News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davin

Quote from: Bad Penny II on November 17, 2020, 03:01:17 PM

Yes of course, you see them sitting on the publicly provided seating.
Minions, they must be, why else would they be sitting there?
I will add your input to my letter to the local council

When consulted American Expert Davin shuddered and grabbed a near chair for support, gathered himself and said, "Or in"
I don't think that will help your case, but I'll try. Maybe if my title were "American Fence Trespassing Expert, Retired."
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

xSilverPhinx

I've been feeling desperate and heartbroken today.

When I got my new puppy Joy, the very next day I took her to the vet for a check-up before vaccinations as she looked a little malnourished and was covered in fleas. The vet told me it was better to wait 7 days before vaccinating her and prescribed a vermifuge and an anti-flea-and-tick pill, which I gave her. Soon after taking the pills she would vomit and pass loose stools for the following days, which we thought to be an adverse reaction to the medication. She was eating and drinking water though, so we didn't worry as much as we probably should have. The vet prescribed antibiotics, probiotics, something to protect her stomach and a nutritional supplement so that Joy could become healthy and happy again.

When I took Joy to the vet again last week for a follow-up the vet suspected canine distemper. For those who don't know, canine distemper is a serious and highly contagious viral disease that attacks several systems of the body: respiratory, gastrointestinal and neurological. Joy had an antibody test done, which was negative for distemper, but due to a possible false negative the vet suggested she also did a PCR test, which we did.

I got the results today. Positive for canine distemper virus. With an elevated viral load.

Being an immunocompromised puppy (she also had a blood test done...she has a low leukocyte count), this could be potentially fatal, especially if the virus attacks her central nervous system. The statistics are not good.

I don't know what to do. I contacted a veterinary hospital and they don't institutionalise confirmed cases because of the contagiousness of the disease, and if Joy's health takes a turn for the worse I will have to try and manage at home.

Right now she is doing fine, though. She's eating (a lot) and drinking, playing and generally up to no good when she isn't taking a nap. I really hope she doesn't get worse as the infection evolves, but for now all I can do is continue to give her prescribed antibiotics and everything else to make her pain-free and combat secondary infections.   

:'( :sad sigh:   
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

billy rubin

well zhit

you cant win for losing, i guess

do what you can and take each day as a gift.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: billy rubin on November 25, 2020, 04:48:14 PM
well zhit

you cant win for losing, i guess

do what you can and take each day as a gift.

Yeah, all I can do is manage the symptoms and wait it out.  :( I've grown very fond of Joy and really hope she pulls through this.

Randy

Poor Joy. Being immuno compromised is a terrible thing.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

hermes2015

I am so sorry to hear the news about Joy. Let's hope that she will be one of the many dogs that recover fully without any long term health issues after she recovers. You will most probably have to nurse her at home, because it is highly contagious and I think most animal hospitals will not want to admit her.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Randy on November 25, 2020, 05:12:17 PM
Poor Joy. Being immuno compromised is a terrible thing.

Yeah, I'm giving her a high-protein diet and the supplements to boost her immune system, and I'm looking out for signs that her lungs have been compromised. So far she's breathing fine and isn't coughing. Hopefully the antibiotics are suppressing opportunistic infections there.

For instance, when she came to me I found it odd that there was a lot of discharge from her eyes. I was cleaning them 4 to 5 times a day. I have owned other dogs before and never saw that much, but didn't think too much of it, but it was one symptom that raised suspicions in the vet. Now, with the antibiotics, the discharge seems to have lessened.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on November 25, 2020, 06:10:16 PM
I am so sorry to hear the news about Joy. Let's hope that she will be one of the many dogs that recover fully without any long term health issues after she recovers. You will most probably have to nurse her at home, because it is highly contagious and I think most animal hospitals will not want to admit her.

Yes, I have no problem nursing her at home (I'm staying home till next year after all), and have checked with one animal hospital and they told me they do not admit dogs with distemper there. I suspect it's the same with other hospitals as well. Now that she tested positive, I won't even be taking her to the clinic, to protect her and other dogs from other infections.

If she got infected at the foster's then she'll be going into the third week since infection about now. So far there seems to be only gastrointestinal damage. Other than that she seems to be feeling ok. She couldn't contain her energy and just ran around in circles just now, nipping at my heels and purposely toppled her water bowl over, making a huge mess. I swear that dog will tear the house down if I so much as glance away!  :o

Tank

I really, really, really, hope she gets better!!!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dark Lightning

That's bad news about your pup. I hope she recovers OK!

Icarus

Here's hoping that Joy recovers soon.  Your love will surely count heavily toward her recovery.  Meanwhile I am sad for you and for her.  :grouphug:

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 25, 2020, 03:57:38 PM
Right now she is doing fine, though. She's eating (a lot) and drinking, playing and generally up to no good when she isn't taking a nap. I really hope she doesn't get worse as the infection evolves, but for now all I can do is continue to give her prescribed antibiotics and everything else to make her pain-free and combat secondary infections.   

:'( :sad sigh:   

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear this.  All we can do is hope for the best for both of you, which I will certainly be doing.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

Thanks guys. She's still pretty active, eating and drinking. No obvious signs that it's spread to her lungs or brain. Today we noticed she has pink eye so I'm going to see with the vet which eye droplets I should get.

I contacted the ONG I got Joy from to notify them of the test results so that they could notify the people who had taken in Joy's littermates and what I got were defensive  "she-wasn't-sick-when-she-left-here" excuses, pushing the blame, and questioning if she really had distemper even though the lab results say she does, which pissed me off! But that matters little now. What matters is I need to look after Joy, so that's what I'll do. 

Randy

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 26, 2020, 06:26:24 PM
Thanks guys. She's still pretty active, eating and drinking. No obvious signs that it's spread to her lungs or brain. Today we noticed she has pink eye so I'm going to see with the vet which eye droplets I should get.

I contacted the ONG I got Joy from to notify them of the test results so that they could notify the people who had taken in Joy's littermates and what I got were defensive  "she-wasn't-sick-when-she-left-here" excuses, pushing the blame, and questioning if she really had distemper even though the lab results say she does, which pissed me off! But that matters little now. What matters is I need to look after Joy, so that's what I'll do.
Passing blame to you? Some people have all the nerve. You did the right thing. It's too bad they don't do something about it.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Randy on November 27, 2020, 12:42:13 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 26, 2020, 06:26:24 PM

Passing blame to you? Some people have all the nerve. You did the right thing. It's too bad they don't do something about it.

I won't be wasting my breath talking to them again.