News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

Quote from: Tank on December 18, 2020, 03:21:47 PM
My brother in law died today. It was not unexpected. 69 and within a week the same age as his dad.
I'm sorry for your loss, Chris.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Magdalena on December 19, 2020, 02:23:14 AM

My brother in law died today. It was not unexpected. 69 and within a week the same age as his dad.

Me too.  This really has been an awful year.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

hermes2015

I only saw this now, so sorry for the late condolences, Tank.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Magdalena

I hate to say this, but there's something about this that feels familiar...to those of us with kids...during the quarantine.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Ecurb Noselrub

\
Yes, my condolences.

Davin

Sorry, Tank.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Tank

Quote from: Davin on December 21, 2020, 07:07:41 PM

Sorry, Tank.

Cheers all.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Sorry to hear that, Tank.  :(
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

Well, just remembering Dave...

Dark Lightning

Yeah, I was thinking about him the other day.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hermes2015

One doesn't meet many like him.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

LifeisSweet

Quote from: Tank on December 14, 2020, 09:24:07 AM
Meandering thoughts of an ape with just enough brains to be dangerous.

"Humanity no longer needs mythology to understand its place in the Universe.

There is no evidence to even remotely suggest that the Universe was created by some sort of supernatural entity. In fact quite the opposite is the case.

There is no evidence to even remotely suggest that the Earth was created by some sort of supernatural entity. In fact quite the opposite is the case.

There is no evidence to even remotely suggest that humanity is descended from a single pair of created ancestors. In fact quite the opposite is the case.

To believe something without evidence is irrational. To understand that humanity does not know or understand everything is rational.

Religions are institutionalised superstitions, in other words emotionally satisfying guesswork. Science is institutionalised curiosity, in other words the structured seeking of knowledge and understanding based on evidence.

Irrational belief is pointless and meaningless. Rational understanding is the foundation of progress. Humanity progresses because of rational thought not believing the myths of our ancestors."

This is so well put I had to read it to my spiritual wife.  If this is original I like the way you think.
"When we exist, death is not; and when death exists, we are not." Epicurus

Tank

Quote from: LifeisSweet on December 31, 2020, 04:14:58 PM
Quote from: Tank on December 14, 2020, 09:24:07 AM
Meandering thoughts of an ape with just enough brains to be dangerous.

"Humanity no longer needs mythology to understand its place in the Universe.

There is no evidence to even remotely suggest that the Universe was created by some sort of supernatural entity. In fact quite the opposite is the case.

There is no evidence to even remotely suggest that the Earth was created by some sort of supernatural entity. In fact quite the opposite is the case.

There is no evidence to even remotely suggest that humanity is descended from a single pair of created ancestors. In fact quite the opposite is the case.

To believe something without evidence is irrational. To understand that humanity does not know or understand everything is rational.

Religions are institutionalised superstitions, in other words emotionally satisfying guesswork. Science is institutionalised curiosity, in other words the structured seeking of knowledge and understanding based on evidence.

Irrational belief is pointless and meaningless. Rational understanding is the foundation of progress. Humanity progresses because of rational thought not believing the myths of our ancestors."

This is so well put I had to read it to my spiritual wife.  If this is original I like the way you think.

All my own work :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

drove back into the yard today and passed some old buddies

i punched cows on this ranch for a while a few years ago, caring for the bulls and then doing the rest f the ranch work, feeding, dencing, gathering, and so on. longhorns are wonderful animals. friendly,, curious, calf easily, not subject to much disease.

but purebreds like these are very expensive so most people won't eat em.

next to bees, working cows is the best job in the world

set the function, not the mechanism.