News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

The Asmo is back from His yearly murdering of Jesus... And fixing His divine Car to the tune of some 3500 bucks. He's both pleased and grumpy, though mostly grumpy. But also a little pleased.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

FFS! What was wrong with the car?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

The Magic Pudding.

Quote from: Asmodean on April 11, 2023, 08:56:28 AMAnd fixing His divine Car to the tune of some 3500 bucks.

You seem to spend a lot on vehicles.
If that is so, why is it so?
Does it have to do with salty roads?

billy rubin

Quote from: jumbojak on April 05, 2023, 10:21:39 PMI think you need to cut a swale for some drainage. If it stays wet like that you'll just pound the stone below the mud.

yes

im ditching the side with the truck

wheels every time i go in. ive got most of it

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Asmodean

Yes, in part it does. Rust repair is very labour intensive, and in a country where a workshop hour (with one mechanic) is about 80-90 bucks, it does add up quickly, even with "quantity discounts."

What I'm doing this time though, is our/EU's version of "MOT" - a semi-yearly technical checkup and while my car has no faults in that regard, my mechanic knows me well enough to also use the opportunity to kick a few tyres and nudge a few bolts.

So, my inlet manifold be leaking coolant - not catastrophically so, but there is a leak. Additionally, my timing belt needs changing - not for the belt itself, but for a sketchy pulley in the timing assembly, which also means a new water pump and such like. Also, one of my mirrors is coming apart because of over-dried plastic. That one is most likely a salt issue.

Again, nothing catastrophic, but though it is somewhat on the scrapyard side of its normal life expectancy, if there is a fault on the car - I fix it. I still lose far less each year than I would on a depreciating 2-3 year old car.

I do have some ambitions of upgrading to a 2018-19 of the same model as I have today, however, those are about 20K bucks, and to get one, I'd have to sell some stocks - either some of my "dividend stocks" at a loss, or my "performance stocks" at an inopportune time.

So... The Flying Deutschmann is getting its spa time.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Icarus

Inlet manifold is leaking coolant???  What sort of car is this? Inlet manifolds do not have coolant. In fact they usually operate with a lower temperature than the rest of the engine because ambient air is flowing through the passages at a high rate of speed. 

If the engine is turbocharged, then there may be some reason for intake manifold cooling, but not likely. In a place that is really cold.....the Arctic circle maybe, The intake manifold may have heaters or use heat from the cooling system. In that case, then yes, the intake manifold may have some hot anti freeze routed through it.   

Asmodean

It's a CDTi Ecotec engine.

I don't think I've ever owned a modern (mmmore or less) engine where coolant and the inlet manifold did not interact. For that matter, have not owned a modern naturally-aspirated engine either. They've all been forced induction for the past like... Four cars?

Not certain about why they have coolant. Witchcraft of logistical/routing variety, probably. :smilenod:
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

$5200 car needs a $3000 used transmission, plus fuel lines, front lower control arms, and transmission lines. total cost atound $5200.

I could have bought a $10000 car and saved aggravation.

for $4000 i could get a rebuilt transmisdion. not enough money.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Asmodean

Yeah... That's kind-of my story these days.

I am, however, reluctant to upgrade the car at a stock loss, since I'd have to terminate some of my long-term positions prematurely. So... One fixes the old car to the tune of almost what it's worth.

Still, I do like The Deutschmann, and there usually is more coin to be had from where it comes from, so... Not fixing it with a heavy heart.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

It'll be interesting to see what happens when we can only buy new electric cars in the UK in 2035.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

I was standing having a pee in a public toilet at the cinema the other day and another chap tried to fart quietly. The result was a thin, high pressure, long duration, high pitched squeak. I couldn't help it, I burst out laughing. So did he. What people must have thought had happened!!!

Asmodean

Quote from: Tank on April 15, 2023, 08:31:22 AMIt'll be interesting to see what happens when we can only buy new electric cars in the UK in 2035.
Think of it this way; by that time, the brand-new Tesla on the road today is 12 years of rusting old, and probably costs what 12 year old heaps of rust do.

For most people, going electric this way can happen on their own time. Persoanlly, I'm hoping to skip battery powered for, preferably, a better refined HFC. For now though, diesel is an amazing fuel. Pretty safe, high energy density, readily available and replenishable... I like.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

jumbojak

Quote from: Icarus on April 13, 2023, 08:23:30 AMInlet manifold is leaking coolant???  What sort of car is this? Inlet manifolds do not have coolant. In fact they usually operate with a lower temperature than the rest of the engine because ambient air is flowing through the passages at a high rate of speed. 

If the engine is turbocharged, then there may be some reason for intake manifold cooling, but not likely. In a place that is really cold.....the Arctic circle maybe, The intake manifold may have heaters or use heat from the cooling system. In that case, then yes, the intake manifold may have some hot anti freeze routed through it.   

GM 3800 V6 engines were famous for coolant leaks in the intake manifold. They were great engines, but without the upgraded felpro gasket set it was a ticking time bomb. First the heat stops working. Then the crankcase gets enough coolant to wipe out a bearing. Had it happen to me years ago. The previous owner had the manifold gaskets replaced but used new old stock factory gaskets. I was trying to find the leak when it spun a bearing.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

billy rubin

Quote from: Asmodean on April 15, 2023, 12:27:31 PM
Quote from: Tank on April 15, 2023, 08:31:22 AMIt'll be interesting to see what happens when we can only buy new electric cars in the UK in 2035.
Think of it this way; by that time, the brand-new Tesla on the road today is 12 years of rusting old, and probably costs what 12 year old heaps of rust do.

look up the cost of new batteries for a used tesla.

https://climatebiz.com/tesla-battery-replacement-cost/

a used tesla is worth no more than scrap value. its no longer a car, economically.

ele tric-only is a sea change, because the cost of refurbishing a used elecyric car is nearly the cost of a new ICE car.

Asmodean

Quote from: billy rubin on April 15, 2023, 03:43:45 PMlook up the cost of new batteries for a used tesla.
That's only relevant if you own said batteries. There are systems already in place for sort-of-like leasing them.

I think that will be the ticket to a "scrappy" EV for we who don't like buying new cars because let's face it - if you don't have to, it's a terrible investment.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.