News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

No one

The Barbarian:
... On the other hand this place is approaching 20 years in existence, and so what if it is mostly a few folks grumbling and entertaining each other. There are worse things.

Seriously dude, what's worse than people?

Asmodean

Quote from: No one on November 10, 2022, 05:46:38 PMSeriously dude, what's worse than people?

:headscratch: Ooh! I know! Worse people. ;D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

jumbojak

Quote from: Tom62 on November 09, 2022, 05:31:01 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on November 09, 2022, 05:15:02 PMA channel I follow on YouTube just had one of their videos pulled for manual review and age restriction. The video was produced by Dr. Chris Raynor and covered the dangers and potential health problems associated with obesity.

I wonder why they did that. My wife is obese and she suffers a lot. High blood pressure, pain in her knees and other joints, not able to walk for more than 500 meters without a rest, etc.

There's a big push right now to deplatform anyone who would have that sort of discussion. Some people are even going so far as pushing the idea that an obese person is just as healthy being obese as they would be were they not. It is a strange world we are living in.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Asmodean

Quote from: jumbojak on November 10, 2022, 09:22:06 PMSome people are even going so far as pushing the idea that an obese person is just as healthy being obese as they would be were they not. It is a strange world we are living in.
It's a world where it's wrong to make people's tiny-little feelings be uncomfortable with their poor life choices. It's a bit like some smokers going "Yeah, I don't need to hear it from you," well, keep smoking and don't listen then! I'll say what I want - you'll do with that information what you want. The pandering is sickening at times.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding.

My forum suicide seems to have failed.
Changed password to something I wouldn't remember, changed email.
Perhaps Firefox remembered even though I didn't tell it to.
Or maybe this is the afterlife...

The Magic Pudding.

I haven't noticed Icarus around since before The Great Shemozzle of 22.

The Magic Pudding.

Green this post never got posted when it should of.

Ye, this afterlife seems to be a bit glitchy.

There doesn't seem to be anyone around, the forum in the "real" world was always quiet at this time, at least after Phinx heartlessly abandoned us.  I wonder if this after life forum is in some kind of analogously similar zone, of time... or something.

You're having a lot of thoughts today.

Hey Green!
So you're dead too?

I suppose  :-\

I think being freed of that mortal coilyness must free up the thinken processes.

Ye, shame Phinx isn't here to explain it to us.
I was impressed by your use of "analogously"

Ye I know, I thought I'd just go for it and fk, no red squiggles, I like this afterlife.
I never got any instructions though, and I think I should of 'cause Alec Baldwin and Gina Davis got some in Beetlejuice.

There's no FAQ I can see, you should probably start a thread and ask for advice.

Very sage Green, I'll do that.

Do you think I should go sage?

No, I don't think that is sage or sage is available anyway.

Well that sucks, ask them if this afterlife only offers such a limited choice of hue.

Asmodean

Quote from: Cugel on November 16, 2022, 08:34:12 AMMy forum suicide seems to have failed.

Yeah, those don't survive creating a new account either. If you are determined to be on a social media (-ish) sort of platform, it's rather hard to keep yourself away and near-impossible for others to keep you away.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding.

I can keep away, I've kept away.
Anyway, why didn't you get a new rat?

Asmodean

Ooh! Now that's one for philosophers, the ages and aged philosophers.

Why, indeed?

I think a part of it is commitment to another living creature. Added responsibility I do not particularly want, though will have to give for the good parts of it that I do want. That's a fine balancing act that flips faster than a high energy electromagnetic wave.

Another part is just... Time. Sometimes I do have more than enough of it, but when I don't - then I'm sorely short of it indeed, which kind-of ties to the above.

A probably-equal part is just never really getting around to it and just figuring it out.

I don't know... There are probably other reasons there as well. I have not considered it too hard.

And yes, I am aware that you are capable of long hiatuses/quitting. I do it myself sometimes, though usually for reasons that have nothing to do with quitting or the forum or, importantly, the community in it. Real life. It tends to get real sometimes, and then... Nothing?

In any case, happy Failed Forum Suicide! That doesn't sound right... But hey, it does sound like something an Asmo would say, so... Happy that there and welcome back!
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Icarus

I have not been active for a little while because I was somewhat distracted. 

I have had a house guest from Lithuania for about ten days. He is a young man with a huge store of talents.  We first became aquainted via the internet. I was advising him about small boat design and construction.

Justinas is a classical guitarist, and teacher.  He took my advice and involved himself in a more profitable line of work in the engineering disciplines. We have been close friends for more than ten years. That is the case even though I am 60 years older that he is.

We had a helluva good time that included axe throwing, a visit to Cape Canaveral to watch the launch of one of the SpaceX beasts, Sailing my small boat, and a whole bunch of other activities.

Justinas was aware that Americans are gun crazy. He had never fired a gun of any kind. He was curious.  I took him to a local firing range and had a coach show him how not to shoot himself in the foot. His accuracy was astounding. Four inch grouping at 10 meters with my two and a quarter inch barrel S&W 38. 20 shots with the 38 and 40 shots with a 22 High Standard. Amazing. Russians are in trouble if they attack Lithuania.

We had great fun. 

billy rubin

you were shooting a high standard 22?

at what, the wooly mammoths that roamed the earth when it was made?

set the function, not the mechanism.

billy rubin

i take that back. i had no idea they stayed in business until 2018.

billy rubin

ive been looking for one of these

beretta cheetah, a 9mm-short semiauto made mostly in the 1980s. vversions in 380 can come as a single or double stacked magazine.

i once shot a version of this pistol and i was asounded at how accurate i was with it. a natural pointer, like how the colt single action army supposedly is.

i work as a gabage man these days, delivering and picking up roll-off boxes in some pretty bad parts of towns in th epre-dawn, and i gave my ruger 380 to my daughter because she was living in parking lots in her truck

jumbojak

Get yourself a Glock Billy. Glocks are now made by Glock, S&W, Sig... You can even get a Glock made by Beretta.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz