad guy draws a gun, good guys with guns become desirable indeed - at least in my book. There is damage negation, and then there is damage mitigation. To avoid a tragedy is the best possible outcome. To limit its scope - the next best.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Icarus

I am sad about the lack of education in my country.

https://imgur.com/gallery/xusMUgo

Tank

That's very sad and equally horrifying :(
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

The Magic Pudding..

Oh, a post that isn't about crappy old motorcycles.
I know I shouldn't begrudge the motosickles their success.
I know it's the fault of all those with more interesting interests who've deserted us.
If I was a gracious person I'd be gracious and congratulate them on inheriting the forum, alas..

My teachers told me they were hindu-arabic

Wikipedia
QuoteThe Hindu–Arabic numeral system (also known as the Indo-Arabic numeral system[1], Hindu numeral system, Arabic numeral system)[2][note 1] is a positional base ten numeral system for representing integers; its extension to non-integers is the decimal numeral system, which is presently the most common numeral system.

The system was invented between the 1st and 4th centuries by Indian mathematicians. The system was adopted in Arabic mathematics by the 9th century. It became more widely known through the writings in Arabic of the Persian mathematician Al-Khwārizmī[3] (On the Calculation with Hindu Numerals, c. 825) and Arab mathematician Al-Kindi (On the Use of the Hindu Numerals, c. 830). The system had spread to medieval Europe by the High Middle Ages.

Quote from: Icarus on February 21, 2024, 06:03:44 AMI am sad about the lack of education in my country.

The greedy and the air-heads had you abandon your mother country before you knew what you should be about, it was never going to end well.
If you suffer from cosmic vertigo, don't look.

Asmodean

I like how the question is about numerals rather than numbers. A good many people, even among those who would ask that question, either don't know the difference or confuse the two.

A number, much like a word, is a representation of a thing (different magnitudes, in this case) A numeral, much like a letter, is the "linguistic" representation of a number. "D," for example, is a numeral in both hexadecimal and roman systems, but it represents completely different magnitudes/quantities. 0xD != D, or in decimal, 13 != 500. :smilenod:
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Icarus

13 factorial is a lot bigger than 500. 

May I assume that the exclamation mark is to signify the factorial in Viking math?

Asmodean

Quote from: Icarus on February 22, 2024, 01:28:58 AM13 factorial is a lot bigger than 500. 

May I assume that the exclamation mark is to signify the factorial in Viking math?

Nope != is "not equal." I cannot do strikethroughs on phone keyboard, so using  programming annotation.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

set the function, not the mechanism.

Icarus

I suspect that Napoleon had no further use for his pecker while in his postmortem state.

Dark Lightning

Yeeeeaaahhhhh, not clicking on that.

Asmodean

The Asmo, on the other hand, just cannot resist. There are things He must know. Although, He shall wait until He's off the clock, just to be on the safe side. :smilenod:
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding..

Quote from: Icarus on March 10, 2024, 01:14:02 AMI suspect that Napoleon had no further use for his pecker while in his postmortem state.

He might of though.
I have a small canopic tupperware container, just in case.
If you suffer from cosmic vertigo, don't look.