News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

I'm not the least bit afraid of dying. It wouldn't bother me much if it happened right now.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

No one

It's not death that concerns me, it's how that death will be implemented.

hermes2015

You guys have summed up exactly what I feel about death.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Anne D.

Quote from: No one on February 18, 2023, 06:54:08 PMIt's not death that concerns me, it's how that death will be implemented.

This.

billy rubin

well, im sure ive said ghis, but if i am given a choice, i want the last ten seconds of my life to be at 150mph.

people used to talk about a "good death," and ive picked mine out.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Icarus

Quote from: billy rubin on February 20, 2023, 12:20:30 AMwell, if i am given a choice, i want the last ten seconds of my life to be at 150mph.

people used to talk about a "good death," and ive picked mine out.

My local bike racing group had a de-facto prime mover person. His name was Duane.  He was a weird dude that was plenty smart about what makes bikes go fast.  He had been a military USAF aircraft mechanic in England. Married to a certifiable crazy British woman.

Duane hung in there for many years but in the end he chose to take his own life. His Norton race bike was capable of teary eyed speed. At a Clubman's road race here in Florida he chose to end it all in a deliberate collision with the Armco. He was an extraordinarily skilled rider who did not make mistakes. He left this world at about 120 MPH. May he rest in peace.

Dark Lightning

That kind of a choice leaves a mess for some unfortunate person(s) to clean up. I'm hoping that my demise doesn't cause more than my immediate family some grief or clean-up work. I have a friend who is a retired police officer, and he says that killing one's self is incredibly painful for the deceased's family. An accident is one thing. Blowing one's brains out or stringing their guts over a long run of barbed wire lacks class. That last refers to a race I got in with a neighbor, he in his truck, me on my motorcycle. We were racing on a winding road, and I passed him when he slowed down...because the road dropped several feet and turned right at the same time. I ended up on the wrong side of the road, in the dirt and gravel, with a barbed wire fence inches away. :o Yeah, that's not the only stupid shit I did back when I was young and immortal.

billy rubin

well, i dont intend to kill myself, but nobody gets out of this alive, you know?

id rather they spent an hour hosing down the runway than spend a month watching me cough my lungs away on a ventilator

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Asmodean

:smilenod: I can relate to that.

Like... I don't find the prospect of death taking bloody years appealing. If life has insufficient quality, then I no longer want quantity. An "instant" to a few seconds is just fine by me. Then, scrape me off, burn the bits and dump the ashes - preferably somewhere I can quite literally sprout a daisy, but since I'm already dead, a landfill will do just as well.

...I'm with Johnny FD on that. If you are unaware, he's a travel vlogger based in Ukraine. some time ago, he had a conversation with some volunteers about what should be done with their remains, should the misfortune strike. Johnny... Summed up my view on the issue rather neatly.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Asmodean

Now, here's a religion after The Asmo's cold, black heart! Behold St. Javelina, spreading holiness by force :smilenod:;

...Apparently, from a building in Kyiv.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Icarus

This afternoon, at exactly 6 Pm EST, my lifelong best friend, Jack Hoover,took his last breath. I was there in the room at the hospital where that took place. His demise was not unexpected as he had been ill of a an indeterminate malady for several months.

hermes2015

Sorry to hear that, Icarus. My sympathies.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

"Indeterminate" malady? It'll probably be some form of cancer when an autopsy is performed. I knew a guy online who was sick with "sepsis" for many months before dying. His autopsy showed cancer, don't remember the variety. Sorry for the loss of your friend, Icarus. :therethere:

Tank

Quote from: Icarus on March 08, 2023, 02:35:52 AMThis afternoon, at exactly 6 Pm EST, my lifelong best friend, Jack Hoover,took his last breath. I was there in the room at the hospital where that took place. His demise was not unexpected as he had been ill of a an indeterminate malady for several months.

That's a great shame. Sorry for your loss.  :therethere:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Anne D.

I'm sorry about your friend, Icarus.