News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

Mom was buried today, so I'll be mostly-absent through the weekend.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

MarcusA

Quote from: Asmodean on June 01, 2023, 07:25:33 PMMom was buried today, so I'll be mostly-absent through the weekend.

I am sorry to hear that.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

Asmodean

Such is life... It is a journey with a beginning and an end, and some journeys are both shorter and harder than others.

It's... Strange. New, in a way, as states of affairs go. One of life's constants is... No more. Still, I have adopted something akin to a zen attitude to such changes a long time ago, so when reality hits me with the sight of a literal coffin going down to its final resting place, it's... How do I put it? It is how it is, and therefore how it must be. There is nothing more to be said or done - that time has passed. The Sun still keeps on rising and life goes on - until it doesn't.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: Asmodean on June 01, 2023, 07:25:33 PMMom was buried today, so I'll be mostly-absent through the weekend.

Hang in there mate :(
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

No one

Traumatic loss never truly disappears. It eventually just simmers under the surface. Ready to be awakened. Even unprovoked. Sometimes just because.

It is my sincere hope the fortune of happiness finds you sooner than later.

Asmodean

I appreciate the sentiment. I'm OK. A bit guilty somewhere in the bowels of my frozen heart for being so, but OK regardless. Overly-philosophical as I tend to get, but in a sort-of pragmatic, me-like way. Might write a poem, I think. About the good old wheel of time really being a quern - and that's OK.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

No one

The void of death has no answers. There is no correct way to feel.

billy rubin

im not there, and i have no answers.

but death is never sensible

set the function, not the mechanism.

The Magic Pudding.

Quote from: Asmodean on June 01, 2023, 10:16:10 PMI appreciate the sentiment. I'm OK. A bit guilty somewhere in the bowels of my frozen heart for being so, but OK regardless. Overly-philosophical as I tend to get, but in a sort-of pragmatic, me-like way. Might write a poem, I think. About the good old wheel of time really being a quern - and that's OK.

I was like that, I remember telling the hospital guy on the phone he didn't have to be sympathetic.  It is sad, a place you always could go to isn't any more.  In my case though both parents deteriorated before death so it was kind of a relief.  Lots of people must pretend, you should be able to hire some professional mourners, like in ancient Rome.

Asmodean

Yeah... I actually semi-seriously contemplated seeking professional help in appearing suitably-emotional, but then decided that I just have no such bone in my body, and that it would be a disservice to the whole ceremony for me to fake it. Mom does not care any more, and those who do... Well, they also know me well enough to know when I try to act.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding.

Quote from: Asmodean on June 02, 2023, 02:59:31 PMYeah... I actually semi-seriously contemplated seeking professional help in appearing suitably-emotional, but then decided that I just have no such bone in my body, and that it would be a disservice to the whole ceremony for me to fake it. Mom does not care any more, and those who do... Well, they also know me well enough to know when I try to act.

It's probably enough to be just be a bit glummer than usual.
I selected an appallingly emotional song for my mother's service.

Recusant

You have my sympathies, it's never easy to lose a parent. Carry on, estimable sir.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

Quote from: Asmodean on June 01, 2023, 10:16:10 PMI appreciate the sentiment. I'm OK. A bit guilty somewhere in the bowels of my frozen heart for being so, but OK regardless. Overly-philosophical as I tend to get, but in a sort-of pragmatic, me-like way. Might write a poem, I think. About the good old wheel of time really being a quern - and that's OK.

My Father was diagnosed with cancer when I was 12. He died just after my 17th birthday. It really didn't hit me until I was 23 when I realised he would never know I got married. He'd never meet my wife of any children I would have. I was driving at the time. I pulled over and bawled my eyes out. So don't fret about feeling nothing, it's not unusual.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

MarcusA

I must be really boring because I am loud and emotive.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

The Magic Pudding.

Quote from: MarcusA on June 03, 2023, 09:18:09 AMI must be really boring because I am loud and emotive.

No, that's not true, you shouldn't be inappropriately hard on yourself.
You are really really annoying though.
Boorish maybe...