News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firebird

Time to stop lurking, wander in and say hi to everyone again. Been a while, hope you're all doing well. Especially Tank, sorry to hear you're laid up.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Recusant

Glad to see you back, Firebird!  Hope you are doing well.  :D
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Firebird

Quote from: Recusant on May 11, 2022, 04:31:49 PMGlad to see you back, Firebird!  Hope you are doing well.  :D

Me personally, I'm awesome. Got two little girls who take up most of my time and are hilarious little wise asses. Still working at the same place, though now just full-time coding rather than systems management. Lost 25 pounds a few years ago so I even look like less of a slob than before.

On the other hand, my country is completely going to shit, my daughters are losing their bodily autonomy, and I'm mentally screaming in frustration and wondering if there's a local secession movement nearby. But I guess you can't win them all.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Anne D.

So good to see you, Firebird  :D

Icarus

Welcome back Firebird.

Kinda sorta agree that your country (and mine) are going to hell in a handbasket. Our divisiveness of late, Sucks. I do believe that the far right is out of their fucking minds.

My wife, stunned me recently when she said that "I want to move to another country".  That was stunning because she is a died in the wool homegirl that loves her heritage and for the most part wishes every one well (with the possible exception of the MAGA crowd).

If I attempt to trace the cause of the ongoing socio/political rift, I keep coming up with the same prospective solution; deep end evangelicals and the sleezy pols who pander to them for their own purposes.

Firebird

Hey Icarus, hey Anne.
Leaving for another country has definitely crossed my mind, though not with any real seriousness yet. I used to think we were at least safe being in New England, but the talk of a federal abortion ban and the likelihood of more gun control laws being overturned by the Supreme court makes me wonder.

I do think that if we reached a certain point, we might just secede. I'd even put money on it happening in 50 years or so.

This would all be so much easier if I wasn't a parent. What was I thinking...

Asmodean

Quote from: Firebird on May 13, 2022, 03:57:09 AMThis would all be so much easier if I wasn't a parent. What was I thinking...
Well... It's your job as a parent to worry and see all them dark clouds behind every silver lining. Still, I think there is some cause for optimism for the World - at least the "Western" part of it, even if it may turn out differently from what we both want and expect.

The climate change will not destroy civilization any time soon - nor will abortion laws, firearms or Vladimir Putin. Oh there are forces, aforementioned very much among them, that will try, but then, there always are. The state of affairs is only really as grim as you let it be.

Them kids are going to be alright.

P.S. Yeah, yeah, I know. Who murdered The Asmo and is now wearing His Divine Grumpyface? Well... While I do like me some serious doom and gloom, there is also a larger picture and it... Is really no more messed up than it has been countless times before. There is suffering enough to make Yahweh cringe, to be sure, but there is also love and hope and ambition and all them things that drive and will continue to drive many a good life.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Firebird

Quote from: Asmodean on May 13, 2022, 09:01:04 AMP.S. Yeah, yeah, I know. Who murdered The Asmo and is now wearing His Divine Grumpyface? Well... While I do like me some serious doom and gloom, there is also a larger picture and it... Is really no more messed up than it has been countless times before. There is suffering enough to make Yahweh cringe, to be sure, but there is also love and hope and ambition and all them things that drive and will continue to drive many a good life.

Damn, you're going soft  :lol:

I appreciate that, thank you. And yes, rationally I know this is still a pretty peaceful time in the course of human history, but irrationally I'm a bit of an emotional mess lately.

Asmodean

Quote from: Firebird on May 13, 2022, 02:57:22 PMI'm a bit of an emotional mess lately.
In the world of practically-unavoidable, overly-sensationalised nonsense to make any self-respecting doomsday prophet develop some serious insecurities and penis-envy complexes about his own prophecies, that's hardly surprising.

You don't really see or hear any of the other stories. Actually, that's not quite true - you probably walk by them every day. What you don't, is get them presented to you. There is money in clicks, and people tend to click on shit with war, conflict, division or even general outrage in it. I think that's one of the leading factors in increased surface-level polarization. It's not necessarily that we fundamentally disagree on what life is all about - or even if we do, it doesn't have to be a problem, but then somebody somewhere invents or re-ignites a conflict and the whirlpool of (mis-)information starts sucking people towards whatever extremes happen to lie closest to their original position out of fear of the opposite extremes, which, according to doomsayers shall undoubtedly come to pass.

For some - they might. Still, looking at a larger picture... To poke a dead horse in the ribs, back in 2016, I was really hoping Hillary Clinton would win the elections. She didn't, and "the World was doomed! Doomed, I say!" Eight years on... Personally, I'm better off for having had Trump in the White House - financially, at least. Also, in terms of having been near-oversaturated with some superb quality entertainment. M world didn't end - neither did yours, so when the next zombie apocalypse comes and 98% of human population are totally doomed... Yeah. Statistically, I'd still expect to be one of those. If, however, I got into the 2% - a brave new world, full of brave new possibilities.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

No one

The last US president was extremely ill informed about everything. So, it's not entirely out of the question, Icarus.

billy rubin

on tbe otber hand, i noticed two years ago tbat i dont see very many butterflies anymore.

its because tbeyre all dead. along with lots of otber insects, and birds, and herps, and mammals.

an extinction event across all categories of animalia that approaches a meteroritic impact.

sure, the world survived after each impact, but the assemblage of organisms was very different after each.

tbe best thing for the world in most metrics would be a 99 percent reduction in tbe numbers of human beings. but that wont happen.

maybe

set the function, not the mechanism.

Magdalena

Quote from: billy rubin on April 19, 2022, 01:11:38 AMyou can do herbs on a bookshelf. we have a garden on top of the refrigerator.

wheat sprouts on the kitchen counter. anything in a pot somewhere. grow lights help.

ill take some photographs when i gey home.

I'm still waiting, billy rubin
 :reading:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

billy rubin

i fergot. but ill be home later today.

i should include some photographs of the ouside garden

set the function, not the mechanism.

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on May 13, 2022, 06:21:35 PMi fergot. but ill be home later today.

i should include some photographs of the ouside garden

Yes, please do. Also, more photos of when you are on the road.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Asmodean

Quote from: billy rubin on May 13, 2022, 04:12:35 PMtbe best thing for the world in most metrics would be a 99 percent reduction in tbe numbers of human beings. but that wont happen.
Thing is though, it would be best for humanity in its current form. Reduce own numbers to keep the habitat as it is for as long as possible. The planet doesn't care. The Universe - even less so. They'll keep on planeting and universing regardless of what does and does not happen in the biosphere.

Personally, I think the next/current Great Extinction will result in a more persistent state of "monoculture world." There are plants and animals that will continue to thrive - and be used by humans, but there will be less variety. Perhaps vastly so.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.