Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on December 11, 2020, 08:06:42 PM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on December 11, 2020, 02:56:34 PM
I have the same problem, except mine was probably caused from too much loud music.
Wow!

:grin:

:lol: That disembodied head looks satisfied enough. 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Davin

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 14, 2020, 12:16:30 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on December 11, 2020, 08:06:42 PM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on December 11, 2020, 02:56:34 PM
I have the same problem, except mine was probably caused from too much loud music.
Wow!

:grin:

:lol: That disembodied head looks satisfied enough.
Looks like money can buy happiness. Too bad you have to be wired in.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Icarus

Quote from: Tank on December 14, 2020, 09:24:07 AM
Meandering thoughts of an ape with just enough brains to be dangerous.

"Humanity no longer needs mythology to understand its place in the Universe.

There is no evidence to even remotely suggest that the Universe was created by some sort of supernatural entity. In fact quite the opposite is the case.

There is no evidence to even remotely suggest that the Earth was created by some sort of supernatural entity. In fact quite the opposite is the case.

There is no evidence to even remotely suggest that humanity is descended from a single pair of created ancestors. In fact quite the opposite is the case.

To believe something without evidence is irrational. To understand that humanity does not know or understand everything is rational.

Religions are institutionalised superstitions, in other words emotionally satisfying guesswork. Science is institutionalised curiosity, in other words the structured seeking of knowledge and understanding based on evidence.

Irrational belief is pointless and meaningless. Rational understanding is the foundation of progress. Humanity progresses because of rational thought not believing the myths of our ancestors."

That just about covers it Tank.  One is to wonder why so many of we mortals are so dedicated to the flawed logic that has to include an omnipotent being in the sky.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dark Lightning

:lol: I didn't catch that at first. Looks like this artist invented them!

Magdalena

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 16, 2020, 02:22:09 PM

Those lovely eyes :tellmemore:

Forget the monster, that baby is so out of proportion! His head is like a neck tumor...and his back!

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Magdalena on December 16, 2020, 04:26:37 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 16, 2020, 02:22:09 PM

Those lovely eyes :tellmemore:

Forget the monster, that baby is so out of proportion! His head is like a neck tumor...and his back!

Aliens!

billy rubin

Quote from: Tank on December 14, 2020, 09:24:07 AM
Meandering thoughts of an ape with just enough brains to be dangerous.

"Humanity no longer needs mythology to understand its place in the Universe.

There is no evidence to even remotely suggest that the Universe was created by some sort of supernatural entity. In fact quite the opposite is the case.

There is no evidence to even remotely suggest that the Earth was created by some sort of supernatural entity. In fact quite the opposite is the case.

There is no evidence to even remotely suggest that humanity is descended from a single pair of created ancestors. In fact quite the opposite is the case.

To believe something without evidence is irrational. To understand that humanity does not know or understand everything is rational.

Religions are institutionalised superstitions, in other words emotionally satisfying guesswork. Science is institutionalised curiosity, in other words the structured seeking of knowledge and understanding based on evidence.

Irrational belief is pointless and meaningless. Rational understanding is the foundation of progress. Humanity progresses because of rational thought not believing the myths of our ancestors."

what is "progress?"

set the function, not the mechanism.

No one

Advancement, growth, development, steady unceasing enhancement.

Leaving the dark, stagnating wilderness of ignorance for the bright, alert expanse of knowledge.

Tank

Quote from: No one on December 17, 2020, 05:14:28 AM

Leaving the dark, stagnating wilderness of ignorance for the bright, alert expanse of knowledge.

Did somebody hack your account?
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

No one

The Russians. Haven't you heard?

Tank

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Tank on December 17, 2020, 08:51:27 AM

That's not out of character, ask him how well humans are progressing.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Magdalena

Quote from: Bad Penny II on December 17, 2020, 11:22:12 AM
Quote from: Tank on December 17, 2020, 08:51:27 AM

That's not out of character, ask him how well humans are progressing.
:snicker:
You guys are funny.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant